Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
ElAl sale, I'm so torn - miss school/work?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

rzab

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
Clearly you've never worked in a school. I have never yet taught the same material 2 years in a row. The school moves me every single summer based on their needs, and I prepare from scratch every single year. In that case, where should my material come from? How should I have it a full month in advance? The summer is not anywhere near long enough to prepare a full 10 months worth of material. Especially as a Kodesh teacher where I am creating every single worksheet from scratch.

That's not even accounting for suddenly getting a very weak or very strong class that needs the materials adapted for them.

This! Exactly!
And even when I am teaching the same material, which almost never happens I have to always rethink it to make it work best for my class.

I Def sit down in the summer and plan out my overall goals for the year. But that does not mean I will have every worksheet and assignment and lesson planned for the whole year. In the summer, I try to plan every lesson through the end of the chagim, but that doesn't always work out as planned either.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:57 am
deleted

mfb

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:27 am
I just want to add to the idea of taking young kids. We went as a family when my oldest was 5. When he turned 13 he went again. Before he left he started telling us all his memories (things not in pictures). He really remembered a lot from that trip and it made him until today have a yearning to go back. I think family time is very important for young children.
Also my dc 8 years old had low fever from a virus for almost 2 weeks and was out of school. Now a couple of weeks later I don’t see any bad outcome. I can’t see how a few days before yom tov (when they mostly learn about pesach) and 4 days after is a big deal for little kids!
Please go

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:43 pm
One thing I'm going to beg you not to do: don't be that parent/ child who insists that you get to do the big project before you leave. The teacher has the day for it picked for a reason and doesn't necessarily want/is able to change the whole schedule because you're leaving early. (Yes, I've had a parent insist on this)
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics