Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3 year old Evaluations in Lakewood???

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:06 pm
I’m a bit lost over here.
If I’d like to do an in-depth evaluation for my 3 year old - PT, OT, and speech. Where do I go for that?
Is there a place that does it all?
Should I focus on each area separately and go to whichever place I feel could target that area best?
Thanks!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:09 pm
Unless your child has a diagnosis of autism (which in that case there are many agencies that will provide ABA services+ depending on your insurance coverage) your options are either full evaluations through the board of Ed or whatever other/speech etc that your insurance will cover with whoever is in network. (If you are familiar with the way things work for services in NY for 3-5 year olds, that doesn't exist in NJ). Good luck

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:13 pm
So for now I’d pay out of pocket for a good Eval and then take it from there based on what shows up.
So is there a specific place that I could go to for that? Meaning for an Eval are there better and worse places?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 2:22 am
Dr. Koslowitz's center does a full-scale evaluation. It's not PT, OT, Speech so much as it's gross motor, fine motor, language, IQ, any autism indicators etc.

It's super thorough and she works with you until you fully understand everything you need to know about your child.

She evaluated my DS years ago and we still look back at our report to use the tips in there for how to parent him.

It's definitely a place to start.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 8:54 am
Call Theratots and speak to director. I and a friend have had a great experience with them and he is extremely knowledgeabale.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 9:26 am
The board of ed evals are very thorough and free. If your child is eligible, age 3-5 is served through a preschool program called LECC located at the corner of Linden and Somerset Ave. Many teachers and therapists as well as students are from the frum community. The director of the program is frum. You can get all info from the board of ed.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 9:30 am
I would just caution you about using ppl who are not certified or who have in some capacity worked with special children and now provide "evals." There are unscrupulous ppl out there unfortunately. Be sure to ask about their education, training, certification, and experience. Also ask if you receive a detailed report with scoring on how your child performed. If you won't get these things, and you have legitimate concerns (not that your kid isn't riding a two-wheel bike at 3 yrs old or painting a picasso) you should not use ppl that can't provide these things.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
The board of ed evals are very thorough and free. If your child is eligible, age 3-5 is served through a preschool program called LECC located at the corner of Linden and Somerset Ave. Many teachers and therapists as well as students are from the frum community. The director of the program is frum. You can get all info from the board of ed.

This. They provide the evaluation for free, and they are very thorough. Worst case scenario you can redo one part of the eval if you think they made a mistake, but it's definitely a good starting point. It's time consuming though, so if you want the eval done ASAP and you have the money then go private.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 9:48 am
Board of ed evals are to determine if a child is eligible for services. Issues that are not school based such as sensory issues are not accurately assessed which is a problem because many issues such as poor focusing and behavioral issues are really due to sensory. They do not (and shouldn't )give you a diagnosis. If I were you I would do it just to see if my child can get into a special preschool but in the meantime, pay privately. Chana Faigy Dinowitz is a speech therapist specializing in floortime who is a lovely person, very good at what she does and can guide you.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 10:07 am
oneofakind wrote:
Board of ed evals are to determine if a child is eligible for services. Issues that are not school based such as sensory issues are not accurately assessed which is a problem because many issues such as poor focusing and behavioral issues are really due to sensory. They do not (and shouldn't )give you a diagnosis. If I were you I would do it just to see if my child can get into a special preschool but in the meantime, pay privately. Chana Faigy Dinowitz is a speech therapist specializing in floortime who is a lovely person, very good at what she does and can guide you.

Sensory issues are just one piece of the puzzle. The board of ed should evaluate any issues of concern and then you can go further from there. I think that an OT from the board of ed could be helpful in determining if the child needs a more thorough sensory evaluation. Just keep in mind that sensory therapy is not covered by insurance AFAIK, so it's private in the true sense of the word.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 9:40 am
childrens specialized hospital in toms river evaluates for ot, pt, and speech and develpemental eval. you can go there if you have jersey care and not pay anything out of your pocket. they are very good.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 11:11 am
We recently did of, pt and speech evals by children's specialized. They were very thorough and good. We then did all the evaluations at BOE to get him into a program. They based most of their evaluation on the one's we had previously done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics