Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Son davening nicely in shul -ideas to express how proud we r

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:23 am
I want to show my son how proud I am of him for davening in shul so beautifully with his father today. There are many children playing in shul all morning...and it came to a point where they would play without davening anything at all.
I explained to him the importance of davening and explained that he can choose to go, daven and then play...or to stay home.
He chose to go, and recently he has been davening beautifully.
I am really really proud and want to express it. We told him how proud we are and he felt the pride. He was glowing. I also want to get something for him as a reminder of our nachas. Something he will feel good about. Any ideas?
Age - 8

Location - can be something purchased in NYC area or online.
Would prefer something with a Jewish connection.

Thank you!

baltomom

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:33 am
How about something he can use in shul, like a special siddur or a Chamisha Chumshei Torah with tefilos for Shabbos in the back.

Lots of nachas!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:38 am
baltomom wrote:
How about something he can use in shul, like a special siddur or a Chamisha Chumshei Torah with tefilos for Shabbos in the back.

Lots of nachas!

That’s what we did with our son age 7. We took him to judaica store and let him choose his own siddur and then had his name engraved on cover. He loves going to Shul and davens beautifully b”h.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:43 am
amother wrote:
That’s what we did with our son age 7. We took him to judaica store and let him choose his own siddur and then had his name engraved on cover. He loves going to Shul and davens beautifully b”h.

I would add to that - since you want to this to have 'lasting nachas value" write a nice note to your son in the cover.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:43 am
Keep mentioning it in conversations to others. He should overhear. Keep telling him how proud you are. Words, words, words. They mean so much more than anything else.
I made you your favorite dinner Ari, because I am so proud of how you davened yesterday. Rebbe, did you hear how nicely Ari davened in shul? Bubbie, you should have seen Ari! [Affectionate squeeze]- my sweet davener.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:03 am
baltomom wrote:

Lots of nachas!

OP here.
Thanks for the ideas!
He has a siddur and chumashim w/ his name...
His siddur isn't 'fancy' so that might still be an idea... I can purchase a leather siddur and have him name engraved.

salt

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:47 am
1. Note to his rebbe for school next day.
2 Ask him on erev shabbos which cake or favorite dish he'd like you to prepare.

teachkids

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 7:52 am
Verbal praise is probably the best.
Also, some sort of special shabbos treat. Whether it's cake, candy, sitting next to Abba at the table, getting dessert first, a new shabbos toy, etc. Maybe a book or quiet toy he can bring into shul with him to play with during the times he's not actively davening.
Is there something he wants that you weren't sure he was old enough for? Give it to him telling him that he showed he was grown up by davening so nicely.

Zeleze

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 10:47 am
A Nice leather Siddur with his name on it maybe

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
I want to show my son how proud I am of him for davening in shul so beautifully with his father today. There are many children playing in shul all morning...and it came to a point where they would play without davening anything at all.
I explained to him the importance of davening and explained that he can choose to go, daven and then play...or to stay home.

What I would do for him is more positive reinforcement and less negative.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:30 am
What about a small table top shtender? If your husband is the handy type, he can build it with him.
Just want to point out, that while praise and positive reinforcement is great, you dont want to overdo it to the point where he feels like a failure if he doesn't go.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:16 pm
A siddur from Eretz Yisroel was something very special for my ds.
We got him a leather bound siddur with gold on it. We also had his name printed in gold.
He takes great pride in his siddur and has been using it for a few years.
This was purchased when dh went on a trip to e”y. DS uses it every shabbos. (Only on shabbos)
Another thing he might like is his own shtender.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children