Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Catskills or Poconos tips please

LibiBamizrach

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 3:18 pm
Hi all! I would like to take my family on a short winter getaway. From Thursday to Sunday night or Monday morning. My husband has a friend with a beautiful summer home in the country that we can use for shabbos. What to do after and before that? Are there winter sports up in the catskills (we will probably be in south fallsburg) or should we figure something out in the Poconos. Catch is the summer home is for free!! So I'd like to take it from there. Please advise. Thanks

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 3:37 pm
The only place with winter sports in the catskills I can think of is holiday mountain. Otherwise, there isnt much to do in the catskills in the winter.

honeymoon

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 3:41 pm
If I remember correctly, Camelback Resort in the Poconos has great winter sports..

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:08 pm
A lot of what you can do in the Poconos can also be done in the Catskills. For skiing, there's Hunter, Windham, and Belleayre. I believe the first two also have snowtubing, as does Plattekill. There may be ice skating and snowmobiling, though you'd have to google for more info.

For an indoor activity, Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame is a reasonable drive from South Fallsburg; also check out the largest kaleidoscope in the world at the Emerson Resort in Mt. Tremper.

LibiBamizrach

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:24 pm
thank you everyone for responses. what exactly is holiday inn? my kids are little I dont think they can ski yet I was thinking more snowtubing...

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:26 pm
Holiday mountain is snow tubing and skiing.
Hunter mountain is a good 2 hour drive from south fallsburg, it's right by the poconos.

LibiBamizrach

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:30 pm
Holiday mountain sounds right. I'll google it. How far is it approximately from south fallsburg?

LibiBamizrach

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:31 pm
oh.. I see its really close by! thanks everyone for your responses

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:32 pm
It's in Monticello, maybe a 10-15 minute drive. Just call ahead for their hours before you plan to go.

esther36

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:20 pm
Holiday mountain is a bit more glorified online than in real life. We were in the Catskills last winter and they were making snow for snowtubing but not everyday so call before u go. It was also a bit pricey...

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:36 pm
Esther36, many snowtubing places make snow for snowtubing. It depends how much it snows that season.

LibiBamizrach

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 8:46 pm
There hasn't been much snow so far so I'm assuming wherever we go will be makings snow. It does look quite pricey though is $90 a ski session per kid the normal price? I wouldn't know...

alwayscooking

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 9:14 pm
Before you go to Holiday Mountain call to find out height restrictions we went last year and my kids were to short. Villa Roma is near White Lake and has loads of attractions for all ages.

LibiBamizrach

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 9:16 pm
my youngest is 3.5 will he be too short? not sure exactly how tall he is...How do I find out more about Villa Roma. what type of attractions do they have there?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:09 pm
Holiday Mountain is definitely the closest to Fallsburg, but it's significantly smaller than the other places I mentioned. If the other places are (small) mountains, Holiday is more of a hill. If your kids are young, they might not notice or mind, and for first time skiers, it can be great (though expensive, though before you decide it's crazy expensive, check out rates at other places, as skiing is in general an expensive hobby.

But for tubing with older kids, I think they'd find it boring before too long. The details of their policies (height, times, pricing, etc.) should be on their website. Also, Hunter Mt. may not be near Fallsburg, but it's in the other direction, not near the Poconos at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics