Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Secular education in Lakewood boys’ yeshiva

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:22 pm
We are probably moving to the Lakewood area from Brooklyn for the next school year. How is the secular education in the boys yeshivas, particularly Orchos Chaim? How does the secular education in Orchos Chaim compare to the other yeshivas there? They told me that English studies is for two hours (that that’s the standard)
TIA

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:35 pm
It's better than (most of) the other Lakewood Yeshivas. But if you're comparing it to Brooklyn standards it's probably not as rigorous.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:42 pm
Orchos Chaim is an excellent school. Organized, professional. Charge the highest tuition too. Good luck getting in.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:47 pm
Thanks for your response. Do the other schools such as YTT, Ohr Yehudah, Tashbar also only have two hours for sixth grade?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:48 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Orchos Chaim is an excellent school. Organized, professional. Charge the highest tuition too. Good luck getting in.

So glad to hear it’s a great school. Btw, how much is tuition there?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:51 pm
oneofakind wrote:

And a bit off topic of my original post, but based on your response, can I ask - I hear it’s super organized and professional. My concern is the size. My son is not a social butterfly. He’s not going to be the leader in the class type. Will he get lost?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:14 pm
I'm a parent there and I joined the staff there in recent years. Yes it's a big school but the hanhalah is amazing and knows every single boy! I'm amazed every day at what I see! And yes all schools have about two hours of English in Lakewood... And getting in is beyond impossible 😭 we didn't get in until right before school started with tons of pull! Was a crazy stressful situation!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:47 pm
I have 3 very different boys in the school. The staff work very hard to reach each one of them. We are very happy.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:21 pm
all these schools are packed. Make sure you have a school before u move.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:46 pm
Thank you so much for the responses. Your responses are comforting and much appreciated.
Yes, We are making sure to have schools before moving.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
So glad to hear it’s a great school. Btw, how much is tuition there?

I think somewhere around 8400. There was just a 2k increase this year.
Plus there is 5k building fund. Rebbe simcha fund and dinner are optional but they will ask (nicely)
I’m a parent. School is very professional. Tons of staff. Very on top of things. Very into parent being into the school and working with them. I think my kids English education is very lacking but I do see improvements in the younger grades curriculum. I don’t think I would have gotten better elsewhere in town
We have few boys in the school and each rebbe is better and more dedicated then the next. The principals are also really Amazing

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
It's better than (most of) the other Lakewood Yeshivas. But if you're comparing it to Brooklyn standards it's probably not as rigorous.

I am comparing it to Brooklyn because my son currently has quite a good secular education, but if I am moving then I’m also comparing it to all other Lakewood yeshivas because I want to make sure he gets the best . Do I have reason for concern? Am I majorly downgrading? Will I feel let down and feel that it will affect my son’s future? Don’t any Lakewood boys (nowadays) go to college?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a parent there and I joined the staff there in recent years. Yes it's a big school but the hanhalah is amazing and knows every single boy! I'm amazed every day at what I see! And yes all schools have about two hours of English in Lakewood... And getting in is beyond impossible 😭 we didn't get in until right before school started with tons of pull! Was a crazy stressful situation!

I thought some have no secular studies?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
I thought some have no secular studies?

That’s high school.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:03 am
amother wrote:
I am comparing it to Brooklyn because my son currently has quite a good secular education, but if I am moving then I’m also comparing it to all other Lakewood yeshivas because I want to make sure he gets the best . Do I have reason for concern? Am I majorly downgrading? Will I feel let down and feel that it will affect my son’s future? Don’t any Lakewood boys (nowadays) go to college?

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

I hope it works out for you,,, I mean that sincerely. I will say that my husband knows some of the Rebbeim before they became Rebbeim there.. They are really melochim.. But limudi chol..

LOL

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:06 am
amother wrote:

OT, but which school is your son in now that has quite a good secular education?

But to answer your question, yes you are downgrading. No, they don't go to college.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics