Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seeking practical advice - Lakewood boys schools

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:01 pm
Disclaimer:
I am NOT moving out of Lakewood, we are HAPPY here, we were prepared for this possibility... Now I want to know our next step.
We applied to no less than seven schools for our upcoming primary boy. He is actually our youngest, but my only other son is special needs so his school is not the right setting for my little guy.
So far we got six rejections. The seventh school is hemming and hawing. Yes they got word that my son is a bit immature for his age. (In other words he cries more easily than other boys his age and will probably be more introverted and sensitive than his peers. He is NOT a behavior problem at all, and his academics are up to par.)
So at this point I feel like the Vaad should have what to work with. I mean, seven schools! I would be pretty much okay with any of them, some more than others. Can I say I've done my part and the Vaad will work with us to get my son into one of those seven schools? Or do I have to keep on applying my son to #8... #9... #23... #87....?

(Naturalmom5 need not insert cynical comment here, much as I like you! Very Happy )

Sebastian

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:05 pm
I would try to harass #7 and if there are other schools you would consider try those too. The vaad will get you into a school, it may not be the best fit for you or your son.

Hugs! Your little guy sounds like a sweetie.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:06 pm
That must be really hard for you. I feel really bad! I have noticed that the vaad writes that if you applied to at least 3 schools and didn't get in, then you can call them. Id say you did your hishtadlus, and leave the rest up to the vaad. It must be very unnerving until you actually get into a school, but I think they'll work with you, as you have obviously done your fair share (assuming these schools are of your basic hashkafa)

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:15 pm
My heart goes out to you and all the other families in your position. Please know that you're not alone. Seven schools will give the Vaad plenty to work with; your son is NOT the bottom of the barrel and he will make it into a good school. Be persistent and keep calling the Vaad. A choshuve rav in Lakewood recently told me there's no such thing as overkill when you're advocating for the chinuch of your children. Call, call, call. And daven.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:33 pm
Thank you ladies, your kind words have given me chizzuk!
I know this is par for the course in Lakewood for nearly every family, sooner or later. Just trying to ride it out. Thanks everyone!!

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:46 am
We went through something similar last year
1- If they rejected you because they said there no room try and try again. There is room for that one extra kid, either kid with money, or with pull, or through the bad. it early enough that they probably are holding onto an extra spot and figure out who can help you get into the school. If it's a man have your husband meet him at shul. See if you or your husband has any friends who know the administrator or person in charge of hiring
2-if they rejected you because they dont think your right type that harder unless you think they have it wrong or unless you have a close connection in the school
3-try a new school, the newer school are easier to get in. When I went through the vad they were very not helpful. And in the beginning they gave me all new schools to try
4 the last school that rejected you because they didn't like what they heard about your son I wouldn't want such a school. Child going into school and school considering him a problem child. That's not normal unless it a newer school that doesn't have any services if your child is a normal developer child they should except him and any learning problems deal with later if it comes up
Do not rely on the vad. They are not caring people. Just a people with money and power. Try to get in with your own by making your own connections and being pushy

DVOM

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:35 am
I have no advice, OP, just empathy. That's really hard. We were rejected from every school we applied to but one when my oldest was starting primary. The school we got into was not the school I would have chosen, but I can say that 6 years later and now with three boys in the school I can see so many reasons why god in his infinite wisdom chose to put us here. I hope you find a wonderful place for your son!

sky

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:10 pm
DVOM wrote:
I have no advice, OP, just empathy. That's really hard. We were rejected from every school we applied to but one when my oldest was starting primary. The school we got into was not the school I would have chosen, but I can say that 6 years later and now with three boys in the school I can see so many reasons why god in his infinite wisdom chose to put us here. I hope you find a wonderful place for your son!

Same - my girls got into school late in the summer. To a school we didn’t apply to and didn’t know about.
It is 100% better then were we applied. We really felt it was totally in Hashem hands.
(Honestly I didn’t find the vaad super helpful. We really networked tons on our own all year)

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:53 pm
Amother smokey had a lot of wisdom.

Particularly the bit about applying to the newer schools. Where you apply is more than half the battle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics