Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do you feel about having ADHD?
Previous  1  2

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:23 pm
I find Flylady's emails annoying. There are way too many of them (although you can choose the 1x/day option), and many of them are just trying to get you to buy the products she sells. I read her book and watched some of her videos, and created my own very simple routines that I (try to) follow.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
I find Flylady's emails annoying. There are way too many of them (although you can choose the 1x/day option), and many of them are just trying to get you to buy the products she sells. I read her book and watched some of her videos, and created my own very simple routines that I (try to) follow.
I have never bought a product from her but I don't mind that.

She provides a free service and she has the right to try to monetize it

she's allowed to send one email a day to monetize at considering that she sends out several helpful ones

At least this way everyone can use her service for free

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the one in the other thread who took Concerta for 13 years and has been off of it for 5 years.

I am very grateful to be off it. Life is a struggle but now I feel that my accomplishments are my own not thanks to meds.

I would use for my kids as necessary but I wish I had tried more medicine vacations as a kid. I organize my house via flylady email and have a family calendar.

I'm fine with the fact that I am on medication. I still struggle even though I'm on it and I happen to feel very accomplished actually. Not saying the way you feel is wrong- of course it isn't- we all feel differently, just want to point it out in case others are debating if they should try medication. I'm someone who takes medication for ADD and I feel accomplished and grateful that the medication exists and that I have access to it.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:23 pm
For those of you who have a diagnosis of ADD -- how bad does it need to be to actually be diagnosed? I'm getting more and more convinced that I have ADD, but my therapist said I'm probably not diagnosable.

This is what I'm like: my apartment is often very messy, I lose my keys a lot, I'm somewhat disorganized, I have a hard time prioritizing the things I need to do, and I procrastinate a lot. To be fair to myself, though, my schedule is insane, and very few people would be able to keep an apartment clean like this. Also, I was brought up in a messy house and never taught how to organize properly. Is that ADD, or just missing organizational skills that were never taught properly? Also, I don't really have enough space for my stuff nowadays, which definitely contributes to the mess.

I'm asking because I'm also the kind of person who constantly empties my inbox on my phone and e-mail.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:53 pm
Quote:
I have never bought a product from her but I don't mind that.

She provides a free service and she has the right to try to monetize it

she's allowed to send one email a day to monetize at considering that she sends out several helpful ones

At least this way everyone can use her service for free

Of course! I was just letting people know that if the emails don't work for them, they can still use the Flylady system and it will be fine. You don't need to be signed up in order to do Flylady. I bought her book and much prefer that.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
For those of you who have a diagnosis of ADD -- how bad does it need to be to actually be diagnosed? I'm getting more and more convinced that I have ADD, but my therapist said I'm probably not diagnosable.

This is what I'm like: my apartment is often very messy, I lose my keys a lot, I'm somewhat disorganized, I have a hard time prioritizing the things I need to do, and I procrastinate a lot. To be fair to myself, though, my schedule is insane, and very few people would be able to keep an apartment clean like this. Also, I was brought up in a messy house and never taught how to organize properly. Is that ADD, or just missing organizational skills that were never taught properly? Also, I don't really have enough space for my stuff nowadays, which definitely contributes to the mess.

I'm asking because I'm also the kind of person who constantly empties my inbox on my phone and e-mail.

So I don't have a diagnosis so perhaps I shouldn't be responding, but I'm pretty certain that I have it. To me, the fact that you're constantly emptying your inboxes shows that you're not ADD type, but then again, you can't base a diagnosis on one instance...

And being messy is also not automatically a sign either. Certainly not when someone hasn't learnt the skills to keep house.

Is your head constantly in a disarray? That would more mean something.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:27 pm
I had a diagnosis as a kid and no u dont have adhd. You just need to lower your expectations.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 9:25 am
amother wrote:
So I don't have a diagnosis so perhaps I shouldn't be responding, but I'm pretty certain that I have it. To me, the fact that you're constantly emptying your inboxes shows that you're not ADD type, but then again, you can't base a diagnosis on one instance...

And being messy is also not automatically a sign either. Certainly not when someone hasn't learnt the skills to keep house.

Is your head constantly in a disarray? That would more mean something.

I don't know... sometimes, when I have a lot of things to do, it's hard for me to figure out what to do first. Also, I do occasionally bounce from one thing to the next. My brain is sort of neat and messy at the same time -- it's like I have neat compartments for everything, and sometimes everything is well-organized, but sometimes it gets really messed up and it's hard to organize the mental clutter.

Also, I always wondered why I seem to talk too much in social situations. Again, that could be from my family -- my mother doesn't stop talking for 5 seconds. But a lot of times, I need to mentally remind myself to be quiet. I found this as a symptom of ADD, which surprised me. Also, I tend to jump from one topic to the next when I'm talking, and if you asked me to retrace the thread of the conversation, I'd have a very hard time. But I don't know if I do it more than other people do--maybe?

A poster I was discussing this mentioned that it could be that since my Myers-Briggs type is ISTJ, my natural personality is to be neat and organized, but between my background and ADD traits, I can often get very disorganized.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know... sometimes, when I have a lot of things to do, it's hard for me to figure out what to do first. Also, I do occasionally bounce from one thing to the next. My brain is sort of neat and messy at the same time -- it's like I have neat compartments for everything, and sometimes everything is well-organized, but sometimes it gets really messed up and it's hard to organize the mental clutter.

Also, I always wondered why I seem to talk too much in social situations. Again, that could be from my family -- my mother doesn't stop talking for 5 seconds. But a lot of times, I need to mentally remind myself to be quiet. I found this as a symptom of ADD, which surprised me. Also, I tend to jump from one topic to the next when I'm talking, and if you asked me to retrace the thread of the conversation, I'd have a very hard time. But I don't know if I do it more than other people do--maybe?

A poster I was discussing this mentioned that it could be that since my Myers-Briggs type is ISTJ, my natural personality is to be neat and organized, but between my background and ADD traits, I can often get very disorganized.

no one is perfect. It's "normal" to have some ADD tendencies. Try getting some kind of help where you can learn to be organized. I'm sure something like that exists. See if that helps.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 8:15 pm
So for people who think that a messy house is a symptom of ADHD--in my case I think it's the opposite. I never had a problem focusing on school work. I can sit and work on a paper for hours. I do that by shutting out my surroundings to focus only on the task at hand. Meanwhile I'm totally blocking out the mess. So I definitely don't have a problem with attention and focusing. I guess it depends on what I choose to focus on.

My point is, I dont think being disorganized is synonymous with having ADHD.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
So for people who think that a messy house is a symptom of ADHD--in my case I think it's the opposite. I never had a problem focusing on school work. I can sit and work on a paper for hours. I do that by shutting out my surroundings to focus only on the task at hand. Meanwhile I'm totally blocking out the mess. So I definitely don't have a problem with attention and focusing. I guess it depends on what I choose to focus on.

My point is, I dont think being disorganized is synonymous with having ADHD.
perhaps not but I have never met a person wig adhd who didn't struggle with neatness. It's even on the symptoms list

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 8:33 pm
ectomorph wrote:
perhaps not but I have never met a person wig adhd who didn't struggle with neatness. It's even on the symptoms list

It could be true that all people with ADHD struggle with neatness.

It does not follow that all people who struggle with neatness have ADHD.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:

oh yes. I completely agree

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:47 pm
I hate it. I take methylphenidate at work so I can get things done without being constantly distracted. I have been working on techniques to compensate but that only goes so far.

I'm very successful in my career and my home is ok.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:

I actually had a student with both ADHD and ocd so she was compulsively organized, and couldn't focus if things weren't neat. ( She and I had a deal where she cleaned up the classroom during class and I taught her one on one during recess).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics