Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/o can you have a vacation with kids?
Previous  1  2

Zehava

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 10:30 pm
sky wrote:
I guess I haven’t gone on a vacation in approx 7 years.

But seriously I love going away with my kids we do ‘relaxing’ activities liking hiking, bonfires, boating, bbq in the woods, watching a sunset. It is relaxing even though it’s a ton of work (we also normally include a day of amusement parks and I find that more stressful).
But I honestly look back at our trip pictures and remember them so fondly it must have been a vacation.

I’m also the type of person that would lose my mind sting at a pool or beach doing nothing. I don’t find that really relaxing.

I don’t usually sit at the pool or beach doing nothing, only when we take along a young infant and go more local, like Florida.
But when we venture further it’s usually a mix of adventure and relaxation. Still even while we’re doing exciting stuff my mind is calmer without the responsibility of taking care of my kids.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
Kids generally don't 'need' a vacation, but a family vacation really strengthens the family unit. With kids of all ages, the older ones barely spend much time together with the younger ones. Every one is on a different schedule, doing their own stuff and with today's hectic lifestyle, they barely have a chance to focus attention on one another. We do have Shabbos and Yomim Tovim, but there's just something about leaving all the familiar stuff behind and exploring a new environment. Everyone is together, everyone has left their responsibilities and pressures behind, and we're all experiencing the adventure together as one unit. The kids argue less, they have more than two minute conversations with each other and they work, plan and play together, hand in hand. And of course, we can't leave out the undivided attention that mommy and tatty give them on these days.

It not only builds lasting memories, it builds the family connection.

I agree with you
We do that a lot in the summer. And we do family trips as well. I love exploring with my kids. But it’s not a vacation for me. I’m still “working”.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 1:02 am
amother wrote:
Kids generally don't 'need' a vacation, but a family vacation really strengthens the family unit. With kids of all ages, the older ones barely spend much time together with the younger ones. Every one is on a different schedule, doing their own stuff and with today's hectic lifestyle, they barely have a chance to focus attention on one another. We do have Shabbos and Yomim Tovim, but there's just something about leaving all the familiar stuff behind and exploring a new environment. Everyone is together, everyone has left their responsibilities and pressures behind, and we're all experiencing the adventure together as one unit. The kids argue less, they have more than two minute conversations with each other and they work, plan and play together, hand in hand. And of course, we can't leave out the undivided attention that mommy and tatty give them on these days.

It not only builds lasting memories, it builds the family connection.

I agree completely. The family dynamics change when you’re away from home and I feel it’s so important for family bonding.
My parents never took us on trips or vacations, except boring car rides to visit family. We never even stopped off on the way except to go to the bathroom. I feel that the repercussions from this are felt til today.
DH and I take our kids on day trips a lot and major trips when we can.
We try to get away without the kids but never for more than one night, because of their ages and childcare issues. When they are all older and out of diapers we have lots of plans to take them to some really nice destinations.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 1:09 am
Ugh. No. Currently on one with my 2 year old. My husband still books exotic and expensive places (all on points) and doesn't realize I'm the one keeping track of bedtimes, meal times, snack times and activity levels. I guess we've both been in denial that we are no longer child free. I told him today that I'm done. I'd rather stay home and go to the zoo than take long flights to interesting places which I can't get to see.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 9:03 am
I completely agree with Zehava.
When I go with my kids it’s a family trip . To me a vacation signifies relaxing/ free of responsibilities etc., and a family trip is anything but that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics