Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
One Dishwasher for meat and milk?
Previous  1  2

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 1:42 pm
Thanks for the response and the links.
I didn't want to be rude and ask the family about their psak, so this was very enlightening.

perquacky

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 1:45 pm
I believe Rav Moshe paskened that you can use the same dishwasher, but you have to change the racks.
And from what I've read, Sfaradim use one dishwasher for both and either wash milk and meat together or separately. But no switching out of the racks.
Regardless, do your own research and ask your rav. But I think you'll be hard-pressed to find an Ashkenazi rabbi in the States who will say it's okay.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:
I'm curious if anyone holds that you can use one dishwasher for meat and milk?
I was in a Dati Leumi community in Israel recently where they did this and was wondering if anyone else does

I was told it’s absolutely forbidden.

aliavi

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:24 pm
I teach kashrus. There is a thought to change the racks. There is also a consideration if the inside of the dishwasher is metal or plastic. There is also a consideration for food residue in the dishwasher drainage. There is also a consideration that the plates are glass with no cutlery.

You are to follow the local minchag/local Vaad with consideration to dishwashers. Call them. OU kosher has a hotline.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 2:40 pm
aliavi wrote:
I teach kashrus. There is a thought to change the racks. There is also a consideration if the inside of the dishwasher is metal or plastic. There is also a consideration for food residue in the dishwasher drainage. There is also a consideration that the plates are glass with no cutlery.

You are to follow the local minchag/local Vaad with consideration to dishwashers. Call them. OU kosher has a hotline.

I would follow my rav before following a local Vaad. Isn’t that why people have a rav?

aliavi

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 3:05 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I would follow my rav before following a local Vaad. Isn’t that why people have a rav?

In my community, rebbeim of the Vaad are respected and deferred to for questions such as these even by shul rabbis. It may be different in your area. Presumably you are serving people in your community so there needs to be some standard.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:19 pm
aliavi wrote:
In my community, rebbeim of the Vaad are respected and deferred to for questions such as these even by shul rabbis. It may be different in your area. Presumably you are serving people in your community so there needs to be some standard.

I didn’t mean to imply that they are not. All I meant was that the local Vaad is not necessarily along the same halachic train of thought as us.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
When I accidentally washed a dairy pot in my fleishig dishwasher the Rav said that it's ok or not ok depending on what the heating source is on that model dishwasher. It was a technical thing. Meaning how the hot water gets hot. If it happens in the machine or in he pipes , something like that. I can't remember . But based on that we checked and it was ok.
Maybe in Israel the dishwashers source of heat to the water is the same.

There is a very big difference between matiring something bdi eved and saying l'chatchila it's ok. There are many nafka minas like this when it comes to basar v'chalav.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:06 pm
aliavi wrote:

Well we've already discussed whether one should follow the local Vaad (I'm on the ask your own rabbi side) but I'm curious how one would find out what the lcal Vaad held (if that's what they wanted to know) by calling the OU hotline.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:36 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Well we've already discussed whether one should follow the local Vaad (I'm on the ask your own rabbi side) but I'm curious how one would find out what the lcal Vaad held (if that's what they wanted to know) by calling the OU hotline.

I think those were two separate things. You can call your local Vaad, OR the OU has a hotline.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:57 pm
It’s a legitimate opinion. Mycommunuty does not allow that standard.

aliavi

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:07 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I think those were two separate things. You can call your local Vaad, OR the OU has a hotline.

Yes. Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen