Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What do you think of the Marie Kondo method (declutering)?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:56 pm
pause wrote:
My thoughts exactly. So this is the new "in" thing? Yay.
Declutter. Organize. Maintain. What's the chiddush here?

Different messengers can speak to different people. I didn’t like Flylady at all, the shining my sink thing just rubbed me up the wrong way. I used to get the emails but found them annoying and stress inducing. Yet for many, her method works.

The “Sparks Joy” thing doesn’t work for me so well either as I see clothes as just things that cover my body. However, I found the task of getting rid of clothes much easier the Marie Kondo way. I loathe folding yet see much merit in being able to see all things upright. I also love how she is with personal items - seeing her keep only one photo of her DC when she had several similar ones was an eye opener for me. I can actually throw away loads of photos!

But in essence, I agree with you, there is nothing so new under the sun here.

I do like how she helps people want to do the decluttering herself vs going in and doing it for them.

chicco

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 9:15 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/life.....will-—-and-it-was-filled-with-dollar6500-cash/ar-BBSRFlC

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:11 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Sounds like Flylady from like 10 years ago.

It's certainly not for everyone !

Hey, good to see you.
Flylady (and Sidetracked Home Executives, Flylady's inspiration) definitely tackle clutter. But while they discuss reducing clutter, they discuss dealing with it on an ongoing basis, and not as radically. (Marie Kondo says throw nearly all paper out. You can find every manual online.)
They also deal extensively with routines for cleaning, which isn't part of Marie Kondo afaIk.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:16 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Hey, good to see you.
Flylady (and Sidetracked Home Executives, Flylady's inspiration) definitely tackle clutter. But while they discuss reducing clutter, they discuss dealing with it on an ongoing basis, and not as radically. (Marie Kondo says throw nearly all paper out. You can find every manual online.)
They also deal extensively with routines for cleaning, which isn't part of Marie Kondo afaIk.

Also, MK definitely enables individuals to see what they are emotionally clinging to which is different for each person. Also, she never said you must only keep 30 books: she made a suggestion in one episode of around that for one individual. However, what is key is whether you actually read and reread the books vs having it on the shelf because you think you should have them on display or should read them.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:25 am
I don't really see the chiddush either. Yes, it's a good idea to get rid of stuff that is of no use or sentimental value. Yay. Now how do I find the time and motivation to do that? Not to mention, actually purging involves quite a bit of logistics. I can go through my closet right now and fill a few bags with clothes to give away fairly quickly and easily. The part that's difficult, time consuming, and anxiety inducing (at least for me) is now actually getting rid of those bags. I either have to find a drop off location and drive there, find a charity that picks things up and schedule the pickup (which is never the next day, the bags usually then need to sit around for another week or two until the designated day) plus I need to make sure they're packaged properly according to whatever rules the pick up people have, and remember to put the stuff out on the right day. If I'm throwing stuff out, I need to call sanitation and schedule a special pick up and also make sure it's packaged properly and put in the right spot etc. Half the time it's just easier to hold onto the junk than to jump through the hoops of actually getting rid of it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics