Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What do you think of the Marie Kondo method (declutering)?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:29 am
Your broom definitely gives you joy. Ah! After the mess is cleaned up, a mechaya!

In world at large paper books, paper anything is not needed as everything you can have electronically instead.

We have shabbos where we can't E-read, teenagers need to have what to do on shabbos, when most activities are not allowed, many Jewish books are not available electronically, many dont give kids access to computers, plus all seforim ( although I have a wall to wall unit filled with seforim only a handful are really used)

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:31 am
After all we are called "The people of the book"

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:04 pm
I put her in the same category as Jordan Peterson. Many of her ideas are more reminders of what we already know than original ideas or even interpretations or adaptations. I would recommend borrowing her book from the library or watching YouTube videos and, as other posters have mentioned, take what you can use.

Actually plunking down real money? Meh. "Make your bed and pick up after yourself. That'll be $20, please."

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:14 pm
I haven't seen her but when I help other people organize their stuff (just for fun, not professionally) I find that 1. they hold on to stuff they don't love 2. they hold on to stuff they don't need. I avoid buying books for financial reasons but when I bought cheap paperbacks to go on vacation, I would drop them off at the library afterwards because what do I need to hold on to them for? I have multiples of seforim from my kids and as soon as they have enough bookshelves in their own homes I will present them with theirs from their school days and let them deal with it. Chances are their kids will need them so I hear what she is saying about books.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:16 pm
Fox wrote:
I put her in the same category as Jordan Peterson. Many of her ideas are more reminders of what we already know than original ideas or even interpretations or adaptations. I would recommend borrowing her book from the library or watching YouTube videos and, as other posters have mentioned, take what you can use.

Actually plunking down real money? Meh. "Make your bed and pick up after yourself. That'll be $20, please."

She is able to deal with the problem of sentimentality better than anybody else that I've ever read or heard on the topic.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 5:31 pm
oneofakind wrote:
soon as they have enough bookshelves in their own homes I will present them with theirs from their school days and let them deal with it. Chances are their kids will need them so I hear what she is saying about books.

What makes you think they will want them? Chances are their children’s schools will use a different edition and your grandchildren will not use the old ones. Give them away to someone who can use them now.

iyar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:56 pm
Fox wrote:

Fox, you're a great writer!
Take that sentiment and expand it into 120 pages.
You can be the next Marie Kondo!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:32 pm
zaq wrote:
What makes you think they will want them? Chances are their children’s schools will use a different edition and your grandchildren will not use the old ones. Give them away to someone who can use them now.

I guess we're talking about chumashim and Kitzurs and Navis. Although to be honest they're pretty beat up after a few years of use.

crust

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:02 am
I was so curious about her folding method I had to watch a video.
How does it stay intact?
I like everything folded in the flattest way possible. Small rolled up things fall all over the place. A flat pile is much more likely to stay in place.

Am I not getting something? I wonder if I have to watch another one or this is it?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:26 am
crust wrote:
How does it stay intact?
I like everything folded in the flattest way possible. Small rolled up things fall all over the place. A flat pile is much more likely to stay in place.

Am I not getting something? I wonder if I have to watch another one or this is it?

She wrote books and has a tv show on Netflix.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 4:58 am
A BIG MEH

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
I guess we're talking about chumashim and Kitzurs and Navis. Although to be honest they're pretty beat up after a few years of use.
Course we are talking about holy books. Nevertheless, from one generation to the next the books change. I grew up on Siddur Shiloh; my kids got Artscroll. If nothing else, the pagination changes and the chosen mefarshim change, so when the teacher says please open your Chumash to page ayin zayin and find the Ramban halfway down the page, your kid with the odd Sefer from thirty years ago will be lost. And as you say the books are usually not in the best condition.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 6:10 am
As the wise Fox (and King Solomon before her) says, there is nothing new under the sun.

Some people have a way of writing that resonates with certain people, and other people need to hear the same message given over in another way.

When I need motivation, I watch YouTube videos like "Hoarders" and "How Clean Is Your House?" Between every show, I get up and tackle a job I've been putting off, before I let myself sit down again.

I need to pace myself so that I don't get ill, so this works really well and I don't get so overwhelmed.

I haven't seen Kondo on Netflix yet, but it's at the top of my list.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:49 am
crust wrote:
How does it stay intact?

I also always folded flat. But if you pull something out from in middle of the pile of folded items, the top pieces fall and tend to turn into a mess unless you refold it all.
Her way is thicker but standing up and it stays standing even when an item in the middle is removed.
Also, if you are looking for grey pants that's are all the way at the bottom of folded pants in a drawer you have to lift all the other pants to find the grey pants at the bottom. With her way you see everything there is without touching any of it.
On her Netflix series she goes to multiple homes and different folding scenarios come up and she explains how to handle each one. Ex. Bulky clothes, hoodies, towels, fitted sheets, scarves, socks etc.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:04 pm
I like her method. I love the "sparks joy" idea, to me that's what really makes her book stand out. There are a lot of good books on decluttering, but the focus on the positive is what's special.

She's also tackles the psychological reasons behind people keeping things they don't need (guilt, lack of awareness, fear of lacking something, nostalgia) in a way that's simple but still effective.

As for 30 books - I would never have thought I would get rid of many books, but after reading her book I did pare my collection down to 30-50 books. (since everyone in the house has books, plus of course we have sifrei kodesh, that's still a few bookshelves worth). It turns out there's a difference between the number of books I want to read, or even reread, and the number I need my own paper copy of.

For the record, though, she doesn't say everyone must own no more than 30 books, that's just her recommended number (based on the model of a person who reads for fun/enrichment, not someone who needs reference books or religious texts at hand).

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:07 pm
ora_43 wrote:
she doesn't say everyone must own no more than 30 books, that's just her recommended number (based on the model of a person who reads for fun/enrichment, not someone who needs reference books or religious texts at hand).

This can be extrapolated to everything. One size never fits all. Two needles and a spool of invisible thread may be fine for someone whose sewing is limited to buttons, but obviously not for someone who really sews.One formal outfit is enough if you go to one wedding every three years, but not if you attend two a week. The idea is to use your seichel to tailor a method to your needs, not to slavishly follow the guru, whether you’re talking about home decor or anything else.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:03 am
I'm all in favor of other people throwing stuff out. I'm sure I'll find something useful in there.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 5:30 pm
Sounds like Flylady from like 10 years ago.

It's certainly not for everyone !

pause

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 6:28 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Sounds like Flylady from like 10 years ago.

It's certainly not for everyone !

My thoughts exactly. So this is the new "in" thing? Yay.
Declutter. Organize. Maintain. What's the chiddush here?

sunset

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:38 pm
She changed my life. And I don't consider myself a cluttery person. But I got rid of so much unnecessary clutter and clothes etc and esp with a big family it feels great! We recently moved into a big home and a friend said wow there's so much room for more storage shelves in the coat closet. I was thinking to myself I don't think we'll ever need all that storage space.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics