Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Foot injury

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:27 pm
My DD who just turned six broke her toes on shabbos (broke four bones). She went to the emergency room and now has a soft cast and she can't put weight on the foot. I need to get her something to help her. Questions.
What would be better a scooter or wheelchair?
Did u ever have this or work in a school and how did it work? Am I going to need to hire a para to be with her or can the teachers handle this themselves usually? It's gonna be a while like a couple months according to the doc we saw at the hospital.

Also as an aside any trip ideas I can do for mid Winter vacation in this situation?

country

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:20 pm
I would highly recommend going to a podiatrist or orthopedist for a second opinion. In the hospital u most likely got a resident. She maybe just needs a boot she can walk on they don’t have those in the hospital

anonymrs

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:22 pm
Agree ^^. Second opinion is a very good idea.

country

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:12 pm
Before u go to doc make sure they carry pediatric cam walker also known as a boot not all orthopedist have them most podiatrists do stock them

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:09 am
Thanks. I am going to get her a second opinion but it's Sunday and noone is open. In the hospital they brought in a pediatric orthopedist and podiatrist to set it and they said to come for follow up this week where they will give her a boot. Dh was there and said the doctor looked good and thorough bh.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:40 am
Check with the dr on options. With a scooter her toes would be pointed down with all the blood flow toward them. When my four year old broke her leg, we used a stroller in school for the first week and then a walker, which transitioned her from no weight to gradually putting on weight and was easier to use than crutches. If her desk has a front bar, she can use it to put her foot up during class, or the teacher can give her a footstool.

Schools often assign other students to rotate helping out, including carrying books and backpacks (I'm assuming she's in first grade) and dealing with lunch. Students often beg for this job if there is an elevator involved Smile. Until she gets more used to the situation, try not to give her lunch she needs to wash on so she doesn't have to get up.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:46 am
amother wrote:
Check with the dr on options. With a scooter her toes would be pointed down with all the blood flow toward them. When my four year old broke her leg, we used a stroller in school for the first week and then a walker, which transitioned her from no weight to gradually putting on weight and was easier to use than crutches. If her desk has a front bar, she can use it to put her foot up during class, or the teacher can give her a footstool.

Schools often assign other students to rotate helping out, including carrying books and backpacks (I'm assuming she's in first grade) and dealing with lunch. Students often beg for this job if there is an elevator involved Smile. Until she gets more used to the situation, try not to give her lunch she needs to wash on so she doesn't have to get up.

Thank u!

She is in pre 1a. Her classroom is on the ground level so no steps. They use tables not desks. I have to look into options what she should use. Fun fun

country

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:55 pm
where do you live? in Boro Park there is a very good podiatrist open sundays and has late night appointments

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:57 pm
country wrote:
where do you live? in Boro Park there is a very good podiatrist open sundays and has late night appointments

Monsey. Anyone know of a podiatrist that will be open tomorrow. Martin Luther King day?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics