Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Intermittent fasting
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
Amazing job! And if I remember correctly, this is a very special accomplishment since you are a chef and are therefore around yummy fattening food all day.

LOL. Its so funny because eating this way makes me not crave food the same way. On occasion, I have to taste things, but I spit them out.

At the restaurant in Niagara, between me and the meat restaurant I had lots to eat. ad not once did I order pizza or fries or eat a bagel or whatever! I suppose it is huge but the thing is that being on high protein low carb or high fat low carb really does take away your cravings!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 3:46 pm
Optimystic wrote:
Never heard of this before this morning, and I am fascinated. As far as 16/8 fasting, does the fasting part have to cover the whole morning? Instead of 12 PM to 8 PM for eating, would 8 AM to 4 PM accomplish the same thing? (I'd make an exception for Shabbos. I understand we have an extra soul on Shabbos that absorbs the extra calories anyway Very Happy )

you choose your own window to eat. I often eat at 3pm or later. if you were working all night you could skew it that way. All of these things are really just suggestions. You do, what works for YOU.

SS6099

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:19 am
SingALong wrote:
Does it need to be 16/8? Can intermittent fasting work with say 12-14 hour fasting with 12-10 hours of eating?
Also do you consider drinking water/tea/coffee to break the fast or that can be drunk during fasting period?
Want to try this out ...currently doing paleo...no carb diet...

A 12/14 hour window is actually what's recommended. I recently started incorporating 12/14 hours, and I'm attempting a 16-20 hour fast once or twice a week.
But I'm not doing it for weight loss- I'm doing it for GI issues/health.
If you feel shaky at all, make sure to stop. But as always, keep hydrated Smile

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:04 pm
I just started intermittent fasting.16/8
I started on Sunday.
I do that, plus I'm off refined flour and sugar and trying to incorporate keto for past 2 weeks. I went onto the scale this morning and I GAINED WEIGHT!!!!
I've been crying all day.
Does this makes sense?
I'm following IF exactly to the T. I am eating very healthy and low carb. I'm also breastfeeding so I should be really losing weight.
Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
I just started intermittent fasting.16/8
I started on Sunday.
I do that, plus I'm off refined flour and sugar and trying to incorporate keto for past 2 weeks. I went onto the scale this morning and I GAINED WEIGHT!!!!
I've been crying all day.
Does this makes sense?
I'm following IF exactly to the T. I am eating very healthy and low carb. I'm also breastfeeding so I should be really losing weight.
Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

I would not recommend starting with 16/8. That's a big mistake.
You start with 12 hours for the first few weeks.
I suggest you re-start.
And I'm not sure about doing IF while breastfeeding. I've never researched it.
If you decide to start again, with 12 hours IF, I would suggest not getting on the scale the first two weeks at least.
Are you eating at least 7 servings of veggies?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:09 pm
Lime,

Do you know that some people simply cannot lose weight while nursing? They can lose up to a point, but those last 15 / 20 lb won't budge until they stop nursing. That has a lot to do with the hormones which are responsible for nursing - they slow down the metabolism. It can be immensely frustrating to diet with no results, but if you're nursing that may very well be the case.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:01 pm
I gain when I nurse, no matter what diet I'm on.

I generally don't eat at night, so by default do IF as I eat breakfast late. more than weight, I feel better overall.

tamid

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:38 am
I LOVE IF. It has revolutionized my way of eating. I do the 5:2 diet and find it fits in so well with my lifestyle as a mom of little kids and shomrei shabbas.
2 days a week you have to eat under 500 calories. To do this I drink lots of water/herbal teas all day, skip breakfast, eat something very small after 11am (a boiled egg/some cucumber - you'd be amazed how great this tastes on an empty stomach, and how satisfying it is - this first "meal" has taught me how good it feels to eat something pure and healthy first thing, and how to let myself feel hunger and then enjoy satisfying it). Then I might have a coffee with a splash of milk early afternoon. Then I have my evening meal early, around 5pm. Usually chicken breast no skin and steamed vegetables, or a tuna salad no dressing.

I find it so liberating to not really think about "what shall I eat next" all day. My mind feels so much clearer. If I really want something I just have to tell myself I can have it tomorrow. I sometimes feel a little hungry in the evening, but it makes me get to bed earlier, also a good thing!

On the 5 days when I'm not "fasting" I tend to put off breakfast as long as possible, then have a hearty meal (omelette, salad, toast / yogurt / big salad) around 11am, so this is also 16/8. Then I eat a regular dinner, and even snack in between. I do find that I crave more filling, wholesome foods in general now, although also still love chocolate! I've lost about 20lb and gone down 2 dress sizes, without having to cut out any food groups (I still enjoy carbs and avocadoes and pasta and cheese!!) and without limiting at all what I eat on shabbas. I think it's saved me money (eating less overall) and time. I feel great on it and don't feel deprived at all. No other diet has been so easy or worked so well for me. I wish I had heard about it sooner!

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:02 am
tamid wrote:
I LOVE IF. It has revolutionized my way of eating. I do the 5:2 diet and find it fits in so well with my lifestyle as a mom of little kids and shomrei shabbas.
2 days a week you have to eat under 500 calories. To do this I drink lots of water/herbal teas all day, skip breakfast, eat something very small after 11am (a boiled egg/some cucumber - you'd be amazed how great this tastes on an empty stomach, and how satisfying it is - this first "meal" has taught me how good it feels to eat something pure and healthy first thing, and how to let myself feel hunger and then enjoy satisfying it). Then I might have a coffee with a splash of milk early afternoon. Then I have my evening meal early, around 5pm. Usually chicken breast no skin and steamed vegetables, or a tuna salad no dressing.

I find it so liberating to not really think about "what shall I eat next" all day. My mind feels so much clearer. If I really want something I just have to tell myself I can have it tomorrow. I sometimes feel a little hungry in the evening, but it makes me get to bed earlier, also a good thing!

On the 5 days when I'm not "fasting" I tend to put off breakfast as long as possible, then have a hearty meal (omelette, salad, toast / yogurt / big salad) around 11am, so this is also 16/8. Then I eat a regular dinner, and even snack in between. I do find that I crave more filling, wholesome foods in general now, although also still love chocolate! I've lost about 20lb and gone down 2 dress sizes, without having to cut out any food groups (I still enjoy carbs and avocadoes and pasta and cheese!!) and without limiting at all what I eat on shabbas. I think it's saved me money (eating less overall) and time. I feel great on it and don't feel deprived at all. No other diet has been so easy or worked so well for me. I wish I had heard about it sooner!

I personally feel I would get a huge migraine and have to be in bed all day to only eat 500 calories 2 days a week while working and taking care of my young kids

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
I personally feel I would get a huge migraine and have to be in bed all day to only eat 500 calories 2 days a week while working and taking care of my young kids

I guess it's not great for people prone to migraines but if like me you're one of those people who after tsom gedalia or other minor fasts feels cleansed and really enjoys that first meal, then this system may well work for you too. It's not proper fasting. It may be the migraines are mainly caused by lack of fluids. On this system you can drink as much as you want all day.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:38 pm
Shani88 wrote:
I know this is not for everyone but I am personally obsessed with it and just want to share this in case it could help someone. The way I have been doing it is fasting till 12pm and stopping to eat by 8pm. Its amazing and basically just skipping breakfast and preventing night time munching. I’m thin but have gained 5 pounds this winter so my goal is to lose that, eat healthier, stop binging, and exercise more. I started this a few days ago and I already lost 2 pounds! It is not only the weight loss aspect that I love. I love the fact that I do not have to think about food while fasting. There’s actually studies that show it reverses negative health issues and is anti aging. This is definitely a lifetime commitment that I really want to stick with. Maybe I’ll use this thread to update my journey.

Edit: I decided I don’t need to be anonymous about this

The problem is, every single doctor, dietitian/nutritionist will agree that fasting in the morning actually slows down your metabolism. You’re supposed to eat soon after rising in order to make it start working....

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 5:22 pm
Cheiny wrote:
The problem is, every single doctor, dietitian/nutritionist will agree that fasting in the morning actually slows down your metabolism. You’re supposed to eat soon after rising in order to make it start working....

Not every single.

Google Dr. Eric Berg. He makes a very good case for just the opposite, actually.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 1:19 pm
Cheiny wrote:

That may be so, but it's totally working for me. I feel great on it and am steadily losing weight.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 1:55 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I always thought skipping breakfast wasn’t good. Could someone explain?

Studies brought to you by Kellogg’s.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 1:59 pm
Cheiny wrote:

You need to eat well when you are in an eating window.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 2:01 pm
Update. 85 pounds lost. Maintained 18% body loss for over 12 months plus lost more. This is a combination of of IF AND low carb for me.

lovetobemommy

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 5:18 pm
I always gain a lot of weight while nursing even though everyone around me looses while nursing....

atara4

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:10 am
I would love to try this! My freind is doing it now and it's really working for her.

mom22

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 8:05 am
Ladies!
I’m a huge IF fan. 16/8 love it and found I lost quickly consistently and kept it off but shabbos always had me putting on a pound I lost during the week!
Need advice on shabbos:
How do you do you so Friday night?!? Time wise on 16/8
Please advise any tips would be so helpful
TIA

Learning

Post Thu, Mar 21 2019, 3:35 pm
I can’t start eating at 12pm. I need to drink coffe with milk or half and half right away when I get up. Otherwise I don’t function
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise