Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Making dress tznius
Previous  1  2

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:10 am
OP also check daintyjewells.com. they have some modest gowns that are a bit over 100

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
Did she spend 400 total? Or 400 on alterations? Do you know how much she was able to sell it for?

She spent close to that just in material, alterations and steaming. She didn’t sell it yet because she didn’t wear it yet

peacenine

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:04 am
Where are you located? There are Jewish stores who sell ready made decently priced gowns. (In monsey Sereka, in Brooklyn exquisite) I bought for $400 I only needed to hem it and add a belt. I sold it afterwards.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:49 am
Sebastian wrote:
OP also check daintyjewells.com. they have some modest gowns that are a bit over 100

Thanks!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:50 am
Fabulous wrote:
She spent close to that just in material, alterations and steaming. She didn’t sell it yet because she didn’t wear it yet

Wow!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:56 am
peacenine wrote:
Where are you located? There are Jewish stores who sell ready made decently priced gowns. (In monsey Sereka, in Brooklyn exquisite) I bought for $400 I only needed to hem it and add a belt. I sold it afterwards.

It's good to know. I'm out of town though. Thank you. P

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:00 am
When I got married I bought my wedding gown online from China.
It was a kate style wedding gown so was high neck but only lace. I got the sleeves and up to the neck lined.
The rest was totally tznius. The dress was abt 150$ and the alterations were maybe 50-70$ iirc.
Anonymous bc loads of ppl know about this lol.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
When I got married I bought my wedding gown online from China.
It was a kate style wedding gown so was high neck but only lace. I got the sleeves and up to the neck lined.
The rest was totally tznius. The dress was abt 150$ and the alterations were maybe 50-70$ iirc.
Anonymous bc loads of ppl know about this lol.

Lots of people order from china;) I'm nervous to take the risk. But if I can find something local even second hand that is cheap, I wouldn't mind putting some money in... ( Not 400!! But 50 - 70 sounds reasonable) thinking to spend like max 200 - 300 ( incl. Dress, material, seamstress). But if I want to sell it ( and make back a decent amount), then quality would have to be good enough... I'm trying to figure out if I am being realistic (well theoretically, since I don't have a specific piece in mind Very Happy)

So you are telling me that it cost you 50- 70 to line the top part of your wedding gown, that was just for the seamstress I assume? Meaning you spent more on material?
I'm wondering if adding sleeves to a sleeveless gown, or filling in a neckline or a back cutout or adding length to a dress (one of the above) would cost more? it sounds like it should be the same amount of work??

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:53 pm
just buy a dress that's closer to tznius ... shells are tacky & not dressy enough for a wedding

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Lots of people order from china;) I'm nervous to take the risk. But if I can find something local even second hand that is cheap, I wouldn't mind putting some money in... ( Not 400!! But 50 - 70 sounds reasonable) thinking to spend like max 200 - 300 ( incl. Dress, material, seamstress). But if I want to sell it ( and make back a decent amount), then quality would have to be good enough... I'm trying to figure out if I am being realistic (well theoretically, since I don't have a specific piece in mind Very Happy)

So you are telling me that it cost you 50- 70 to line the top part of your wedding gown, that was just for the seamstress I assume? Meaning you spent more on material?
I'm wondering if adding sleeves to a sleeveless gown, or filling in a neckline or a back cutout or adding length to a dress (one of the above) would cost more? it sounds like it should be the same amount of work??

The seamstress had the material.
I didn’t have to buy the material separately.
This was quite a few years ago though so prices have probably gone up.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:14 pm
just wanted to point out that it seems that more tznius dresses are back in style ... high necks, sleeves, etc. ... I imagine it should be easier to find now

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
I'm looking for a gown for a siblings wedding. I don't want to put in alot of money, and am hoping to be able to sell it afterwards. Gowns don't come tznius ( at least cheap ones). I am wondering what the easiest and cheapest alterations to make would be. Ie. Is it cheaper to add sleeves, line a dress or build up a neck line? If you could post pictures and your ideas of how to alter, it would be helpful. Also, if the material doesn't need to match ( can look good by adding elsewhere/ be a good contrast/ a style where almost matching is good enough) that's a plus. Mainly I guess I am trying to figure out the price factor, I am totally clueless about sewing!
Thanks in advance!

I got a stunning gown which just needed a shell underneath at David’s bridal at a very reasonable price. Macys also has some choices. It’s not true that all gowns are not tsniusdig.

cbg

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 2:35 pm
Didn’t read all the posts
But
Look at Tadashi Shoji
A lot of there dresses are easy to fix

dankbar

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:18 pm
I bought 2 yrs ago a blue gown by macys for $150, I just used a blue shell to line the lace bodice/sleeves the bottom was fully lined chiffon.

dankbar

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:19 pm
The dress was lined till above chest, so had a shape & didn't look funny at all with shell. You couldn't tell that half was lined already...

LittleMissMama

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:39 pm
I don't know what size or color or price range you're looking at, but there are gowns that don't need alterations and aren't insanely priced

https://www.dillards.com/p/cac.....72817

https://www.dillards.com/p/vin.....lilac

https://www.dillards.com/p/vin.....lilac

https://www.dillards.com/p/vin.....93285
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics