Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Incredible Water Challah

BSD1

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:50 pm
Looking for absolutely delicious water challah recipe that tastes like water challah from the best heimishe bakeries or better. Please only post if it is tried and true. Please also comment on what kind of crust it has (looking for crusty). Looking for a true water Challah that has no egg in the actual dough (Hence my reposting; other threads have challah purported to be delicious, but they have an egg in the ingredients).

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:57 pm
I make Rebbetzin Kanievsky's water challah as per the biography. Not the BY cookbooks, the proportions are a little different.
I proof the yeast, mix all the ingredients besides the flour. Add the yeast, mix lightly. I then pour 5 lbs. of bread flour in a large stainless bowl, add the rest and start kneading, and add handfuls of flour as needed. I use less flour than the recipe calls for.
I bake in small pans (disposable oval pans that are smaller than smaller loaf pans) at 375 for about 36 minutes. If you want a really crusty crust, I've heard of throwing ice cubes onto the oven floor before baking. I haven't heard of this technique re this particular recipe, and I haven't tried it myself.

B"H, this challah is absolutely amazing. YMMV.

BSD1

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 4:01 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I make Rebbetzin Kanievsky's water challah as per the biography. Not the BY cookbooks, the proportions are a little different.
I proof the yeast, mix all the ingredients besides the flour. Add the yeast, mix lightly. I then pour 5 lbs. of bread flour in a large stainless bowl, add the rest and start kneading, and add handfuls of flour as needed. I use less flour than the recipe calls for.
I bake in small pans (disposable oval pans that are smaller than smaller loaf pans) at 375 for about 36 minutes. If you want a really crusty crust, I've heard of throwing ice cubes onto the oven floor before baking. I haven't heard of this technique re this particular recipe, and I haven't tried it myself.

B"H, this challah is absolutely amazing. YMMV.

Thank you. I actually own the book!
What kind of yeast do you use?
Also, just curious, did you try the BY modifications and not like it?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 4:25 pm
BSD1 wrote:
Thank you. I actually own the book!
What kind of yeast do you use?
Also, just curious, did you try the BY modifications and not like it?

Red Star dried from a 1 or 2 lb. package.
I tried the bio first, then the BY cookbook and the latter just wasn't the same.
I don't think I'm such a maven to be able to tell the difference but I use bread flour that I buy in 25 lb. bags from a food supply store.
And I haven't tried using kosher salt, which isn't the same proportion as the table salt.
Oh, and I forgot, I don't use the full amount of sugar. Instead of using the 1.5 cups minus the 2 Tbsp. used for proofing, I use just over one cup. When I use honey, a little under a cup. Still rises beautifully and more than sweet enough.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:17 pm
In the BY cookbook they have a handwritten recipe of her challah. They tried to translate it into American measurements. I don’t think they did a good job. Make the original.

I think I use the same recipe.
In the bowl I mix the dry ingredients.
1kg Flour
Up to 3/4 cup sugar
1T salt
1T baking enhancer (gluten)

In a separate bowl or large measuring cup I proof the yeast.
Scant 2T dry yeast with some sugar. 2:1 ratio.
1c very warm water

After it proofs, add it to the flour.
Add a total go 4-5 cups of warm water depending on the humidity. (About 1 liter)
1/3 cup of oil.

Knead well by hand or mixer.

Let rise at least 1/2 hour.

Braid, rise, egg wash.

Bake at 325F for 35min.

BSD1

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:41 pm
Thank you very much for these details. Just making sure that this does not taste like a "faux" egg challah in terms of texture and sweetness?

keym

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:58 pm
I make a delicious challa, some of my kids have egg allergies. Its sweet but more chewy less crusty.
I've never really found any other water challa I loved, and once I tasted this one, I was hooked.

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 T + 1 tsp dry yeast ( I use the Fleischman's jar)
5 1/2 c warm water
2 T salt
1 c + 2 T oil
5 lb bag flour.

Let first three ingredients sit. Mix all together. Knead very well until smooth. If very stick, add a little more flour, if crumbly add a drop of oil.

Rise for an hour. Shape, rise a bit more. Egg wash and bake on 350 until golden. I don't do the egg wash, just bake it plain because of the allergies.
Warm it up in oven or on top of crock pot before the meal.

Metukah

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:10 pm
Most amazing water Challah recipe. Been making it for 10 years. Dh doesn't even let me try another recipe.

1.5 kilo flour, 675 ml lukewarm water, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 x 2oz bags fresh yeast (30 grams dried) , 4 teaspoon salt
Dissolve yeast in some of the water and some sugar. When it bubbles add it to machine with all water and all sugar.
Slowly add flour, when there is only a little flour left add oil and salt and add rest of flour. Mix on high speed

BSD1

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:18 pm
Metukah wrote:
Most amazing water Challah recipe. Been making it for 10 years. Dh doesn't even let me try another recipe.

1.5 kilo flour, 675 ml lukewarm water, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 x 2oz bags fresh yeast (30 grams dried) , 4 teaspoon salt
Dissolve yeast in some of the water and some sugar. When it bubbles add it to machine with all water and all sugar.
Slowly add flour, when there is only a little flour left add oil and salt and add rest of flour. Mix on high speed

Thank you! Do you happen to know the water in cups? (Can I reliably transfer ml to cups myself doing a calculation? Not sure it really works out.)

Metukah

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 5:55 pm
BSD1 wrote:
Thank you! Do you happen to know the water in cups? (Can I reliably transfer ml to cups myself doing a calculation? Not sure it really works out.)

I don't know but I'm sure you could do that.

cone

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:31 pm
Chef chaya’s Challah recipe doesn’t have eggs and is really good! You can check on her instagram page. I don’t have the recipe on hand...

Boca00

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:35 pm
We love this recipe. No egg, not sweet and super easy:
-4 packets of yeast (or 9 tsp)
-5 c warm water
-1/2 c sugar
-2 Tbsp salt
-1 c oil
-1 bag (5 lbs) flour

Mix first 3 ingredients, then add salt and oil. Mix and add flour slowly.
Let rise abt 1 hour, punch down and rise abt 1 hour. Shape and rise 20 min.

Bake at 350 on bottom rack until golden brown.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:38 am
BSD1 wrote:

For *any* unit conversion, just type it into Google like this: convert 675 ml to cups and you'll get a page with a calculator showing how many cups that is that will let you try a different number of ml without doing a new search. OK, maybe not any, like if you want to convert a reviit into ounces but Google will probably find a site that tells you that.

Also, to convert between weight and volume measurements, the particular ingredient matters but Google something like: weight cup sugar
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads