Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Don’t touch my kid!
Previous  1  2  3

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:34 am
Some SN children are very determined, and don't like to take "no" for an answer. A meltdown will usually ensue.

I imagine OP is trying to figure out how to create personal space for her child, while not upsetting the SN child who does not understand why they can't touch whoever they want.

Furthermore, I think that OP does not want to make the parents of the SN child think that she is being mean to the SN child. She is looking for advice on how to gently disengage the SN child in a way that won't trigger a tantrum or make the parents feel ostracized.

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

I do touch stranger's babies, if the baby is making eye contact with me and smiling, and I'm chatting with the mom. I will only touch an area that is covered by clothing, like a sleeve or foot. No skin to skin touch is my personal rule.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 12:32 pm
I have a child with special needs and I was not offended by the OP. I understand her to be asking how to explain to children not touch her baby, especially children with special needs who might have trouble understanding and whose parents might be offended thinking that the request has to do with their child's differences.

I personally can't relate to not wanting others to touch my kids, but I don't find her question offensive.

Forrealx

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 4:31 pm
What you can do is and (I do this) is sitting with a child (SN or not SN) and let them ''teach'' how to ''touch'' a little child. Like ''No, not rubbing hard, just easily caress like this, that is what she likes yeah good!'' and explaining ''now it is good for this baby to get a rest and now can't she be touched only by her mommy and her totty. Because babies can be easily overwhelmed and they need to get lots of rests'' babies also can be ''little children''. Just explain it. Also you can be like ''would you like to rock the baby in sleep?'' some SN children just like to have those repetitious movements like rocking.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette