Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What do you think of the Marie Kondo method (declutering)?
1  2  3  Next

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:38 am
Have you read her book and watched her series about declutering and being minimalist?
What do you all think?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:40 am
I personally think that most of the method is not realistic for a large family like mine, imho.
Maybe just the folding part.

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
I personally think that most of the method is not realistic for a large family like mine, imho.

My husband was making the same argument. I really loved her concept and I’m wondering to which extent is possible to be minimalist with a large frum family

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:42 am
I'm addicted to it now. I found it really helpful. I organized all our closets and drawers and my kids love the arrangement to. My DH said I can "spark joy" to my hearts content as long as it doesn't involve him get rid of his own things . Lol. He thinks I'm always throwing things away.
My boys like the folding method and the way the clothes are upright and it's easy for them to see everything.
I already had a similar way of folding but her added tips improved it.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:58 am
My husband and I watched it on Netflix. He started folding all his clothes the kondo way. We both love the way she talks, she's so classy and has so much respect for herself, for people and for things. I love the concept of thanking the things before putting them away instead of just throwing them out. I started buying nice boxes and really paying more attention to things that make me happy.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:06 am
Learn 3 concepts from her:
-Spark joy - hold and touch each item and learn what sparks joy in you
-Folding method for certain items in your home that you need help with (for me it's my silk scarf drawer that used to be a mess no matter how many times I recognized)
-Vertical papers instead of lying flat horizontal pile of to-do mail (horizontal papers just get ignored)

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
My husband and I watched it on Netflix. He started folding all his clothes the kondo way. We both love the way she talks, she's so classy and has so much respect for herself, for people and for things. I love the concept of thanking the things before putting them away instead of just throwing them out. I started buying nice boxes and really paying more attention to things that make me happy.

Have you read her book? The mindset is really fascinating. (Personally, I torture my socks by rolling them into balls.)

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:17 am
amother wrote:

Large families didn't always have so much stuff.

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:18 am
I keep her method in mind whenever I declutter/ organize, but I don’t use her method across the board.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:20 am
amother wrote:

I also liked the idea of having hakaras hatov to things we are getting rid of.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:26 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I also liked the idea of having hakaras hatov to things we are getting rid of.

I think it's nice to pause like that. We have such a mesorah for this - pachim ketanim, Moshe Rabbeinu not doing the first three makos, but above all we need to have hakaras hatov to Hashem for endowing us with what we needed at the time, and what we need now.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:42 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I think it's nice to pause like that. We have such a mesorah for this - pachim ketanim, Moshe Rabbeinu not doing the first three makos, but above all we need to have hakaras hatov to Hashem for endowing us with what we needed at the time, and what we need now.

Yes. Also I remember in sem I was told that one shouldn't throw clothing on the floor because it's disrespectful to do that to a gift hashem gave.. because everything we have, he has given us.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 5:50 pm
Use what works for you and ignore the rest. Don't turn the Kondo method, or anything else, into a religion.

I like her folding method for some things and not for others. I don't bother with the sparking joy bit--not everything in life must or can spark joy. A screwdriver will spark joy, not when I look at it or hold it, but when I need it and use it. Although to call that "sparking joy" is a bit of an overstatement. Gratitude is more correct...gratitude that I had what I needed when I needed to use it. What sparks joy is the ability to fix something. Seven years of old tax returns most assuredly do not spark joy, yet I still have to keep them, and being able to put my hands on them right away in case of an audit would spark gratitude and relief that I have them, rather than "joy". OTOH,some things spark joy and yet should not be kept--e.g. beautiful garments that fit me for all of five minutes thirty years ago and never since. I get pleasure looking at them because they're lovely, but I should NOT be holding on to them. (Don't worrry, I'm not.)

I also disagree with some of her ideas about storage in one place. While it makes sense to have all of certain categories of stuff in one place, some things are used all over the house and one SHOULD have multiples to be kept in each place where they are used. I have a pair of scissors in just aboiut every room of the house except the living room, and it's going to stay that way. The scissors don't spark joy but they would spark major annoyance if I had just one pair and had to go all over the house to find them every time I needed them. If your linen closet is not big enough to hold all the linens, it makes perfect sense to store guest bedding in guest bedrooms.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:27 pm
I picked up this book once when I had nothing else to read, and at first I was rolling my eyes through it, like, man is she obsessed with organizing.

But when I got to the part where she wrote about expressing gratitude to your stuff, that resonated with me. She wrote, "Think about the journey this object made until it came into your possession," and I thought, this is exactly what we were always taught about hashgacha protis. If an object comes into our possession it's for a reason and we are meant to use it in some way to serve Hashem.

It still sounds a little silly to me to think whether my socks feel comfortable sitting in my drawer. But I do think more in terms of whether an object has already served its purpose and needs to be let go with thanks for a job well done. I also think more carefully before I buy something whether we really need it or it will only add to the clutter.

One thing we will never see eye to eye is books. She recommends not owning many books. We are a good Jewish home and there are books everywhere.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:32 pm
Just started doing her method and I love it! I didn’t read her book just watched a few of her YouTube tutorials and Netflix episodes.

I adapted her method to work for a large family. I can’t do all the clothes of the house in 1 big pile. That won’t work for so many people. I started with my things and even then, broke that down in categories. One day I went they my shabbos things. Next day I did my t shirts. A diff day I did socks/underwear/pjs. The process took longer than if I’d have done it all at once but with only an hour or 2 a day I can put aside for organizing I need to break it down. Next week I did dh’s Stuff. Week after I did my baby’s room, week after my boys room. Then went to the girls stuff. As I finished a room I purchased drawer boxes as needed.

When I’m done all clothing I’ll do her other categories, kitchen, books, linen closet, toys, storage area, and garage. This will take a very long time, at least 2 months.

I also don’t thank the item I’m throwing out/donating but I thank hashem for having it.

So far I’m seeing a huge difference in my home. I so much enjoy being in my newly organized rooms!

etky

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 2:06 am
Is there a Marie Kondo method for teenagers' pigstys? And helpful hints for how to motivate them to adhere to it? Banging head

rzab

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 3:52 am
I think like all things, there is some good and some that won't work for us.

I think the folding and some of the organizational tips are great. I started using them and I really see a difference in my house.

on the flip side, I'm not sure I'm into the whole sparking joy thing. Some things I own because they are practical. trust me, my broom does not spark joy, but it would spark a lot of negative feelings if I didnt have it!

I think there is def something to evaluating if things are necessary in your life. We def own to many things. I also like that she makes a point of the whole family lives here and everyone needs to be responsible for their own things.

Some things are def not practical for a frum home. For example, she says you should never have more then 30 books in your house at a time. you must be kidding, right?

iyar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:22 am
rzab wrote:
I think like all things, there is some good and some that won't work for us.

I think the folding and some of the organizational tips are great. I started using them and I really see a difference in my house.

on the flip side, I'm not sure I'm into the whole sparking joy thing. Some things I own because they are practical. trust me, my broom does not spark joy, but it would spark a lot of negative feelings if I didnt have it!

I think there is def something to evaluating if things are necessary in your life. We def own to many things. I also like that she makes a point of the whole family lives here and everyone needs to be responsible for their own things.

Some things are def not practical for a frum home. For example, she says you should never have more then 30 books in your house at a time. you must be kidding, right?

Rzab, just when I was thinking I have to go find out all about this-
30 books?
Thirty?!
Dh will sooner let me throw out the entire contents of his side of the closet than one single one of his way more than 30 (thirty!) "books".
Ouch.
Back to the drawing board Confused

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:48 am
iyar wrote:
Rzab, just when I was thinking I have to go find out all about this-
30 books?
Thirty?!
Dh will sooner let me throw out the entire contents of his side of the closet than one single one of his way more than 30 (thirty!) "books".
Ouch.
Back to the drawing board Confused

Many non Jews also had issues with her point of view on books. Like others said , take what works and don't do what doesn't work. I would encourage you to look into her method and leave out the books part of it. After all just between our soddurim, chumashim , machzorim, Gemara, Mishnayos etc , every frum family needs to have more than 30 books no matter which way you cut it. And then there are kids books, books for the adults , etc.

iyar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:07 am
Thank you thunderstorm. I get that. I can keep the books and still find at least a thousand other items that don't spark joy and don't belong.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics