Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ISO success stories of LD children

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:00 pm
We are beginning to explore and trying to understand our child's learning disabilities although we have no specific diagnosis at the moment. I am struggling with such intense sadness and fears for the future.

If you have a child or know one who needed special ed services and had significant learning disabilities, did they grow up to be successful adults even if they weren't very successful in school?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:20 pm
don't know if my dh counts but he supposedly was diagnosed with dyslexia or some sort of reading disability as a child and I think he was supposed to get certain accommodations/special ed but I don't know if he ever actually did. He went to public school. He also just didn't like doing his school work. He almost failed 12 grade English but I think that was his fault for just not doing his work Wink He still has trouble reading out loud... but he got a college degree in computers and is incredibly competent and intelligent. He always says how he doesn't understand how he a dyslexic baal teshuva is the one who is often davening for the amud when all logic says it should be so much easier for the ffb guys with no learning disabilities. Many children with learning disabilities are actually very smart.

I believe my brother was in special ed through highschool (yeshiva) and he ended up learning in kollel for many years and now he is a rebbe in a beis medrash for boys who need extra help learning.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:47 pm
There are so many success stories!

Chances are that Einstein and Mozart had ASD. That Mark Twain, Robert Frost, Vincent Van Gogh, and Michael Jordan (to name a few) had ADHD. There are superstars in every walk of life who have dealt with learning challenges, and become great.

It's about getting the right help, and building the right attitude, learning to work with oneself instead of making excuses.

Hang in there.

4pom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:05 pm
From the title I thought you meant a real story book and I came to recommend a book by Patricia Polanca called, Thank you, Mr Falker. It is
about her own experience in school with dyslexia and now being an author.

Aside for that, as others have said, many LD people are very successful and accomplish much. I recently heard a speech by the founder of an organization who went through college in the 90s with dyslexia. His organization is about helping the LD and he is highly sought after and successful and still cannot read. He went through college with books read to him via computers. And in those days there was little awareness and accommodations. I will try find his name.
ETA: David Flink (Author of "Thinking Differently", Leader for the Learning Rights Movement)

And then there are other challenges. On the ASD spectrum.
Sometimes we have to redefine what we call successful.

I do believe you need to allow your feelings and not judge them or fight them. Once you’ve processed them a new energy of hope and courage can come in. But it makes sense for a part of us to be scared and sad and worried. At the same time another part can be hopeful and trusting and accepting. In a talk by this David Flink he spoke about the parental support he had.
Hatzlacha.
Children need our love for who they are. Im talking to myself too.

Last edited by 4pom on Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:13 pm
I had an undiagnosed LD growing up. I'm manager at a large corporation today.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:50 pm
My ld child has learned so many more life skills than his siblings and imo is better prepared for real life. He turned out because of it as a harder worker and doesnt give up and throw tge towel in much stronger than non ld children. He also learned to excel at school eventually with the right help, interventions and accomodations. Do not despair. It can be a blessing in disguise. It costs money but get the help. Get officially tested and diagnosed. Many universities offer this for a good price. Provide the right tutors who specialize and succeed, get approved for accomodations. And most importantly make sure they have an area in life they excel in such as a sport or instrument. Read them stories of success like thomas edison, and other greats who stunk at school at least initially. Ld children who were provided the right help tend to catch up in high school and surpass in college level.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:43 pm
Here is an article about five very successful people who have dyslexia:

http://fortune.com/2015/10/15/.....exia/

Charles Schwab particularly has been very vocal about his challenges with dyslexia. Google it for more stories and information.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:48 pm
DD's social worker showed her a video of very successful people who have ADHD and other challenges. I can ask her for the link.
Every once in a while I assure myself that dd will succeed in life. I envision her doing all sorts of things with different talents she has. Hatzlacha!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:
We are beginning to explore and trying to understand our child's learning disabilities although we have no specific diagnosis at the moment. I am struggling with such intense sadness and fears for the future.

If you have a child or know one who needed special ed services and had significant learning disabilities, did they grow up to be successful adults even if they weren't very successful in school?

I had a colleague who completed something like grade 9 before he dropped out. Serious ld. Now a successful businessman.

Another had such severe adhd that he presented as developmentally delayed at 16. He is an ER physician and businessman.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:05 am
There's a very highly sought after chinuch expert and speaker who said outright, "I have dyslexia".

Tirza

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:25 am
My son has a significant learning disability. I was told that he will always need to be in a special ed class, and that I shouldn't expect too much academically. When he was in preschool, 6 different yeshivas refused to take him into their first grade class. One finally agreed, and he thrived there. He is now in college, and he has almost a perfect A average, tons of friends, and a very happy life and bright future ahead of him.
Give your child tons of love and support and confidence, find the right schools for him, and believe in Hashem. You will see amazing results over the long term.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:18 am
I agree with the above, that success is definitely possible.

At the same time, maybe you can redefine success. Like I know someone who is content with a lower end job, but he's married and I'm assuming having Nachas from his kids, and that's enough. Even very bright kids can end up without wildly successful careers

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:31 am
Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Nikola Tesla, and pretty much any other great entrepreneur you can imagine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)