Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why do kids need such a long summer vacation?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:11 am
I wish my kids had a shorter school day all year and fewer weeks of summer vacation to make up the difference. As it is now (at least where I live), they're in school 7.5 hours a day, and have 10 weeks off in the summer. I wish they had a 5 hour school day instead, and 5 weeks off in the summer. Ok, I haven't calculated the hours, but you get the idea. It can be adjusted accordingly. When both parents work you have no choice but to find arrangements all summer, and it gets extremely expensive.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:14 am
My kids need a break from the pressures of school. The break doesn't have to come from summer vacation though.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:17 am
ra_mom wrote:
My kids need a break from the pressures of school. The break doesn't have to come from summer vacation though.
This, 10000%. a few more short breaks throughout the year would be so much better than one crazy long break.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:19 am
My kids have about 8 weeks which is perfect imo. That gives a few weeks for overnight or day camps (2-3 weeks) 2 weeks to go away as a family and a few weeks just to chill at home. I don't work outside the house so I don't mind having them at home. I also run a 2 week day camp myself.

They also have 2 weeks off for the winter, 2 weeks at pesach and yomim tovim days. Non Jewish schools who don't have off for yom tov also have a mid term break each school term but because of yom tov we don't really get much of that - this term we have a 3 day mid term break.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:25 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This, 10000%. a few more short breaks throughout the year would be so much better than one crazy long break.

That's even hard for working parents to deal with. At least during summer there's generally some sort of infrastructure, because everyone is on break. If there are breaks throughout the year, schools wouldn't necessarily coordinate, and it would be a crazy scramble for child care each time.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
That's even hard for working parents to deal with. At least during summer there's generally some sort of infrastructure, because everyone is on break. If there are breaks throughout the year, schools wouldn't necessarily coordinate, and it would be a crazy scramble for child care each time.

Where I live schools do coordinate mostly. There are day camps during the shorter breaks too.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
Where I live schools do coordinate mostly. There are day camps during the shorter breaks too.

You're lucky! Even though there's some coordination where I live, there's nothing in place for Chanukah or winter break. It's just expected that parents take off work or figure out a private arrangement.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:24 am
Holiday school is great. There was for a few years, it was just the morning (kodesh)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 11:59 am
I'm wondering if all mother's here have in mind what's good for their children, or thinking what's good for mom.

I was a kid who tried very, very hard during school year and was a good but not top student. As per my nature, I so badly needed to be top. Summer vacation was bliss for me. I always attended the local daycamp where I (finally) was top, top. I was super cooperative, super in sports, basically the counselors dream.

If you were to make my summer vacation shorter, it would "kill" me. I'd lose my "oxygen".

I suspect many children are like that. I am very happy how things are now for my kids. Let them have fun. Life later as an adult is hard as it is. I want my kids to have plenty of healthy enjoyment as they grow up.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
I'm wondering if all mother's here have in mind what's good for their children, or thinking what's good for mom.

I was a kid who tried very, very hard during school year and was a good but not top student. As per my nature, I so badly needed to be top. Summer vacation was bliss for me. I always attended the local daycamp where I (finally) was top, top. I was super cooperative, super in sports, basically the counselors dream.

If you were to make my summer vacation shorter, it would "kill" me. I'd lose my "oxygen".

I suspect many children are like that. I am very happy how things are now for my kids. Let them have fun. Life later as an adult is hard as it is. I want my kids to have plenty of healthy enjoyment as they grow up.

I am definitely having my kids best interests in mind. I think having such a long school day every day is really the biggest school related problem they deal with.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:

Many kids have to be sent as opposed to wanting to go. Some prefer school. Many prefer home (not "camp mommy" which is not a thing by me).

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 1:36 pm
I’m wondering if there is a small shift in Lakewood schools. Some girl schools added 1 1/2 weeks the calendar so they end the end of June and camp this year is starting the beginning of July.
Not all schools are. Some are still ending mid June.
I think it’s also supposed to help parents financially who pay for both school and camp in June.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 1:58 pm
In my country they have from mid June to mid September free. The local government provide day camp not so expensive for the first 4 weeks. I like it, my kids work very hard in school and they benefit from long vacation and free time.
Also I work in school so basically I have more or less the same free time. Before you say anything, I chose my job carefully to be free when they are free. I could have earned more, but DH and I decided together.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 2:25 pm
Love my boys cheder! School through the whole summer. Limudei kodesh only in the morning, activities and small trips in the afternoons. It's amazing and costs the same as day camp basically

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 2:26 pm
The schools/cheders definitely benefit. They charge for 12 mos tuition but give you only 10 mos of schooling. Daycamp in summer run by same school charge you separately. Teachers get paid only for 10 mos while they work not when theyre off

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 2:49 pm
I like the break, but maybe that’s cuz I’m off in the summer. My kids all get home around 5:00 during the school year, and they have homework and tests, etc. lots of pressure.
I really enjoy the summer, as do my kids. Hey get home from camp also around 5:00, but then they’re free until bedtime, minus dinner/bath/whatever. Also, we take afvantage of the time after camp and before school to do a road trip, seeing things and places that my kids wouldn’t otherwise see.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:

I have my child's good in mind. My child does not like such a long vacation. So yes, maybe a month, but 8 weeks? Its too long.
And yes, there are kids out there that do not want or like such long vacation times.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 3:03 pm
I like the long vacation in the summer.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 3:10 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I like the break, but maybe that’s cuz I’m off in the summer. My kids all get home around 5:00 during the school year, and they have homework and tests, etc. lots of pressure.
I really enjoy the summer, as do my kids. Hey get home from camp also around 5:00, but then they’re free until bedtime, minus dinner/bath/whatever. Also, we take afvantage of the time after camp and before school to do a road trip, seeing things and places that my kids wouldn’t otherwise see.
Fine, so if you have off in the summer as well, then of course its different. Im sure most teachers (and probably SAHM as well) dont mind, if in fact, enjoy, the summer vacation. But for those who have to find things for their kids to do because they work and can not take off, its hard, for both the parents and the kids. Not all kids like the lack of structure all summer long.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 3:12 pm
My kids & I live for the summer, seriously.

I’d first make school shorter, add in creative subjects like art/music/cooking, take out homework... I think all that is way worse for the kids. If school were shorter & more flexible, truly giving each kid a chance to shine, THEN I’d consider giving up some of the summer break...

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics