Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do academics in preschool reflect the future

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:58 am
I have a son who is in pre1a and I have been told since playgroup how smart he is and he is a top student in the class.

I have a daughter who is 4 and I never got any feedback either way from her Morahs until this year and they keep telling me that she doesn’t understand concepts, is not getting aleph Bais and can’t hold scissor properly etc.

I am just curious if your weaker preschoolers stayed average/weak and if your top preschoolers stayed top throughout grade school?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:30 am
No, it's not a reflection of what the future will be for them. I have children who always did well and continue to do so. I have children who struggled a lot and ended up doing very well later.

One dd (who couldn't master the abc's in 1st grade) thrived in hs thanks to 1 teacher. She always thought she was dumb until this one teacher constantly praised her work in one subject. His praise built her up to a very confident person who knows she is capable of anything.

Another dd was not the best of students. Today she is in school for her dream job-and when she talks about it, I am amazed that this child can be so interested and knowledgeable, when she absolutely hated school and studying before.

A 3rd dd thought she was dumb until 2nd year hs when she was put in the advanced classes after she switched schools. She is a sought after teacher today.

enjoying kids

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:48 pm
Sorry to get on my soapbox here, but what's the big deal how academic your child is or isn't? It's just a trait, like tall or short.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:56 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:38 pm
Out of the siblings in my family the one we thought was the dumbest , didnt do well in school.
Is now the smartest doing the most brain heavy work.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
I have a son who is in pre1a and I have been told since playgroup how smart he is and he is a top student in the class.

I have a daughter who is 4 and I never got any feedback either way from her Morahs until this year and they keep telling me that she doesn’t understand concepts, is not getting aleph Bais and can’t hold scissor properly etc.

I am just curious if your weaker preschoolers stayed average/weak and if your top preschoolers stayed top throughout grade school?

Deleted

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:43 pm
I don't think there's a strong relationship, because kids grow at different paces and in a few years you can't really tell who was "top" or behind in preschool. However, if the teachers are saying that DC is "not understanding concepts" I would look into what they mean by that and whether it indicates a need for extra help.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:51 pm
I agree that people can bloom at different times.

However I would be concerned if I were told that a child was not grasping basic concepts and had difficulty with mechanical tasks like using a scissor. The years before formal schooling are extremely important in terms of readiness for learning.

If a teacher is advising that a child is well below her peer group , I would ask for or seek further testing to determine why. There are all kinds of things which could be causing this and early intervention could be helpful. It could be anything including eyesight issues.

Having an average typical child who isn’t academically gifted is different than when a pre school kid is well below the norm.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 1:51 pm
My niece who was held back in preschool because she had no interest in learning is now on a very prestigious, very academic, professional track. However, when you see a child isn't doing well, doesn't it make sense to do a good evaluation and see if there is an issue or is it just maturity?

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 2:22 pm
Holding scissors has to do with fine motor skills. OT can help. Is she a lefty? Then she would need diff type of scisccors

Miri7

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 2:34 pm
No. My DS who was a very late bloomer, finally took off reading one day. Has always been strong in math and now beats grownups at strategy games consistently.

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 2:48 pm
In addition to what other posters are saying, I'd suggest pinning down the teachers a bit. While I'm not trying to pick on teachers (I was a classroom teacher for almost 20 years), I think sometimes they paint with very, very wide brushes.

Your DD isn't "getting" aleph-beis? Does that mean she doesn't recognize letters? She confuses different letters? She takes longer than average to identify letters and sounds? What are the standards of "average"? How do they evaluate each child? What is considered a mastery level?

If the teachers and/or administrators are able to answer these questions easily and in an informed manner, then you should definitely pursue additional evaluation and/or remediation.

However, if you get vague responses, like, "Well, it just seems like . . .," then smile pleasantly and tell them you'll need more details in order to adequately address the problem.

Teachers are people, and some are lazy and kvetchy. Even more are completely unsupported by their administrators. They may even have legitimate reason for concern, but don't allow them to put the monkey on your back without at least telling you the monkey's name.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:21 pm
Fox, liking your post was not enough. It is truly inspired.

watergirl

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:45 pm
I’m also reslly disturned that a preschool teacher would tell you that your child is “top” in the class. Its PRESCHOOL for cryin out loud! This business with “top” is really carried away. I would bet all of my money that this teacher has no actual degree or education.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics