Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/o pet peeves - plate size?

esther11

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:34 pm
Yet another spin off of the pet peeves thread!

A couple people mentioned that they prefer a larger plate for the appetizer course, especially when there is a leafy salad served. Is it weird to only have large dinner plates? How do I set the table then? Do I pole two on top of each other for each person or do I clear and bring out another set when the courses change over?

I was actually given like 20 dinner plates and bowls but no matching appetizer plate. I’ve been scouring the Internet for a good match but maybe I don’t need to!

What do you think?

cm

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:37 pm
I have never seen this, and I would find it bizarre to have full-sized plates for appetizer. Salad portions should fit on the plate. Appetizers are meant to whet the appetite, not fill the stomach.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:40 pm
I think a lot of people disagreed with that post

in the most families dips and salads are small and not intended for large quantities

keym

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:46 pm
My set of Mikasa China has 3 size plates. Dinner plates are 11", appetizer plates are 8", saucers for under tea cups (that I use for dessert) are 6".
I think its absolutely appropriate to use the middle size for salad/appetizer.

But plastic plates- large ones come at 9" and small at 5"- at least the ones I buy. So I get that the 5" are a bit too small.

Eta: yes I just measured my plates. Anything to avoid starting supper. LOL

esther11

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:01 pm
Oh well. I guess back to searching...
Thanks for the input!

teachkids

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:03 pm
I think it depends mainly if you are serving a big leafy salad with appetizer. I save my main salad for the main, so apps is just small things. But if you're serving a salad with big spinach leaves, I hear why it's hard

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:22 pm
The Israeli plastic disposable plates are quite small. The nicer ones are slightly larger. Slightly. The larger ones area tiny bit bigger than my appetizer/salad plates. Mine are Noritake.
The small ones are the size of mt dessert plates which are about an inch bigger than my saucers.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:28 pm
keym wrote:
My set of Mikasa China has 3 size plates. Dinner plates are 11", appetizer plates are 8", saucers for under tea cups (that I use for dessert) are 6".

But plastic plates- large ones come at 9" and small at 5"- at least the ones I buy. So I get that the 5" are a bit too small.

Ob my comments in the earlier thread:

OP, I'd look for something simple and coordinating. Or clear all of the dishes and bring new ones, rather than stack.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:36 pm
I actually serve the salad course on a large dinner sized plate. We like to take large portions of salad, fish etc. The main course is usually just cholent or some sort of stew so I put out bowls for that.

It encourages all of us in our family to fill up on the veggies which I like.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 4:36 pm
Only set large appetizer plates if you expect people to fill them. The size of the plate should correspond with the amount of food filling it. If someone particularly likes the appetizer course, they're welcome to make large portions and serve on large plates at home. When they're my guests, they're going to receive an appetizer size plate, because that's the amount of food I have prepared for the appetizer course. I follow standard protocol, I don't poll my guests and customize accordingly. I've never yet encountered an appetizer plate so small that a leafy salad wouldn't fit.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:00 pm
We do this. We set the table with one large plate at each setting and then give out new plates for the second course.

But it sounds like our salad course is different from others. I'm having a hard time understanding what people mean when they say they only want people taking small amounts of salads but maybe they just structure their meal differently.

Our first course is challah, a 3-4 dips, gefilte fish and/or salmon, and several large salads (leafy lettuce salad, israeli salad, beet salad, spinach/kale salad, occasionally a pasta or potato salad, etc.). This is the course we sit around on and fill up on.

Later we serve chicken/cholent/whatever but many people don't take at all or just a small amount.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:56 pm
Why don't you put some extra plates in middle of table any size next to salads

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:29 am
[quote="amother"]We do this. We set the table with one large plate at each setting and then give out new plates for the second course.

But it sounds like our salad course is different from others. I'm having a hard time understanding what people mean when they say they only want people taking small amounts of salads but maybe they just structure their meal differently.

Our first course is challah, a 3-4 dips, gefilte fish and/or salmon, and several large salads (leafy lettuce salad, israeli salad, beet salad, spinach/kale salad, occasionally a pasta or potato salad, etc.). This is the course we sit around on and fill up on.

Later we serve chicken/cholent/whatever but many people don't take at all or just a small amount.[/quote

In my community dips and small salads are intended to whet the appetites they are not intended as part of the meal and I deliberately provide small place because I don't make large amounts of any of those things.
I serve a large leafy salad later with chicken

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
I'm having a hard time understanding what people mean when they say they only want people taking small amounts of salads but maybe they just structure their meal differently.

I think the difference may be in what they consider salad. Salads, for some, are like dips to others. That makes sense to calculate only small portions. But leafy salads are something that people take more off, usually, and it's nice to give bigger plates for bigger portions, IMO.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:46 am
In my mind a large salad is part of the main course

Theappetizer course is dips and small salads like corn salad and hummus and olive dip and tomatoes dip would be served in the appetizer

and I would expect people to take small amounts

and the romaine lettuce salad would be in the main course and I would expect people to take a large amount then

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:54 am
My question is how is the lettuce cut? Big pieces take up ore plate space and are less elegant to eat.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:09 pm
keym wrote:

My china is the same, and I use the 8" plates for salad. I sometimes set the table with all 3, and put fish on the 6" plate. That way people can have salad on a separate plate that is not "fishy". I also do this if I am serving a salad with meat/deli in it.

I have seen 7" plastic plates for sale, so those could be used in the same way, and would accommodate more salad than the smaller ones.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen