Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Entrepreneur Getting Certified Kosher
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Would you buy homemade food from social media account based on word of mouth without asking if/who gives hechsher?
Yes  
 14%  [ 28 ]
No  
 85%  [ 159 ]
Total Votes : 187

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
Strict halacha says that social media is okay, however, only for private accounts?

It's like the difference between putting up your picture of you and your family in your house and being in a magazine.

Some of these people on social media have a pathetic need for attention. I can't eat in someone's home, I don't respect especially if I don't know them.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:24 pm
I've been thinking about this further today.

I'm actually surprised anyone will buy from a home business without hashgacha.

If the person opened a restaurant you certainly wouldn't buy there with no hashgacha. So how can you justify buying from someone's kitchen?

We are told in the mishna you may not rely on a seller telling you he took ma'asrot from the food (ie the person selling is not considered as an eid for them themselves), this is different from a host who has no financial gain.

It is pretty clearly halachically problematic regardless of the person's tznius, neighbor or even if they are a true tzedekes.

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:26 pm
I don't think being chasidish makes someone's kashrus more reliable. While they may be more careful about hashgachos on their ingredients it doesn't mean that they are educated in hilchos kashrus.

True story:

Someone I know had this shaila. She loved dairy baked goods. She baked them every week. She only had one oven. She kashered her oven back and forth every week between milchigs and fleishigs. Until the week she forgot to kasher in between and baked her uncovered chicken in her dairy oven.

Oops. She was not educated. She had no idea you aren't supposed to do that. It is ok to kasher sometimes but you are supposed to designate things.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
It's like the difference between putting up your picture of you and your family in your house and being in a magazine.

Some of these people on social media have a pathetic need for attention. I can't eat in someone's home, I don't respect especially if I don't know them.

Yikes. That took a quick turn from Halacha.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:57 pm
Reality wrote:
I don't think being chasidish makes someone's kashrus more reliable. While they may be more careful about hashgachos on their ingredients it doesn't mean that they are educated in hilchos kashrus.

True story:

Someone I know had this shaila. She loved dairy baked goods. She baked them every week. She only had one oven. She kashered her oven back and forth every week between milchigs and fleishigs. Until the week she forgot to kasher in between and baked her uncovered chicken in her dairy oven.

Oops. She was not educated. She had no idea you aren't supposed to do that. It is ok to kasher sometimes but you are supposed to designate things.

I think if you have one oven it's ok to switch back and forth.

Source: we asked this shayla since we can only have one oven and were told its fine to run a self clean cycle in between.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:35 pm
Reality wrote:

True story:

She is allowed to kasher her oven from milchig to parve and from fleishig to parve. She can then make the oven milchig or fleishig.

50 years ago no one had 2 ovens. What do you think your bubby did? Do you think she ate treif?

Her mistake was that she forgot and depending on how recently she used her oven for milchigs and if the oven was dirty, will determine in the chicken is treif (it could be perfectly fine btw). She needed a better system of remembering.

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:41 pm
I believe the halacha is you you are supposed to designate your oven. You can choose if it is always used for both. There are different shittas about that. You can always cook milchigs uncovered and fleishigs covered for example.

The halachic problem is the constant switching back and forth. You may forget what status your oven is.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:38 am
Reality wrote:
I believe the halacha is you you are supposed to designate your oven. You can choose if it is always used for both. There are different shittas about that. You can always cook milchigs uncovered and fleishigs covered for example.

The halachic problem is the constant switching back and forth. You may forget what status your oven is.

We were also told there is no problem switching back and forth. Because I have one oven and I'm always switching back and forth, I always think about it before I put anything in the oven. I don't forget what the status of my oven is the same way I don't forget to wash negel vasser. It's an ingrained part of me by now. There are times I have to ask my kids what I made for supper last night so I can remember if my oven is dairy or fleishigs right now, but I never forget to think about it before putting something in the oven.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 4:43 am
Notsobusy wrote:
We were also told there is no problem switching back and forth. Because I have one oven and I'm always switching back and forth, I always think about it before I put anything in the oven. I don't forget what the status of my oven is the same way I don't forget to wash negel vasser. It's an ingrained part of me by now. There are times I have to ask my kids what I made for supper last night so I can remember if my oven is dairy or fleishigs right now, but I never forget to think about it before putting something in the oven.

We only have one oven that as per our Rav I burn out on high temperature in between uses when switching from milchigs to pareve or fleishigs or back. What I do to help me remember the status is leave the corresponding oven mitts next to the oven. So if I see red mitts there I know I made fleishigs last, but if they're blue it means milchigs and green means pareve.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 7:04 am
mha3484 wrote:
If you are on Facebook someone often posts in a foodie group that he rents a kitchen in queens to anyone who wants to cook/bake under hashgacha. I think its one of the local girls schools.

Contact Mr Michael Salzbank at Bnos Malka Academy
718-268-2667
The hashgacha is Vaad of Queens
They are on vacation now until Jan 28th

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 8:55 am
Notsobusy wrote:

I remember learning this in halacha class. I will try to speak to a Rav about this because I am curious for myself.

But anyway, my point was that just because someone is chasidish it doesn't mean they automatically follow the highest standard of kashrus.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 9:35 am
Reality wrote:
I remember learning this in halacha class. I will try to speak to a Rav about this because I am curious for myself.

But anyway, my point was that just because someone is chasidish it doesn't mean they automatically follow the highest standard of kashrus.

I think their kashrus is more reliable than most. You will always get someone who messes up even under a hechsher. Some people are still not over the Finkel debacle selling treif meat as kosher.

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:12 pm
So I asked my Rav and this is what he said:

You don't have to "designate" your oven for milchigs or fleishigs. As long as you wait 24 hours in between you can kasher your oven. So I stand corrected.

He did say most people end up using their oven usually for one or the other and just kasher on occassion.

He felt it wasn't a good practise to contantly switch. Too easy to get confused and make mistakes.

So not the halacha but not the way most frum jews operate in their kitchen. Note: I know for a fact my Rav only had one oven in his kichen for 20+ years. So his response is not coming from a place of american privilege!

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:12 pm
Just keep in mind, everyones Rav holds differently...not all say you need to wait 24 hrs. And there are different opinions whether you need to do self clean or just high temp...

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:29 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Agreed. But most people don’t realize this so I thought I’d mention it.

That’s true. Some people are good with just a claim of being glatt kosher.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:32 pm
Sebastian wrote:
She is allowed to kasher her oven from milchig to parve and from fleishig to parve. She can then make the oven milchig or fleishig.

50 years ago no one had 2 ovens. What do you think your bubby did? Do you think she ate treif?

Her mistake was that she forgot and depending on how recently she used her oven for milchigs and if the oven was dirty, will determine in the chicken is treif (it could be perfectly fine btw). She needed a better system of remembering.

The point is that someone doing cooking or baking on a large scale for sale, needs o have a supervising hashgacha to explain to them everything that must be done...it’s not so simple.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:33 pm
Notsobusy wrote:

Are you double wrapping?

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
I think their kashrus is more reliable than most. You will always get someone who messes up even under a hechsher. Some people are still not over the Finkel debacle selling treif meat as kosher.

It’s ridiculous to say private chassidish individuals are more reliable for kashrus than others. I know plenty of chassidish people who aren’t as makpid on certain halachos as some Litvish people I know, and eat at certain restaurants that other people wouldn’t....you can’t generalize.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:37 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Just keep in mind, everyones Rav holds differently...not all say you need to wait 24 hrs. And there are different opinions whether you need to do self clean or just high temp...

Which is exactly the point....if you rely on a private person who is selling their cooked items, and their Rov believes there’s no need to kasher the oven in between, while your Rov believes there absolutely is..,,that’s where you run into trouble, and therefore a reliable hashgacha must be overseeing their operation.

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:38 pm
little neshamala wrote:

Very true.

It is also true that just because a person is machmir in one aspect of their life it doesn't make them machmir in everything. So I don't understand why someone would automatically think that because someone dresses chasidish they are extra careful in kashrus and can trust a stranger!

In todays world there are all kinds of people! You can't trust people based on looks! Sometimes the mode of dress is the last thing to change.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics