Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hostess gift for the rich
Previous  1  2  3  Next

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:54 pm
As someone who hosts regularly and is of an age that I have everything I need and don't want gifts of food that we don't eat, what I appreciate most is a small donation made in our honor (here we usually do to a hachnosas kallah organization for anything wedding related).

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:55 pm
Get a cake. They can either use it to feed your guests or themselves. People also like personalized initial washing towels.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
Get a cake. They can either use it to feed your guests or themselves. People also like personalized initial washing towels.

For My last simcha I gave a babka. I got such great feedback! Should I give the same thing again? It was just last year and some of my guests are staying in same place.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:
For My last simcha I gave a babka. I got such great feedback! Should I give the same thing again? It was just last year and some of my guests are staying in same place.

I personally would love a babka every week. I don't think once a year is too often Very Happy

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 7:20 pm
I recently received a babka and gave it away as it is just DH and I at home and we don't eat cake. I've also got way more personalized towels than I need.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:08 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I recently received a babka and gave it away as it is just DH and I at home and we don't eat cake. I've also got way more personalized towels than I need.

OOT bubby- If you could receive the perfect gift, what would it be??

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:
OOT bubby- If you could receive the perfect gift, what would it be??

I already said above that my preference (and that of many of my friends) is a small donation to some tzedaka in my name. For wedding related simchas we usually do to a hachnosas kallah fund, by anything is good. Most of us just don't want more "stuff" and don't want (or don't eat) the kinds of food items often given. Even just a nice thank you note is fine.

London wife

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:17 pm
I have regularly guests and have received loads of presents which I seriously don't need (b"h I have what I need) a nice letter or poem is my most appreciated gift. It shows you spent some time putting your words and good blessings to paper. Perhaps attach it to a nice bunch of fresh flowers and give it lekovod shabbos

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

reason I mentioned that they were rich is b/c they don't need another candy dish or chachka, not b/c I didn't think they don't deserve a gift cz they're rich or have means. I want to give them something but just didn't want to give something that would be apprciated.

This is how I took it also. I have a similar issue. We live in a very far off place where we (the frum) people all buy food and wine by the cases. BH. We all have stocked freezers and pantrys because this is how we buy kosher food. So therefore when going to a friend for shabbos it's so "uselss" to bring a bottle of wine that the family already has cases of. Also there aren't judaica stores here so can't buy any chachkas. What to bring? Following.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
This is how I took it also. I have a similar issue. We live in a very far off place where we (the frum) people all buy food and wine by the cases. BH. We all have stocked freezers and pantrys because this is how we buy kosher food. So therefore when going to a friend for shabbos it's so "uselss" to bring a bottle of wine that the family already has cases of. Also there aren't judaica stores here so can't buy any chachkas. What to bring? Following.

Wine is always welcome by wine drinkers. We have a large bar. DH enjoys his wine and always appreciates a nice bottle.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
Wine is always welcome by wine drinkers. We have a large bar. DH enjoys his wine and always appreciates a nice bottle.

Some people though only drink wine for kiddush and prefer only a specific type. Whenever we are gifted wine we either regift it or give it for shalach manos.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:

You can always buy a small sectional dish and arrange some nice nuts/ dried fruit or fresh fruit. The point isn't so much whether or not they have access to those foods, it's just nice to get a platter ready to serve for dessert. Or flowers.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 9:39 pm
Flowers with a beautiful card.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 9:44 pm
Anything but a tchotchke but really I think that's true for everyone regardless of economic bracket. Unless you know someone truly needs or covets a specific object, best not to get something that will just add clutter to their house.

Flowers are nice- who doesn't like flowers. My friend gets the orchid plants from Trader Joes which are always a big hit and last a bit longer than cut flowers.

While some people might have wine, nuts or chocolate aplenty, I think enough people can make use of it so that it's a nice hostess present.

I know some people don't think food that needs to be eaten immediately is appropriate, but I think a really nice baked item would always be welcome - one could pair it with some nice tea or coffee for a breakfast presentation.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:19 pm
Agree with orchid or babka
Teabox is nice. Doesn’t matter if rich or poor, it’s a hostess gift

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:30 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Some people though only drink wine for kiddush and prefer only a specific type. Whenever we are gifted wine we either regift it or give it for shalach manos.

You really have to know the recipient because obviously this is not a one size fits all situation. I don't like donations in my name instead of gifts. I rather get nothing than a non-gift.

I like little candy dish type things or serving plates. It reminds me of the giver each time I use it. I am not one who buys these things, and I have plenty of room to store things. So you see, you never know.

High quality milchag chocolate is delicious and always welcome in my house.

Gracie

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:01 pm
I feel like you simply can't go wrong with flowers. Even if someone already has beautiful flowers for shabbos, you can always enjoy more!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:08 pm
Gracie wrote:
I feel like you simply can't go wrong with flowers. Even if someone already has beautiful flowers for shabbos, you can always enjoy more!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....22164

nchr

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:15 pm
1. Card stating you donated tzedaka to a cause for whatever reason is appropriate
2. If you don't mind that it is re-gifted, go with anything (diffuser, bowls, etc.)
3. Something for their kids (card game, brain teasers, wooden puzzles, etc.)
4. Plant
5. Standard wine, chocolates, etc.
6. Wireless keys finder
7. Portable lightbulb

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 1:31 am
amother wrote:

In your case, buying a sefer or even a kosher cookbook online and giving it would be very nice.
In general, I like to give homemade cake or cookies. A few people won't eat them, but most will.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics