Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Liberty Sci Center vs NY Hall of Sci - worth the cost?

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:40 am
I told DD8 I'll take her to a science center to celebrate a milestone. We're thinking Liberty Science Center because we pass the cool giant dome on the highway every so often and have never been inside. However, NY Hall of Science is much cheaper admission plus no tunnels and tolls on the way. And it's also ranked as one of the best science museums for kids. Anyone been to both and can tell me if it's really worth the difference?

LSC would be $55 for both of us, plus transportation (assuming one theater show, which is a must for this particular trip which is supposed to be a major treat)
NYSCI would be $35 for both of us, and no tunnel.
Hm, on the admissions page it looked like a huge difference but for $20 (plus tolls, EZ Pass helps you not think too hard about that until after the fact, lol) I can spring for a special experience for the DD. Only issue is feeling slight guilt for leaving other DD out of it. Maybe we'd do it again in a couple of years.

Is NYSCI exciting enough to get a family membership for a year for $100? I don't think I'd bother with membership to LSC, even if it turns out to be awesome enough to go again we aren't likely to go more than twice within a year. On the other hand, NYSCI is free entry if we can pretend to be morning people one Sunday.

Tech_mom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:30 am
NY Hall of Science is REALLY boring.
LSC is interesting.

I have kids who have been to both with me and with school. they all say the same.

BTW:
NY Hall of science used to have free entry on Sunday mornings before 11 AM.
LSC: often has groupons or the like to bring down the price a bit.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:49 am
I don't know your finances, but LSC is head and shoulders above HOS. We've gone to HOS before, especially when it's free, and it's fine for younger kids, but I definitely wouldn't get membership there. If you can afford it, I'd definitely spring for LSC. You can save money by parking on the street just outside their lot and walking in.

4pom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:55 am
I havent been to both but did get tickets free at my local library. For HOS. Check out that option.
Good luck.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:03 pm
Liberty Science Center, is definitely worth the extra costs.
We went to Hall of Science in the summer and then went to the Queens zoo right after, it's a 5 minute walk. Also, there is a small Amusement park and a Kosher Ice Cream truck right near the zoo, if you go in the summer.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:07 pm
LSC hasn't had a Groupon in years.
Hall of Science is definitely not boring, but possibly not enough to visit several times in one year. But there are a lot of nice things. And they have this really cool interactive wall ecosystem thing.
I'm going with LSC this time iyh and getting excited. My kid deserves it Smile

amother
Caramel

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 6:28 pm
Bumping this up, thinking of taking my young children (5 and 3) to one of these and want to know which one is better for those ages. Thank you!

amother
Currant

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 6:39 pm
We loved hall of science. Ages 2-7. Liberty science center also great but I thought hall of science was amazing. Was also there as a teacher of 9 yr Olds and all enjoyed. LSC was even better for teens

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 6:50 pm
Both places pay for themselves in 2 visits if you get membership. If you think you might visit at least twice, it's totally worth basic membership. Also if your kids are young, membership is very worth it because you can go for a short time and then go back again and again for however short without feeling like you have to persevere through crankiness to get your money's worth.

amother
Caramel

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 6:58 pm
Thanks! I'm not sure when we'll be able to go to either of them again so I rather do the better one tomorrow if you think there is any advantage of one over the other?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:08 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
Bumping this up, thinking of taking my young children (5 and 3) to one of these and want to know which one is better for those ages. Thank you!

Why not just save it till their older and go to a childrens museum now? Those ages are so so little

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:20 pm
Hall of Science is a participating museum on the Cool Culture card, if you have one

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:58 pm
We recently went to the Hall of Science and were somewhat disappointed. The basic entrance fee doesn't get you that much and all the extra exhibits add up quickly. We went with a big family group so we only paid for the basic entrance for everyone and we missed a lot of what they used to have before they renovated. The kids all enjoyed the bubble area, but it was very crowded. The central area had a few craft stations, which interested some kids but not others. The older kids were able to get more out of the science explanation areas, but the younger kids weren't interested unless the stations were interactive, and the more fun ones had lines of kids waiting for their turns.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries