Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ohr Simcha of Englewood
1  2  Next

csm

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 8:16 pm
We still do not know know where our son will be going to yeshiva. Does anyone have current information about the boys at Englewood? Do the rabbis motivate unmotivated boys? Are they very strict about things such as colored socks and wearing a hat and jacket for benching? Are the boys happy there?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:44 pm
Bump if anyone knows

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 2:57 am
Please can someone update me on regards to the boys style, background, are they more trendy / cool. What clothing are yes and not allowed.

If theirs anything I need to know before I send my son it would really be helpful if you can share all details.

Pros and cons too.

Thx.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:00 am
If you only want to know about the dress code- it’s white shirts and dress pants for davening and learning. When they are hanging out most boys wear black jeans style pants with Hollister T-shirts or something similar. They also wear tiros pants for sports. 9th grade is very strict with the dress pants for davening/learning while the other grades it’s not such a big deal.

I’ll tell you a little more even though you only asked about dress.
The boys are all happy there. The yeshiva is like a family. The rebbeim connect to each and every boy and bring out the best in them. If your son is the type that wants to be cool and succeed in learning and you are the type that wants him to be a ben Torah more than anything then this is a good place for him. Every boy is really a person who shines there. It’s like sending your son to live with a foster family while still having his real family.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 8:33 am
Oak Tysm !!!!

I really appreciate your response.

I don’t know why I feel so jittery sending but it’s probably because my son is young and leaving home and it’s really the unknown!

What does black Jean /pants mean bc I thought they need to wear cotton pants?

What you mentioned about being a Ben Torah, yet still maintaining a frum yet chilled outlook in life is just so perfectly describing hin.

What do the boys do at night. Is it “heifer”?

Are they into “designer” clothing in particular?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 8:54 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Oak Tysm !!!!

I really appreciate your response.

I don’t know why I feel so jittery sending but it’s probably because my son is young and leaving home and it’s really the unknown!

What does black Jean /pants mean bc I thought they need to wear cotton pants?

What you mentioned about being a Ben Torah, yet still maintaining a frum yet chilled outlook in life is just so perfectly describing hin.

What do the boys do at night. Is it “heifer”?

Are they into “designer” clothing in particular?

I think anything goes as far as dress as long as it doesn’t stand out. I don’t think they’re into designer things but most boys like to have the cool look. These types of boys need to look cool to make them feel good and if they are not learning, yeshiva let’s them dress like that. My son says that every day there are packages delivered from Hollister.

It is not hefker at night at all. There is a strict curfew and they shut the lights through the circuit braker. There is a dorm counselor who makes sure they are in bed. My son has a shabbos lamp near his bed for a little light after lights are shut.

It’s a great place. They bring out the best in each boy. I was also very worried the first year I sent my son but it seems to be one of the best things that happened to him. My son also started off very young and had never even gone to sleep away camp so I was very worried. Now that he’s been there for a while it’s like a second home for him.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 9:17 am
My son has never been to camp before since we usually go abroad so it’s also a first time experience being away from home.

Are the boys getting packages ordering clothing and stuff for themselves or it comes from home?

What kind of pjs do they boys sleep in?
Are colored patterned socks a prob?

I know sometimes school rules are strict but sometimes the boys kind of adhere to their own style anyhow. ( like my sons class did last year in school) What are they very strict on and what are the things boy wear/ do that is considered “regular” at this point even though the school rules say not to …
Example :Last year my sons class didn’t let certain color pants but a lot of boys just got away with it.

I don’t want my son to do the wrong things but I want him to feel Uber comfortable and settle in quickly and feel part of the crew …

Any other things my son Should bring from home that would help make a difference to make him feel comfortable? the Shabbos light is a great idea especially since theirs curfew.

Oak, you really are being super supportive!!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:05 am
Can you plz link the pants style the boys wear.

I need to shop and I feel like I’ve got tonz to do bc I’m starting from scratch with this new Yeshiva

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:17 am
My son has never been to camp before since we usually go abroad so it’s also a first time experience being away from home.

Are the boys getting packages ordering clothing and stuff for themselves or it comes from home?

What kind of pjs do they boys sleep in?
Are colored patterned socks a prob?

I know sometimes school rules are strict but sometimes the boys kind of adhere to their own style anyhow. ( like my sons class did last year in school) What are they very strict on and what are the things boy wear/ do that is considered “regular” at this point even though the school rules say not to …
Example :Last year my sons class didn’t let certain color pants but a lot of boys just got away with it.

I don’t want my son to do the wrong things but I want him to feel Uber comfortable and settle in quickly and feel part of the crew …

Any other things my son Should bring from home that would help make a difference to make him feel comfortable? the Shabbos light is a great idea especially since theirs curfew.

Oak, you really are being super supportive!!

The boys are probably ordering online when they go home and have it delivered to yeshiva. Or maybe calling home to ask someone to order for them?
They definitely wear patterned socks but plain black is okay too.
My son sleeps in an undershirt and shorts but that’s what he likes. I’m sure boys wear other things like sweat pants and t-shirts.
My son always tells me no one follows all the rules when I ask him if something is allowed. I know the ninth grade Rebbi, rabbi dworetzky is pretty strict about following the dress code but there’s leeway. Buy him the dress pants but he should have a pair or 2 of regular casual. Also they’re very in tiros when they play basketball and hang out like on motzei shabbos.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:22 am
Can you plz link the pants style the boys wear.

I need to shop and I feel like I’ve got tonz to do bc I’m starting from scratch with this new Yeshiva

Get him stretch dress slim pants from ‘his place’ or ‘shirt stop’.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:33 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Get him stretch dress slim pants from ‘his place’ or ‘shirt stop’.
[b]

Thank you! I’ll go check out their stuff.

What does causal pants mean - when do they wear that if my son wears tiros for after school activities?

Where do I get such pants from?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:39 am
[b]

Thank you! I’ll go check out their stuff.

What does causal pants mean - when do they wear that if my son wears tiros for after school activities?

Where do I get such pants from?

Not all the boys wear so don’t worry about it. If he wants it he’ll tell you and you’ll buy it afterwards. It’s regular gap pants, target pants whatever the boys were wearing till now. Slim fit of course.
Some boys like to wear those pants instead of dress pants. Some rebbeim don’t care, some do. No need to start off with it.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:48 am
Thx for clarifying.

I really appreciate all the info!

If theirs anything else that you can think of that I can send with my son to make him feel comfy, please update me!

I gave over the info you mentioned to my son and he was so glad to have a feel of the dress code …

Would you say all dress / casual pants are navy ?

My son is a little self conscious so I want to get it right the first time 😝

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 11:04 am
Thx for clarifying.

I really appreciate all the info!

If theirs anything else that you can think of that I can send with my son to make him feel comfy, please update me!

I gave over the info you mentioned to my son and he was so glad to have a feel of the dress code …

Would you say all dress / casual pants are navy ?

My son is a little self conscious so I want to get it right the first time 😝

When my son started he bought 2 navy, 1 charcoal gray and 1 black. I think after the first month we bought more but that’s how he started off. Navy is probably the most popular color but the others are worn too. My son was used to throwing his pants in the laundry before he started with dress pants. I had to explain that it’s okay to wear dress pants 2 (maybe 3) times if they are kept clean which also meant that I had to show him how to hang them up on a hanger.
Tell your son that everyone is nice in Englewood. There is no bullying. The older boys are actually nice to the 9th graders and stop to say hi and welcome them. They all know each other. There’s only one class per grade and the classes aren’t large. The ninth grade Rebbi will make sure everyone is settled and okay.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:38 pm
Omg!! You have no idea how much better I feel now. Thanks for giving me the ins and outs of this Yeshiva!

What shoes do the boys wear during the day. Loafers, or sneakers? Any particular style the boys wear?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 4:02 pm
Omg!! You have no idea how much better I feel now. Thanks for giving me the ins and outs of this Yeshiva!

What shoes do the boys wear during the day. Loafers, or sneakers? Any particular style the boys wear?

You’re welcome!
They wear black loafers
They hang out in slides when not learning
They wear sneakers when playing sports.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:31 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
You’re welcome!
They wear black loafers
They hang out in slides when not learning
They wear sneakers when playing sports.
[b]

Fantastic. Thx again for all your help, so clear and detailed.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 8:02 pm
Can T-shirt’s / sweaters have big words and logo or just small logos permitted ?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 9:39 pm
Can T-shirt’s / sweaters have big words and logo or just small logos permitted ?

Yes
I always say that Hollister should pay them to advertise for them

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 9:41 pm
What kind of boys go there? I live in Teaneck and was wondering.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics