Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Iso dressing for cabbage salad without sugar or oil

blueberrypie

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 6:36 am
I like to make a cabbage salad for Shabbos with mango and toasted almonds but the only dressing recipes I have are vinegar-sugar-mayo and oil-sugar-rice vinegar-soy sauce. I would appreciate any ideas that don't involve sugar (and not fake sugar!) And don't involve oil, or at least very minimal sugar or oil, TIA!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 6:46 am
Can you use honey or agave nectar, or are you trying to avoid all forms of sweet tasting things? Fruit purees can make a creamy, sweet dressing, and you can temper the sweetness with a dash of vinegar or lemon juice. This is especially refreshing in the summer.

Pureed avocado is an excellent substitute for both oil and mayo. Add some dill and some lemon, and a bit of water if you need to thin it to the right consistency.

I know you said to avoid oil, but a tiny dash of toasted sesame oil goes a long way for adding flavor, and you need to use barely a teaspoon for a big bowl of cabbage.

Shredded carrots or coconut add a lot of natural sweetness, especially if you make the salad a day ahead. Dried fruit are a nice addition too. Craisins go really well with almonds or pecans in a cabbage salad.

blueberrypie

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 10:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Can you use honey or agave nectar, or are you trying to avoid all forms of sweet tasting things? Fruit purees can make a creamy, sweet dressing, and you can temper the sweetness with a dash of vinegar or lemon juice. This is especially refreshing in the summer.

Pureed avocado is an excellent substitute for both oil and mayo. Add some dill and some lemon, and a bit of water if you need to thin it to the right consistency.

I know you said to avoid oil, but a tiny dash of toasted sesame oil goes a long way for adding flavor, and you need to use barely a teaspoon for a big bowl of cabbage.

Shredded carrots or coconut add a lot of natural sweetness, especially if you make the salad a day ahead. Dried fruit are a nice addition too. Craisins go really well with almonds or pecans in a cabbage salad.

Thank you for a ton of information! I'm trying to avoid fat (even good avocado fat-although I do put some slivered almonds in the salad because they're so good toasted!), but I would use a little oil. I'm also trying to avoid sugar even in the form of honey, maple syrup and dried fruit. I would use sweet fresh fruit though, that's partly why I added mangoes to the salad, so that I can use less sugar in the dressing. Using fruit puree is an interesting idea, I would love a dressing recipe with fruit instead of sugar if you have! Any specific recipes would be very much appreciated!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics