Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent - with hot dogs?
Previous  1  2  3

bonzie

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 5:26 pm
in seminary I was at a house for shabbas that put hot dogs in cholent because it was cheaper, and yet they were still have meat lkavod shabbas, but I didn't go anywhere near it

avigayil

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 5:32 pm
Dh likes hot dogs in cholent, I won't allow it in our house though. He has convinced the guy who makes the shul's cholent to put some in though!
Rolling Eyes

momof2

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 5:37 pm
I usually put cheek meat in my cholent. It is such soft meat and tasted really good. Its easy for the kids to eat!

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
the whole cholent thing is gross.

SMELLY
MESSY
NAUSCIOUS

the only reason people make it is to give them something to do the whole week, FIGURE OUT HOW TO CLEAN THE DAM THING!!!!!!!!!

Nauseous indeed - I stopped making cholent years ago cause the smell just kept me up all night and I couldn't enjoy my coffee in the morning.
When it came time to clean up I felt like it was dog food Puke

I'll admit I eat it on occassion but my sister made a cholent w/hot dogs and I vomitted all night and couldn't make my long distance drive back home. Puke

In a shul my kids sometimes go to they make cholent w/pupiks and everyone makes fun of it - but they eat it anyway. Puke

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:34 pm
I like hotdogs in cholent. I made cholent for the first time recently and I put in hotdogs (along with stew meat). . . I'm not a big cholent fan, so I enjoyed eating the hotdogs out of the cholent!

batya_d

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:36 pm
greenfire wrote:
[In a shul my kids sometimes go to they make cholent w/pupiks and everyone makes fun of it

With WHAT:?:

batya_d

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:37 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I like hotdogs in cholent. I made cholent for the first time recently and I put in hotdogs (along with stew meat). . . I'm not a big cholent fan, so I enjoyed eating the hotdogs out of the cholent!

Did you find that the stew meat got dried out? That's my problem. How did you keep it tender?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 9:43 pm
I h aven't made cholent for years, but my best cholent was with chicken. Not meat.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 10:58 pm
pupiks are gizzards - I think

batya_d

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 12:19 am
greenfire wrote:
pupiks are gizzards - I think

ew

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 8:30 am
batya_d wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

Did you find that the stew meat got dried out? That's my problem. How did you keep it tender?

The meat wasn't dry at all (it was tender, but not quite as tender as flanken). I completely cooked the cholent before shabbos, and kept it on warm during shabbos.

I never make cholent b/c I'm always so paranoid about the results, especially b/c I'm not such a cholent fan, but my first attempt was very good, between the three of us we completely finished the entire pot!

(Next time I'm just making the cholent with meat, beans, little bit of jachnun, and barley. The potatoes totally ruin it for me).

You know what I don't understand? How come so many people have such bland cholent? I've gone to so many places and they brag about how their hubbie is the spice "expert" and they spice the cholent before shabbos. And the cholent is still bland!!!!! How hard is it to spice cholent??????

(I used Ortega seasoning!)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:34 am
DD throws up from that seasoning, TMI!

And some people like gizzards - good for them, it's cheap!

pumpkinsbubby

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:14 pm
shoy18 wrote:
my halacha teacher in high school, puts marshmellows in his chulent!

I heard recently that marshmallows are made with some kind of fish ingredient. Is this true? If so, I guess it would be ok if there is no meat in the cholent.

I know this post is VERY old, but couldn't help looking back for some cholent ideas.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:20 pm
pumpkinsbubby wrote:
I heard recently that marshmallows are made with some kind of fish ingredient. Is this true? If so, I guess it would be ok if there is no meat in the cholent.

I know this post is VERY old, but couldn't help looking back for some cholent ideas.

The kosher heimish marshmallows are not made with fish gelatin.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The kosher heimish marshmallows are not made with fish gelatin.

Thanks for your response. I love marshmallows but have not bought them in a very long time because the thought of the "fish" ingredient was not very appealing Sad
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus