Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Does my daughter need an eval for speech therapy?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:26 pm
My daughter is 18 months old. She bh understands what I tell her, can follow simple directions etc. But she only speaks about ten to fifteen words, and not all of them are understandable to non family members. Should I consider speech therapy, or is this typical? I’d appreciate if speech therapists or experienced moms could give me advice. ( I live in Ny where therapy is readily available. I just don’t want to waste my time if there really is no issue.)

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:36 pm
As a speech therapist, this does not sound alarming to me. There is a large range of normal. If she has good comprehension and can say a handful of words, I wouldn’t be worried.

Can you give an example or two of her words and how she says them? Children this age are often not understood by others.

precious

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:42 pm
It does not sound like she would be eligible for speech therapy if she has some words and follows directions.

livinginisrael

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:37 pm
I would recommend step by step bff. Just got my son approved for speech and was happy with their service.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:39 pm
I don’t think that’s very delayed. If she understands everything and she does say some words then I would suggest you wait a bit.

Jewel22

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:01 pm
My son who was about 26 months I evaluated for a speech therapist. They gave him one because he only said about 10 words and would understand everything so he was eligible. But it's also not so alarming but still a great help. He has it once a week and it's nice we are both happy. They did tell me that I should have done it sooner instead of waiting till after 2. At 18 months he understood every thing and said like 5 words so I think you should do it.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter is 18 months old. She bh understands what I tell her, can follow simple directions etc. But she only speaks about ten to fifteen words, and not all of them are understandable to non family members. Should I consider speech therapy, or is this typical? I’d appreciate if speech therapists or experienced moms could give me advice. ( I live in Ny where therapy is readily available. I just don’t want to waste my time if there really is no issue.)

You live in NY! Do it! If you're asking this question, call the state and have a professional come and evaluate her and give you the answer.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:28 am
How can you consider a one-hour (or even 90-minute) evaluation a "waste of time"?

Even if your daughter will not qualify,
1) you can rest assured that your child is within the normal range, and
2) you may learn some tips and tricks from the speech therapist.

I would definitely do an eval.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:50 am
Does she need it? No. Can she qualify. Possibly. Is it worth your while? Up to you.

I'm an experienced Speech pathologist and an experienced Mom. My 23 month old sounds a lot like your 18 month old. I'm not very concerned. She isn't all that different than most of her older siblings (aside for the one above her that had full sentences by 18 months.

At the end of the day (like say 5 years from now) it is unlikely that your daughter will be speaking any differently if you get therapy for her now or not. She may start speaking sooner and pick up a vocabulary faster, but I don't think there will be a long last impact.

Just my two cents, from a non-alarmost SLP.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 7:18 am
I'm a pediatric SLP, and I wouldn't be worried. Sounds within the range of normal for the age. But, if you want to give her a little boost, I would either buy the Hanen book, It Takes Two to Talk (which is a good book but waaay overpriced IMO), and follow the guidance they give for developing your child's language skills, or I would listen to Laura Mize's podcast called Teach Me to Talk, on teachmetotalk.com.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 7:29 am
amother wrote:

Do not necessarily get her valuated I hope I would take her for a hearing test to make sure that everything's okay

dankbar

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 10:23 am
Just leave her.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 10:40 am
No she does not.
Source: I am a SLP

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 10:41 am
sounds completely normal. just give her time. My kid is only starting to say small sentences and she is 2. Why hearing test? does she not hear you when you talk to her. you say she understands...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics