Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shabbos Toothbrush

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:28 am
Is one allowed to use water or mouthwash with the toothbrush? Or, does it need to be completely dry?

SesameSeeds

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:37 am
You can use water. Its silicone and therefore doesnt absorb any water.... Confirm with your LOR.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:49 am
In Israel they sell "Shabbos toothpaste" which is basically mouthwash in a squirt bottle, so I would assume it's OK.

Use a child's extra soft toothbrush, because there is a halachic concern about doing anything that could draw blood - especially if you know that your gums might be prone to bleeding.

aliavi

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 12:00 pm
Like FF mentioned, gums can bleed, so you cannot use a dry toothbrush. See R’ Simcha Bunim Cohen’s books for further details and sources.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 12:26 pm
I think there is also something about setting aside the toothbrush special for shabbos. Meaning you don't also use it during the week.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 12:29 pm
I grew up not brushing but now I just do

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 12:40 pm
op here: just to clarify. I was referring to the special silicone shabbos toothbrush and yes I am using it only for Shabbos. I was just unsure if it needs to be used when dry or if I'm allowed to squirt some mouthwash on it and brush that way.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 1:46 pm
I use a regular one that doesn't make me bleed, with normal paste

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
op here: just to clarify. I was referring to the special silicone shabbos toothbrush and yes I am using it only for Shabbos. I was just unsure if it needs to be used when dry or if I'm allowed to squirt some mouthwash on it and brush that way.

Ask whichever posek told you to use the silicone in the first place. There are various opinions, and many are not relevant to you. Although tbh I've never heard of an issue using mouthwash on it, but who knows.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 4:38 pm
You can use a regular dry toothbrush.

Rinse your mouth with mouthwash.
Brush with dry toothbrush.
Rinse mouth with mouthwash again.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:

You can make the silicone one wet. Not a regular one.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:53 am
amother wrote:
Is one allowed to use water or mouthwash with the toothbrush? Or, does it need to be completely dry?

Opinions vary. so the way to get the answer that's appropriate for you is to ask your own rabbi.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 12:19 pm
I did Invisalyn so I had to find out what was allowed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions