Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you spend time making cute food?
Previous  1  2

Do you like to make cute food for your kids?
I make bento boxes  
 13%  [ 4 ]
I use pancake molds  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I cut up food into shapes  
 23%  [ 7 ]
other  
 63%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 30

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:30 pm
I hardly have time or energy to throw in frozen suppers...but I do sometimes arrange it on the plate in a cute way, just because it makes them smile. Like putting the chicken nuggets in a smiley face shape and the dot of ketchup as the nose. It literally takes 5 seconds. Sometimes I'll make a "flower." Or draw a heart with the ketchup. Not patchke with the actual food, just moving it around on the plate.

nchr

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:38 pm
Not regularly, but I have been known to do the happy face pancakes. We also do jelly molds, cookie molds, etc. but not too often.

The best thing for pickiness, IME, has been to just serve buffet style. They may choose one particular dish a few nights in a row, but studies have shown kids will choose balanced foods overall that way.

Last edited by nchr on Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:42 pm
ectomorph wrote:
haha! The only mother I know who do this have one or two children and don't plan on having anymore kids.

I personally think that not only does it waste food & makes your kid refuse to eat it except for in that shape

Lol.
My sister has Bli shin hora 7 (the oldest is 12). She works till 4 every day besides fridays (till 12).

She is creative though- so supper is one day chicken and rice/ once from frozen meatballs etc. but the day that’s it’s pancakes it’s always in shapes. And there’s always special pretty Rosh Chodesh dinner. Her husband’s plate is always pretty with some flair etc.

I am expecting my first but even before I was- it’s chicken and rice from the oven to table dish. I’m just not creative and I don’t enjoy it. I invest in other ways. But you don’t have to be bored to be creative!

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:27 pm
[quote="amother"]shock[/quote
Just have to respond to this what age kids are u sending to bed hungry if your oldest is 3???????

momof2+?

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:33 pm
I don't generally make food 'cute', but one idea I do is grilling chicken burgers (hamburgers, but with ground chicken) in diff shapes. Anything simple- triangle, lollipop shape, square, cookie (circle), an ABC letter, I've done a car shape... I think that the fact that the child is choosing which chicken burger to eat, makes them more agreeable to eat it.

Last edited by momof2+? on Wed, Jan 23 2019, 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

thanks

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:48 pm
[quote="amother"]
amother wrote:
shock[/quote
Just have to respond to this what age kids are u sending to bed hungry if your oldest is 3???????

If they were hungry they would eat. That's the point.
And if they tell you they're hungry after you announce its bedtime, they're not!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:49 pm
Sometimes I make “cute food” for fun. Nothing to do with pickiness. It makes the kids excited as well.

gold21

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:51 pm
Israeli_C wrote:
No. 4 kids under 3 years old. No time for this nonsense.

Don't want to eat? Then you're going to bed hungry. I don't pander to pickiness.

Other kids not so far away are starving and I should be cookie cutting their sandwiches?

You may have 4 kids under 3, but that's not on them. Kids will be kids, no matter how many there are of them. Part of raising kids is dealing with all sorts of nonsense.

I am sure that you are an incredible mother, but something about your post made me feel compelled to reply.

Good luck with your little crew. :-)

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:10 am
My kids who know that dinner happens once are 1.5 and 3 years old. The 6 week old twins are (tfu tfu!) eating very well day and night.
Thanks to Thanks (lol!) who hit the nail on the head- if they were hungry when bedtime was announced, they would have eaten. I'm not going to resurrect their dinner when they're in their PJs and after a bath because they missed the boat. Also on a sidenote- for those who wish to criticize my parenting, at least grow a pair and post it under your screen name.
Sorry, but I've a problem with raising self entitled children who need me to hop through hoops for them to fulfill basic requirements like eating. Especially when we live in a world where in the city beside us there are families going hungry. What kind of education is it to have to make their dinner into a smiley face for them to consume it? I've never encountered this in my life (certainly not in my childhood) and am not jumping on the bandwagon

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:15 am
I’m with Ruchel

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:33 am
Other: No.

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:37 am
I do not make cute food. But I do cater to their likes and dislikes..... I don't put effort into the presentation. It's just food they like.

I only have one very picky eater. The rest are pretty easy to work with.

None of them care about presentation. They just like what they like.

thanks

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 1:22 am
Israeli_C wrote:
My kids who know that dinner happens once are 1.5 and 3 years old. The 6 week old twins are (tfu tfu!) eating very well day and night.
Thanks to Thanks (lol!) who hit the nail on the head- if they were hungry when bedtime was announced, they would have eaten. I'm not going to resurrect their dinner when they're in their PJs and after a bath because they missed the boat. Also on a sidenote- for those who wish to criticize my parenting, at least grow a pair and post it under your screen name.
Sorry, but I've a problem with raising self entitled children who need me to hop through hoops for them to fulfill basic requirements like eating. Especially when we live in a world where in the city beside us there are families going hungry. What kind of education is it to have to make their dinner into a smiley face for them to consume it? I've never encountered this in my life (certainly not in my childhood) and am not jumping on the bandwagon

Thanks for thanking me. My kids are grown now, and I had a relatively small family. Still, I feel as you do. If any kid said they were hungry at bedtime, I told them they'll have a delicious breakfast in the morning. They are not hungry at bedtime! I don't get parents who give in to this. Kids today are not going to bed hungry unless they are growing up in extreme poverty. There is no need to give in to their pickiness or desire to eat at bedtime. If you offer nutritious food at mealtime and healthy snacks in between, you are an amazing parent, and you are teaching your children good eating habits. Giving children food so they can avoid going to bed...why would that be a good idea?

How many of you are still trying to kick the habit of eating late at night?

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 5:46 am
thanks wrote:
How many of you are still trying to kick the habit of eating late at night?

A lot of us grown ups are still struggling with this one Laugh

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:04 pm
Not to get picky eaters to eat. That would be rewarding pickiness. Besides, who has time for this? Sure, once in a blue moon on a civil
holiday when I have the day off and the playful spirit moves me, why not have a bit of fun? But not as a steady diet and certainly not to cater to picky eaters. I tell kids you don’t want to eat, don’t eat. Otherwise it becomes a power struggle you can’t ever win.

cinnabon

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:00 pm
Make pictures with ketchup, or whichever Alef Bais they’re learning with ketchup.
Smiley pancakes or scrambled eggs...
nothing crazy - takes less than 30 seconds
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics