Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Not filing taxes?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sky

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:17 pm
If you hire a nanny, a housecleaner, or a landscaper and you pay any of them more than $2,100 in 2018, then you'll need to pay employment taxes for that person
If she isn’t bringing her own tools and uses yours.

If you have help do you take care to make sure those taxes are paid?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:28 pm
sky wrote:
If you hire a nanny, a housecleaner, or a landscaper and you pay any of them more than $2,100 in 2018, then you'll need to pay employment taxes for that person
If she isn’t bringing her own tools and uses yours.

If you have help do you take care to make sure those taxes are paid?

OP started this thread by saying she is honest. Why are you challenging her?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:
in #2 she clearly said it.

No.

Reporting her would be calling the IRS and saying 'my daycare provider does not pay tax'.

OP claiming the childcare expenses and listing her childcare provider - as is required to claim the childcare expenses - is not reporting the childcare provider.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:34 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
In Baltimore the MAJORITY of playgroups/camps I sent to do not file or give out their info.

Really? So I guess Im in the minority! Im in Baltimore and I always give out my social. And I ALWAYS file taxes. Dina d'malchusa dina. It would be stealing to not declare my earnings.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:
OP started this thread by saying she is honest. Why are you challenging her?

I find people think they are more honest then they think they are or when it is convenient.
If she was truly honest she’d pull her kid out - not figure out how to get the women to pay.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
No.

Reporting her would be calling the IRS and saying 'my daycare provider does not pay tax'.

OP claiming the childcare expenses and listing her childcare provider - as is required to claim the childcare expenses - is not reporting the childcare provider.

Of course it is. Childcare doesn’t declare income. I declare I paid childcare. Numbers don’t add up so childcare gets in trouble . How is that not reporting?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
Of course it is. Childcare doesn’t declare income. I declare I paid childcare. Numbers don’t add up so childcare gets in trouble . How is that not reporting?

It increases the risk that the childcare provider will get caught. Its not 'reporting'.

You can't be 'reporting someone' by filing a tax return accurately.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:52 pm
Now we gotta make an effort to help others break the law?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:53 pm
sky wrote:
I find people think they are more honest then they think they are or when it is convenient.
If she was truly honest she’d pull her kid out - not figure out how to get the women to pay.

She's not trying to figure out how to get the woman to pay.

She's not doing anything wrong from a tax perspective by sending her child to this daycare provider - unless you are suggesting that in your opinion she is actually an employee of OP.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
It increases the risk that the childcare provider will get caught. Its not 'reporting'.

You can't be 'reporting someone' by filing a tax return accurately.

You can be right doing the wrong thing. It’s rishusdik
If you want to claim taxes send to a place that is on the books.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:
Really? So I guess Im in the minority! Im in Baltimore and I always give out my social. And I ALWAYS file taxes. Dina d'malchusa dina. It would be stealing to not declare my earnings.

im this amother. why the hugs? I dont get it...

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:56 pm
In practice OP - what does happen - is people go back to their childcare provider and say fine: I won't make claim, as that puts you at risk, and I'm not looking to do that. My accountant tells me I'll be out $X for that. Please reduce my next fee payment accordingly.

**this would not fly as being perfectly ethical - and creates risk for the person requesting the fee reduction.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
She's not trying to figure out how to get the woman to pay.

She's not doing anything wrong from a tax perspective by sending her child to this daycare provider - unless you are suggesting that in your opinion she is actually an employee of OP.

I’m saying op already did something wrong. She sent to a non-legal day care. Why is that ok?
The idea is you pay less for a legal place because they aren’t paying taxes. Send to a legal place and pay the amount you save in extra tuition.

Secondly I find many who claim about others not paying taxes don’t always follow the letter of the law themselves.

I’m sorry I brought it up. Im sure op pays taxes for cleaning ladies. It was wrong of me to assume otherwise.k

Last edited by sky on Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
You can be right doing the wrong thing. It’s rishusdik
If you want to claim taxes send to a place that is on the books.

The client is not responsible for the businesses books.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:59 pm
sky wrote:
I’m saying op already did something wrong. She sent to a non-legal day care. Why is that ok?

Secondly I find many who claim about others not paying taxes don’t always follow the letter of the law themselves.

I’m sorry I brought it up. Im sure op pays taxes for cleaning ladies. It was wrong of me to assume otherwise.

non-legal daycare has zero to do with income tax.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
non-legal daycare has zero to do with income tax.

But you can’t claim op is perfectly honest.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:19 am
sky wrote:
But you can’t claim op is perfectly honest.

Its not dishonest to send to an illegal daycare.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:47 am
You are required in the US to report all income, even if earned through illegal means. There is even a space on the form for it.

https://taxfoundation.org/irs-.....ials/

The IRS is prohibited from taking legal action just because illegal income is reported, so your babysitter should file. You can also file it, without her info as others pointed out. You might want to talk to a tax advisor to make sure you do it right.

Al Capone was convicted because he did NOT pay taxes on illegal income, after all. 😀 He was never convicted of other crimes and should have just filed.

Reporting her is a different matter, and I'm not getting into that.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
In practice OP - what does happen - is people go back to their childcare provider and say fine: I won't make claim, as that puts you at risk, and I'm not looking to do that. My accountant tells me I'll be out $X for that. Please reduce my next fee payment accordingly.

**this would not fly as being perfectly ethical - and creates risk for the person requesting the fee reduction.

Non legal playgroups in my area are around $400 a month and legal playgroups are around $575. That's a difference of around $2k a year.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:57 am
ra_mom wrote:
Non legal playgroups in my area are around $400 a month and legal playgroups are around $575. That's a difference of around $2k a year.

If that is the case - sounds like there is a bit of an implicit understanding Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics