Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Food prep
1  2  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:38 pm
What can I prepare ahead for a few days that my husband can just put in the oven for an hour or so for dinner? (Like recipes that I can par bake or the like)

I was thinking maybe oven pepper steak? Has anyone tried it? Like bake the first hour, refrigerate and have him bake for another hour?

I have to be away but feel bad leaving him with no dinner. He doesn’t love reheated food and it’s a shame because I have nothing ready so don’t want to make it just to serve as leftovers.

Anything with Chicken breast?

I can also have him stick in fingerling potatoes to roast as a side since they require no prep.

Would appreciate any ideas:)

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:48 pm
Seriously anything can be frozen raw and you cant tell a difference ! I basically tried it all!
marinate chicken cutlets can be frozen
chicken with sauce
eggplant parmesan
lasagna
breaded shnitzel
honey mustard chicken nuggets
rice
orzo

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
Seriously anything can be frozen raw and you cant tell a difference ! I basically tried it all!
marinate chicken cutlets can be frozen
chicken with sauce
eggplant parmesan
lasagna
breaded shnitzel
honey mustard chicken nuggets
rice
orzo

How do u freeze raw rice and orzo?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
What can I prepare ahead for a few days that my husband can just put in the oven for an hour or so for dinner? (Like recipes that I can par bake or the like)

I was thinking maybe oven pepper steak? Has anyone tried it? Like bake the first hour, refrigerate and have him bake for another hour?

I have to be away but feel bad leaving him with no dinner. He doesn’t love reheated food and it’s a shame because I have nothing ready so don’t want to make it just to serve as leftovers.

Anything with Chicken breast?

I can also have him stick in fingerling potatoes to roast as a side since they require no prep.

Would appreciate any ideas:)

Meatballs, meatloaf...chicken doesn’t taste great when cooked in advance and reheated days later....

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:21 pm
chicken thighs with bone can be seasoned in pan and your husband can place in the oven an hour or so before he wants to eat. You can put veggies and potatoes in same pan. The chicken should not be in the firidge for more then a day or two so freeze - but that probably means he won't end up cooking it.

Meat roast that is cooked for a long time (eg chuck) actually tastes better the next day so you could make a small roast, slice up, and he can reheat in the liquid. Whenever I make roast for yom tov I do it the day before.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:26 pm
Raisin wrote:
chicken thighs with bone can be seasoned in pan and your husband can place in the oven an hour or so before he wants to eat. You can put veggies and potatoes in same pan. The chicken should not be in the firidge for more then a day or two so freeze - but that probably means he won't end up cooking it.

Meat roast that is cooked for a long time (eg chuck) actually tastes better the next day so you could make a small roast, slice up, and he can reheat in the liquid. Whenever I make roast for yom tov I do it the day before.

I usually make chicken tighs with rice and water in the oven. Seemed a drop complicated to do in advance.

How would I prep it with potatoes? Can I slice the potatoes before? Would it need water?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 2:15 pm
Put up a meal like beef stew in the crockpot the morning you leave and fresh supper will be ready later that evening.

Cook pasta, rinse and drain. Layer in a baking pan with sauce, cheeses, and spinach if desired. Cover and write instructions for baking on the foil.

Cook (dark turkey) meatballs and store in airtight container in the fridge. Rewarms without a leftover taste. Cook spaghetti, rinse & drain, coat in a drop of oil and place in Ziploc bag, squeezing out all air before sealing. Spaghetti can be rewarmed in microwave for 2 minutes until steaming or transfer to colander in the sink and pour an urn of boiling water over it to refresh.

Make poached, marinated or pickled salmon that lasts quite a few days in the fridge. Leave instructions for roasting a frozen bag of sweet potato fries and broccoli.

Cook, cool and slice pastrami or corned beef roast. Store slices in a baking pan with the cooking liquid and write instructions for reheating in the oven until steaming hot. Keep a container of potato salad and cole slaw in the fridge as they both last a few days.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 2:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Put up a meal like beef stew in the crockpot the morning you leave and fresh supper will be ready later that evening.

Cook pasta, rinse and drain. Layer in a baking pan with sauce, cheeses, and spinach if desired. Cover and write instructions for baking on the foil.

Cook (dark turkey) meatballs and store in airtight container in the fridge. Rewarms without a leftover taste. Cook spaghetti, rinse & drain, coat in a drop of oil and place in Ziploc bag, squeezing out all air before sealing. Spaghetti can be rewarmed in microwave for 2 minutes until steaming or transfer to colander in the sink and pour an urn of boiling water over it to refresh.

Cook, cool and slice pastrami or corned beef roast. Store slices in a baking pan with the cooking liquid and write instructions for reheating in the oven until steaming hot. Keep a container of potato salad and cole slaw in the fridge as they both last a few days.

Gonna be away for a few days so can’t do crockpot meals. Will def do the pasta thanks for the clear instructions. He’s not a fan of pastrami roast and I don’t really feel like making meatballs, the easier the better- I’m also expecting Bh and can’t really handle lots of different raw ingredients.

I think I’ll also prepare a few slices of salmon for him to make fresh cuz that’s quick. And maybe linguine salad with the pasta.

How bad will boiled potatoes taste from the fridge?
Or can I put them in the pan with pepper steak, veggies and sauce to bake for two hours? Will they be mushy or taste decent?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 2:36 pm
Just saw ur answer on another thread! Thank you:)

Thank you everyone for your help!

I am not great in the kitchen and not into cooking but I’ve been away for 2/3 days a few times and I feel bad for my husband to come home from work to no warm food. Shabbos leftovers are the best but if we’re away from Shabbos it’s harder to come up with stuff to make...

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 2:46 pm
Best is fully cooked frozen meals. He takes out in morn to defrost. & reheats in oven or on hot plate after work.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 2:56 pm
Things that freeze well are:
Soups
Compote
Meat/chicken with gravy
You can clean & season chicken bottoms & freeze raw.
You can bread cutlets, freeze raw layered with parchment paper in between & he just fries once it's defrosted.
Cooked Rice/orzo freeze well when mixed with something lke veggies
Cookef Farfel freezes well.
Pasta freezes well when mixed with something. Baked ziti. Lomein with veggies. With sauteed cabbage or with bread crumbs.
Anything in a dough you can prepare in raw dough & just bake for 20 min if turnovers longer 45-1hr if knish style. Like potato knishes, apple turnovers, deli roll, apple strudel. Veg turnovers.
Same iyh eggrolls wrap in dough & he should just fry

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
I usually make chicken tighs with rice and water in the oven. Seemed a drop complicated to do in advance.

How would I prep it with potatoes? Can I slice the potatoes before? Would it need water?

Hmm I guess the raw potatoes will go brown. So just do the chicken. Make a tray of orzo or rice he can reheat. Or he can make salad and eat bread if still hungry.

You could also cook baby potatoes and tell him to add to pan halfway through cooking.

Re pasta in fridge - it goes slimy after 3 days or so.

Bolognese/meat sauce is a great easy dish to reheat. No meatballs need to be made.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:06 pm
Soups and stews taste better on the second or third day.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:57 pm
Ooh meat sauce! Adding that to my list. Thank you so much people:)

Also going to get the frozen trader joe rice for him.

He’s not lazy and often cooks for me when we are both home- but if it’s just him I know he won’t bother with pots and trying to think of what to make. I’ll feel good leaving him a list of easy options.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:00 pm
Ooh meat sauce! Adding that to my list. Thank you so much people:)

Also going to get the frozen trader joe rice for him.

He’s not lazy and often cooks for me when we are both home- but if it’s just him I know he won’t bother with pots and trying to think of what to make. I’ll feel good leaving him a list of easy options.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:40 pm
I found that even if I prepare ready frozen foods for my hub when I'm away....he's most of time not in the mood of thinking what to eat, defrosting, rewarming. He rather just eat a plate of cereal & milk. Or buy a quick thing. Only when it was yom tov....when I had a baby & was away did he warm up the food for meal.

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 2:02 am
I agree with dankbar. My husband won't go near the freezer...Maybe leave him things that are easy to cook for one person? eg rib steak, sausages (not hot dogs unless he likes them, the more fancy sausages), salmon, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, frozen breaded fish, vegetarian burgers/schnitzles. All these things can be easily cooked in under 20 minutes in oven or 10 minutes in a George foreman grill or frying pan. Leave easy to prep veggies as well like bagged salad.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 2:50 am
It's time for time to learn how to unfreeze stuff, if not do something easy. Or buy ready made

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 2:59 am
I just want to say that you sound like such a lovely, caring wife! Your husband is lucky to have you. I'm also really happy to hear that he does some of the cooking too. I think it's an important life skill for everyone.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 7:14 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I just want to say that you sound like such a lovely, caring wife! Your husband is lucky to have you. I'm also really happy to hear that he does some of the cooking too. I think it's an important life skill for everyone.

Ya thank you! ppl here have a bias- let him learn etc. Bh totally not the problem here. If I never wanted to cook he would find a way to do it all! His dad is the sole financial provider and still cooks almost everything/does the laundry and tons of taking care of the teenagers. Not a setup I want to follow because my husband was always sad his mom didn’t do more. But he has no demands on me whatsoever Bh! When he was working shorter hours I would defrost stuff to grill or stir fry and he would cook it for both of us:) and he does the whites cuz I hate having to worry they will wrinkle:)

His schedule now is so tight that he can’t afford the hour to cook/ eat and clean up and he doesn’t have much headspace for it. If left to his own devices he would just not eat dinner. He does wake up early to pack lunch salads for himself unless I surprise him and prep a bunch of containers ahead.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics