Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I have a LAP!
Previous  1  2

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:02 am
urban gypsy wrote:
I have no idea who you are but I clicked your link and checked out your progress photos and had to reply to say that YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL ! Sunny

Thank you! That’s such a nice thing to hear!

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:55 pm
Look at you! Yay yay awesome!
Wishing u continued success & health! πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸŽ†

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:48 pm
Wow!! Amazing!! Keep up the great work!

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 5:06 am
I love your post
You must feel so much better B"H!
And I love how you write your "new sanity"
truth
good for you for NOT listening to any naysayers, I never understood how people can make comments or critique like you're going too far or whatever...and not just be supportive!
or quiet.
YES you are doing what works
YES you are doing what works for you!
I totally get having to stick to it all the way all the time
but even if I didn't ....the proof is in the high fat low carb pudding Wink!
Wow its so awesome when you find what works for you!
Really an example of freedom from slavery.
Much continued hatzlocha!
Health and happiness!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 5:24 am
'So we cried out to the Lord, God of our fathers, and the Lord heard our voice and saw our affliction, our toil, and our oppression. And the Lord brought us out from Egypt with a strong hand and with an outstretched arm, with great awe, and with signs and wonders.'

I've been thinking about this phrase a lot in the months and weeks leading up to Passover. It's a big thing that we are supposed to feel as though we personally left Egypt, every single year. At the risk of sounding like a terrible Jew, I never really did feel it all that much. Honestly coming from a family that was finished coming to Canada by 1905, it's not as though I have personally experienced persecution, or even any particular prejudice as a Jew. Most of the people I know personally are like me. Open, Accepting. Don't judge books by their covers. What would I know about being a slave? Being hurt for what and not who I am? Forced to do things I don't want to? Not really. This is Canada. I'm pretty free and so have been my family members since the last immigrants to Canada in 1905.

So, never really did I connect with the whole idea of being a slave and brought out of Egypt personally. Of deliverance. I'd never thought of myself as particularly held in thrall....
And then, May 14, 2017 happened. Boom. Retinopathy. Here I am, a 315 pound, heavy duty compulsive eater, five foot two, fifty year old woman, who while only pre diabetic (AIC 6.4) is diagnosed with Retinopathy. Having lost hope years before about ever gaining control over my relationship with food, and having been relentlessly triggered to eat compulsively every single time I tried to get it under control. Once, a non-descript trip to the dietician sent me spinning. And all she asked me to do was be mindful.

So, as the ten and a half months that passed between may 2017 and now went and things became much more controlled for me, the idea that I really do understand deliverance and freedom and indeed, slavery, became a fairly pronounced trope in my head. As passover preparations started (and I had to think about how I would handle Matzah and wine/grape juice at seders) the idea that I really had won my freedom from the compulsions that enslaved me, tortured me, gave me misery and indeed oppressed me really started me thinking.

I cannot tell you how many times I prayed for a reprieve from the tyranny of eating compulsively in my life. The darkness that I experienced throughout my life around my body image, my lack of control, the shitty committee in my head, external negativity about my size (Mama! look at that fat lady!) and the hopelessness that I might ever be able to solve the problem. was grim.
Sometimes, I came close to an answer- but always missing some component that would have made it sustainable for me. For example, in Grade 9, I ate one meal a day and about 500 calories a day. Sure I lost weight, but it was truly unsustainable.

I did Optifast. That was seriously unsustainable the second I started eating again. I regained like 30 of my sixty pounds lost almost overnight. Never cheated once on the shakes but could not live as soon as the food started. No amount of teaching or learning was going to help my manaical eating.
Weight watchers, Jenny Craig (ask me about their hilarious kosher food plan at the time) and god only knows how many starts at my own desperate attempts to somehow get my food addictions and compulsions under control. I wanted to keep eating the way I was and lose weight too. I wasn't seeing that doing the same thing over and over again was just keeping me where I was and because of the nature of addiction, making me worse.

I'll add a special mention of Overeater's Anonymous. I think the 12 steps are awesome. I wish, I'd realized that despite my decided preference for savoury food, the carbs that I ate made it virtually impossible for me ever to recover physically. As long as I was eating carbs of any description, I was going to suffer from cravings. So yeah, that apple on grey sheet? Not gonna let me recover. having to limit myself to 1200 or so calories a day from over 4000? Not gonna happen. The attitude that if it wasn't done perfectly, it was going to ruin everything? WHY EVEN TRY? I would never really ever have tried gray sheet for that reason alone...Even when I achieved 'abstinence' 20/24 hours a day working on programme- I was a crappy wife, mother, daughter and sister.

It turned out the cure to fix my retinopathy was also the key to my disordered eating. Taking all the carbs except 20g a day out of my daily food really made a shocking difference to me. Cravings were relieved- in the beginning, my need to overeat was assuaged by eating as much as I wanted of protein, fat and vegetables- thus was the carbohydrate addiction broken. Over time, I was able to eat less and while the first fifty pounds just sort of fell off, the past 25, have been a challenge. STILL, while actively losing weight or not, I haven't regained any weight and any time I start feeling like I am on thin ice, I up the amounts of salt and fat I eat, to help really keep those cravings down.

I am LIVING with the food that I need to sustain me now. I am no longer a slave to it. The past ten plus months have given me the confidence to reduce the amount I eat actively to help continue losing weight. I am not thinking about food all the time any more. Yeah, I know I talk about my way of eating a lot- it a lot-mainly because I get a lot of questions from people about what I did and how to do it and also because when I talk about it, it reinforces what I've learned and accomplished- Not unlike how we perform the passover seder year after year, so we remember. And now, thanks to retinopathy and the solution, low carb high fat foods, I really understand being released from slavery.
I love eating how we eat. For the seder, Marc made us charoset out of jicama with no sugar. It was amazing! We all enjoyed the greben (crisp chicken skin) and our two seders where we had almond balls in the soup as well as roast vegetables, broccoli and cauliflower mash along with the traditional celery, horserdish and eggs. We ate prime rib, duck, ox tail, turkey breast, and sweetbreads. Sumptous food, as befits the occasion! No suffering here!

The signs and wonders, are no doubt my normal blood tests, and my numerous non scale victories. I am so grateful to have learned how to treat the scale as only one tool in an arsenal of other tools...the 75 pounds lost don't hurt either, but its in the significance of those pounds lost (vis a vis Non scale victories) that I find true meaning!

So, this year, I really feel like I left Egypt. I might still be in the desert- I might be there forever, but now that I have left Egypt, I never want to go back. I want to continue to learn to live in freedom, for all the days of my life. March 2018

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 5:50 am
thank you for your most beautiful and illuminating inspiring post
You should speak about it! You have a lot to pay forward.
Thank you so much.
Truly very moving.

You could submit to magazines /publications
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise