Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Were you on a cruise during yeshiva week? share story!
Previous  1  2

top mom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 4:08 am
amother wrote:
I was on a cruise! Royal Caribbean but not out of NYC. We didn’t have the special eggs or dining room but it was great because there were minyamin and we met new friends. It was our first time and we really enjoyed it.

To those complaining (on this thread and seemingly countless others) it’s all in your priorities and what you will sacrifice. I don’t have cleaning help, I buy second hand, work, and sale shop for groceries and we have meat only on Shabbos. When you do the same, you can take a cruise.

I think it's unfair to state something like this as a fact
You have your priorities, and you were willing to forgo of certain comforts in order to be able to afford a cruise, Good for you!
But- there are MANY amothers who live on a lower standard than you, with fewer daily comforts, who still can't even afford a far simpler vacation!
It's not always about priorities.
Sometimes it's about survival

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 4:09 am
Mayflower wrote:
My issue with taking a cruise is that it's about the worst thing one could do to the environment. The emissions are enormous and air quality on deck is heavily polluted. But hey, to each his own.

You should talk, Mayflower. Wink

Mayflower

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 4:14 am
amother wrote:
And planes for that many people would take far more fuel.

On average, cruise ships emit three times more carbon emissions than planes. The actual footprint per passenger/kilometer is about "36 times greater than the carbon footprint of a Eurostar passenger and more than three times that of someone travelling on a standard Boeing 747 or a passenger ferry." (according to this article). This is also caused by the fact that a lot of cruises still use heavy fuel oil (maybe not your line), although progress is being made in this department.

Quote:
It wasn’t our experience of poor deck air quality, and I have a DC with asthma.

Interesting. From what I read, short term exposure could cause increasing respiratory symptoms. I'm happy this wasn't your experience.

Mayflower

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 4:15 am
WhatFor wrote:
You should talk, Mayflower. Wink

I'm not sure what you're referring to?

EDIT: just googled, ha Smile I just like the flower.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 4:16 am
amother wrote:
So the cruise you the poster is talking about was a planned cruise from kosherica. I know they had one leaving Miami for Yeshiva week with Royal Caribbean. I actually took the kosherica cruise January 13th. This was one week later. To the widow that posted. We actually had 60 widows on the cruise. They all came for free through an organization (for widows Forgot the name) that paid for them. So never think it’s too far fetched.

Please realize you are responding to last years conversation

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 5:21 am
My friend was on a cruise this past week and it rained the whole time she said it was terrible she was so nauseas and shaky.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:31 am
if you want to talk about pollution make your own thread please
or about anything else other than ops post

(environmental impact makes me think about all those people who fly private jets to conferences about environmental impact)

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:23 pm
top mom wrote:
I think it's unfair to state something like this as a fact
You have your priorities, and you were willing to forgo of certain comforts in order to be able to afford a cruise, Good for you!
But- there are MANY amothers who live on a lower standard than you, with fewer daily comforts, who still can't even afford a far simpler vacation!
It's not always about priorities.
Sometimes it's about survival

I agree. We have been there. But that is not the context of this thread further up, which is what my response was based on. No one on this cruise thread was being insulted for not being able to buy milk or bread, so don't twist it into that.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
So the cruise you the poster is talking about was a planned cruise from kosherica. I know they had one leaving Miami for Yeshiva week with Royal Caribbean. I actually took the kosherica cruise January 13th. This was one week later. To the widow that posted. We actually had 60 widows on the cruise. They all came for free through an organization (for widows Forgot the name) that paid for them. So never think it’s too far fetched.

No, Kosherica has their own separate kosher kitchens, head mashgiach and at least 5 mashgichim. Fresh food is prepped separately for ashkenazim and sefardim.
I know because dh works in their kitchen.
But that widow's event sounds so nice. Pretty sure they weren't on this one though.

simba

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
No, Kosherica has their own separate kosher kitchens, head mashgiach and at least 5 mashgichim. Fresh food is prepped separately for ashkenazim and sefardim.
I know because dh works in their kitchen.
But that widow's event sounds so nice. Pretty sure they weren't on this one though.

The widows were on the Kosherica’s Jewish Music Festival cruise earlier this month.
It was paid for by an organization in Crown Heights run by Moshe Rubashkin.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 10:33 pm
chulentalakiddush wrote:
I didn't mean to offend.

I don't know anyone personally who went on this cruise and I was trying to crowd source with a wide and more diverse set of frum people to see if this actually happened or was an exaggeration.

And seriously folks, people can spend their money however they like. I feel like I have to say to you what I say to my own kids: we do what we do, and other people do what they do, and we make decisions based on what works for our family.

Yes, my coworker was on it.
They had buffet for brkfst lunch and dinner

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:

It was NOT a kosherica cruise.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
No, Kosherica has their own separate kosher kitchens

Are you sure about that? When we looked into Kosherica cruises and spoke to many people about how the kashrus works, we were given the distinct impression that the ship does NOT give them their own separate kosher kitchen, as they are only a small minority of the total number of passengers, and the ship cannot set aside a kitchen exclusively for them.

While they do have multiple mashgichim as you said, I believe they are operating within the confines of the ship's larger (non-kosher) kitchen, though I would love to be proven wrong.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics