Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Wedding gift for sibling?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:56 pm
Obviously there is going to be a big range of how much you gave/ spent.... but I only have one sibling and he's finally getting married and I want to give generously but not insanely.... so trying to get an idea of what others have done....

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:58 pm
In my circles, you chip in for a nice engagement present and then for a sheva brochos. I think a wedding gift besides that is optional.

agreer

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 6:01 pm
Get him something really nice for his home. I wouldn't necessarily do cash - I think it's tacky, but to each her own.

I would think a $500 gift for your one and only sibling would be okay, if you can afford it. If not, don't think twice and just get something you can. (If someone had many siblings, I'd suggest a smaller amount.)

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 6:08 pm
agreer wrote:
Get him something really nice for his home. I wouldn't necessarily do cash - I think it's tacky, but to each her own.

I would think a $500 gift for your one and only sibling would be okay, if you can afford it. If not, don't think twice and just get something you can. (If someone had many siblings, I'd suggest a smaller amount.)

I agree with this. Doesn't have to be $500 of course...whatever you can afford.

Something like a bosch mixer if your new sil likes baking would be a great gift. Or other good quality kitchenware, (coffee machine?) or good towels, or artwork.

If your husband has siblings will you feel awkward giving them less?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Obviously there is going to be a big range of how much you gave/ spent.... but I only have one sibling and he's finally getting married and I want to give generously but not insanely.... so trying to get an idea of what others have done....

No gift. We spent time together as 'siblings without spouses'.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 6:56 pm
I've done differently for different siblings. I don't remember if I got anything for my sister. I gave one of my brothers a bathroom/Vanity set with matching shower curtain, waste basket , soap dish, tooth brush holder, tissue box cover etc. I found out what the colors of their bathroom first and then found one to coordinate. I also made sure to check with my brothers kallah to see if it's something she was interested in. I helped her clean and set up her apartment and presented it to her then.

My other brother had a vort where we chipped in for a piece of silver amongst the siblings and then later I gifted her a set of dishes that was on her gift registry , for her bridal shower.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:01 pm
Raisin wrote:
I agree with this. Doesn't have to be $500 of course...whatever you can afford.

Something like a bosch mixer if your new sil likes baking would be a great gift. Or other good quality kitchenware, (coffee machine?) or good towels, or artwork.

If your husband has siblings will you feel awkward giving them less?

When we got married two siblings of his were already married and the other two got married within 2 years. We were young and had nothing, so gifts were small. Now, more than 20 years later, we can afford to be generous.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:04 pm
agreer wrote:

I tend to agree, but they are older, already have what they need to set up house, and on the invitation specifically asked for "no boxed gifts." I guess that means "give us cash and gift certificates, please."?

simba

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
I tend to agree, but they are older, already have what they need to set up house, and on the invitation specifically asked for "no boxed gifts." I guess that means "give us cash and gift certificates, please."?

Well then what is your question? If you can’t but there a gift give a generous (as much as you feel like) check. Let them spend the money how they like.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:

Did they register somewhere?

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:45 pm
When my sister got married, my brothers and I got one of those glasses to break under the chuppah that you then send them pieces to get set in glass or lucite ... My brother too care of the details, so I don't recall the details. But I think it was about 80 bucks split 4 ways. Just to give an idea of the cost. If you see interested I could ask for the details.. Or search, something like 'Jewish wedding glass keepsake"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics