Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My daughter didn’t get into camp
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
The problem is, I don't think most camps would give a whole lot of information in advance.

Best to find out from people who have gone to that camp, or prior mother's helpers. The girls might know which mother's helpers were happy with their job and had time for fun, and which didn't.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 11:09 am
IME...
Potential mother's helpers should contact the staff member they want to work for directly. Apply through the camp to reserve a mother's helper slot so you ensure the discount but don't wait for them to assign you a family! Staff members like to meet potential helpers before the summer and lock in their choices before camp. Do research first from other campers or past mothers helpers to find out which staff members are fair and don't overload the helper. Potential mother's helpers should call the mother and offer to meet her months before so she can decide if she wants her to work for her in camp. Also, this gives the mother's helper the opportunity to find out exactly what the mom expects and the hours she'll be working so there are no surprises later. Don't wait until camp starts and your DD is assigned the family that's left over because their kids are hard, mom is disorganized , or nobody wanted the job because the workload is too heavy.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 4:11 pm
dont send your kid to camp to be a slave ...oops...I mean mother's helper...

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Feb 02 2019, 7:28 pm
octopus wrote:

There’s no need to make people who do this feel bad.

I sent my daughter as a mother’s helper one summer when I couldn’t afford to send her as a camper, and the only alternative was working-or as you would call it, being enslaved-in a day camp for peanuts.

It was a very positive experience and she was not overworked at all. The camp was very considerate-she never worked for more than a few hours a day, and they made sure she was able to participate in all the trips.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Feb 02 2019, 7:59 pm
I am so sorry -- its painful to even read the thread title
I hope you find an even better option or she somehow gets in

I would see if she can team up with a friend and try a different camp
hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Feb 02 2019, 8:35 pm
I just saw a new camp advertised, I forgot what it’s called but it’s the same grounds as maarava, but first half. There is a discount if you sign up before a certain date.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Feb 02 2019, 8:39 pm
octopus wrote:

Both of my sisters went to camp for multiple years as mothers helpers (for the same family) and both loved it.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Feb 02 2019, 9:02 pm
octopus wrote:

Camps usually have a maximum number of hours a girl can work. For some families there is no way they can afford camp otherwise.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics