Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Messed up with cholent. Now I'll need to reheat it for lunch

Petra

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:48 pm
I was prepping cholent tonight so that I can put it on right before Shabbos and have it ready by Saturday lunch (in crock pot).

Well, without thinking, I browned the meat (which I don't usually do if using a crock pot). So, I feel like I have to cook it now because I don't want bacteria to grow with the partially warmed meat. Tomorrow morning it will be done and then I'll have figure out what to do with it.

I will have to remove the liquid from it and then cool and refrigerate it and reheat it Saturday on the blech or possibly back in the crock pot. It will be so dry! I don't think I could switch it to warm tomorrow morning and leave it on all day until Saturday lunch.

Any tips or advice?

hello 1

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 10:55 pm
Sure you can.
On these short Fridays I put up my cholent Thursday night (my boys like it for lunch Friday) and it cooks on low until the shabbos seudah.
I check to make sure that there is enough water covering before shabbos. Not over covering it, because then will be too watery.

Petra

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:59 pm
hello 1 wrote:
Sure you can.
On these short Fridays I put up my cholent Thursday night (my boys like it for lunch Friday) and it cooks on low until the shabbos seudah.
I check to make sure that there is enough water covering before shabbos. Not over covering it, because then will be too watery.

Really? I don't think I've ever made a cholent that was on for more than 24 hours. If I leave it on until Shabbos seudah, that would be 40 hours. I guess I would switch it to Warm mode before Shabbos.

boysrus

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:01 am
Petra wrote:
Really? I don't think I've ever made a cholent that was on for more than 24 hours. If I leave it on until Shabbos seudah, that would be 40 hours. I guess I would switch it to Warm mode before Shabbos.

Dont put it on keep warm mode for more than 1 or 2 hours! According to my slowcooker manual, its not safe to do that, because the food temperature is not hot enough. Your food will go rancid and unhealthy!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:03 am
Just let the meat cool on its own and refrigerate it separately. You can still assemble it and put it up to cook tomorrow. It's just meat, which can be eaten rare.

Petra

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:27 am
ra_mom wrote:
Just let the meat cool on its own and refrigerate it separately. You can still assemble it and put it up to cook tomorrow. It's just meat, which can be eaten rare.

Too late. It's all cooking now.

dankbar

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 1:38 am
If it's fully cooked now you can place in fridge & just put it into your crockpot right before shabbos.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 4:46 am
People cook it on medium Thursday night and serve shabbos lunch

You will probably have to add more water

If you end up adding more water, you might need some more salt and spices right before shabbos- taste it and decide

Btw- I sautéed onions/garlic and meat on Thursday afternoon
After it cooled I put it in chulent pot. I added cold water,other chulent ingredients, spices... and it’s in the fridge overnight. I will plug it in in the morning

abound

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 5:29 am
boysrus wrote:
Dont put it on keep warm mode for more than 1 or 2 hours! According to my slowcooker manual, its not safe to do that, because the food temperature is not hot enough. Your food will go rancid and unhealthy!

You dont put it on low before shabbos? How does that work? I once left it on high by mistake and my cholent burnt.

essie14

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 6:00 am
abound wrote:
You dont put it on low before shabbos? How does that work? I once left it on high by mistake and my cholent burnt.

Warm and low are not the same thing.
Low is still cooking the food.
Warm is just to keep warm from when you finish cooking until you want to serve; meant for an hour or two.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus