Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me find high school for dd BROOKLYN
Previous  1  2  3

chestnut

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 8:41 am
BYA is hard to get into, only because they have very, very few spots left after their own girls.
Do try Prospect. What about Masores? BY high school? Plenty of girls travel to HS, it doesn't need to be in Flatbush

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 9:05 am
Lev!!!!!! No question

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 9:05 am
Masores it’s way too late. They had 5 slots for 100 applicants.

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 9:08 am
GUYS! LEV is an incredible school!!!! The principal mrs oratz is super warm and loving and the girls are growing. The girl who was kicked out was trouble with a t. She was sending naked pics of herself around. Of course she was kicked out???!!!!!! Do not discount this school. It is probably one of the only ones you can still get into. Maybe MAYBE bnos yaakov and BYA. MAYBE.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 9:43 am
cookiewriter wrote:
GUYS! LEV is an incredible school!!!! The principal mrs oratz is super warm and loving and the girls are growing. The girl who was kicked out was trouble with a t. She was sending naked pics of herself around. Of course she was kicked out???!!!!!! Do not discount this school. It is probably one of the only ones you can still get into. Maybe MAYBE bnos yaakov and BYA. MAYBE.

How do you know the bolded? Did you see the pictures? Did the school investigate this in the end?

mamaof2

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:06 pm
Shalsheles bais yaakov

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Only if she has the right connections and people advocating for her, or if she is willing to consider the unpopular schools like Machon.
But Lev BY has to accept their own elementary students first and will never give preference to an outsider over their own students.

(I speak from experience)

That is not exactly true. They actually excepted girls from Queens and Staten Island before they excepted the elementary school girls from Lev.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
That is not exactly true. They actually excepted girls from Queens and Staten Island before they excepted the elementary school girls from Lev.

Excepted??

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:03 pm
cookiewriter wrote:

Was she?

According to the article, no one investigated whether this was true. Or if it was actually her. They just heard a rumor and expelled her.

And what about the boy who was ogling the photo? What happened to him? I know -- not a darned thing. Not to mention all of the other boys who undoubtedly passed on dirty pictures of an underaged girl -- as in kiddie [filth].

But let's all attack the girl.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:04 pm
amother wrote:

This year? Don't think so. Afaik, they accepted their own girls before accepting anyone from outside

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:05 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Masores it’s way too late. They had 5 slots for 100 applicants.

Seriously, Masores is too late but Lev isn't? Lev is as competitive as it gets (or they make it to be)

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:11 pm
The bottom line is, no matter how supposedly full the school is, anyone can get in, with the right pull.
Talking to your daughter's principal is your first step. 2nd - with a rabbi, once you decide on the school.
Do apply to a few.
Oh, and keep in mind that anyone can have a hard time in any given school, no matter how "amazing" to others it is. But you won't know that, until you face it.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:13 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Do not discount this school. It is probably one of the only ones you can still get into. Maybe MAYBE bnos yaakov and BYA. MAYBE.

FYI, Lev didn't even call for an interview some girls, while Bnos Yakov and BYA called EVERYONE who applied. Tell me again how "incredible!" it is

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 3:33 pm
Lev high school prefers the diversity and does accept girls from outside. They do not take the elementary girls first over the outsiders, they try to have a 50-50 ratio. They are pretty hard to get into due to the fact that they have one class per grade at this point and so they only have 30 seats a class maximum. But they are pretty open to different types and different different academic levels.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 3:51 pm
They don’t NOT accept girls from their own elementary bec they want diversity ! They don’t accept them bec they decided they wanted to change their image and be a “hard “ school with high academics . They don’t accept their weaker students .
FYI, Whoever wrote that bnos gives everyone an interview , you are wrong . They didn’t give my daughter or anyone from her class an interview . My guess is that they want the girls who are in a bais yaskov elementary.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
They don’t NOT accept girls from their own elementary bec they want diversity ! They don’t accept them bec they decided they wanted to change their image and be a “hard “ school with high academics . They don’t accept their weaker students .
FYI, Whoever wrote that bnos gives everyone an interview , you are wrong . They didn’t give my daughter or anyone from her class an interview . My guess is that they want the girls who are in a bais yaskov elementary.

Did you mean, in Bnos Yisroel elementary? I know girls from other schools who were already accepted now. Everyone my daughter knows who applied to bnos, got an interview, including weaker students. So, I'm very surprised that no girls from the whole class from one school were interviewed. What's their principal saying?

I agree about Lev changing the image for their HS - very academic and frummer than their elementary. In past, they did want a diversity and their own girls weren't guaranteed a spot (unlike all other elem/HS schools). I'm hoping this year is different cause it's plain unfair to their own girls

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:02 pm
Off topic, but I find it despicable that high schools will not accept their own elementary students they feel won’t promote their image/reputation.
Who exactly will want to accept these weak students in this highly competitive school business?
My heart truly goes out to all the frum children who struggle academically.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
Off topic, but I find it despicable that high schools will not accept their own elementary students they feel won’t promote their image/reputation.
Who exactly will want to accept these weak students in this highly competitive school business?
My heart truly goes out to all the frum children who struggle academically.

This. I'm a lev parent but for various reasons will probably not be sending my daughters to the high school. But their behavior is appalling.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics