Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why do kids need such a long summer vacation?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 3:17 pm
BKIND wrote:
My kids & I live for the summer, seriously.

I’d first make school shorter, add in creative subjects like art/music/cooking, take out homework... I think all that is way worse for the kids. If school were shorter & more flexible, truly giving each kid a chance to shine, THEN I’d consider giving up some of the summer break...
when you say shorter, do you mean the day? my daughter gets out of school by 2:30 every day, and friday is earlier. They learn 6 days a week here in her school in israel.
I dont think that has any connection to how much summer vacation they have.

moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 3:26 pm
Shabbat, I agree with you. I've always thought the summer break was way too long. For a month or so it's great, but then... Too much of a good thing, you know? Id vote for a month off in summer and a few 2- week breaks throughout the year.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 3:31 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
when you say shorter, do you mean the day? my daughter gets out of school by 2:30 every day, and friday is earlier. They learn 6 days a week here in her school in israel.
I dont think that has any connection to how much summer vacation they have.

Israel is a whole diff ball game. Here my kids end 4 or later, plus transportation. They get home between 4:30-5, then have homework as well. Their schools do not include art/music/sports or anything like that, & they get home too late to pursue talents or hobbies or even just chill. The girls do have Sundays off at least, but boys have half a day then too.

If my kids ended 2:30, & didn’t have tons of homework I prob wouldn’t feel they need the break as desperately.

Also it sounds like in Israel camps aren’t as many weeks /or as easy to come by as in the US. Summer break here is usually 10 weeks. My kids b”h have amazing camps for 6 weeks. About a week vacation b4 camp, and about 3 weeks after. The 3 weeks after can be a little challenging, but I wouldn’t want to give it up.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:12 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im not saying they dont need a vacation from school. They do. For sure, no denying that. But two months or more? Its just too much in my opinion.
Who else agrees?

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I love when my kids are home, I believe they have too MUCH school, not enough down time/family time, and I believe with their school workload they more than deserve their much needed vacation and break time.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
I'm wondering if all mother's here have in mind what's good for their children, or thinking what's good for mom.

I was a kid who tried very, very hard during school year and was a good but not top student. As per my nature, I so badly needed to be top. Summer vacation was bliss for me. I always attended the local daycamp where I (finally) was top, top. I was super cooperative, super in sports, basically the counselors dream.

If you were to make my summer vacation shorter, it would "kill" me. I'd lose my "oxygen".

I suspect many children are like that. I am very happy how things are now for my kids. Let them have fun. Life later as an adult is hard as it is. I want my kids to have plenty of healthy enjoyment as they grow up.

Totally agree!

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:19 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I have my child's good in mind. My child does not like such a long vacation. So yes, maybe a month, but 8 weeks? Its too long.
And yes, there are kids out there that do not want or like such long vacation times.

I’d be curious how many kids would rather be in school than have vacation time... LOL

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:20 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Fine, so if you have off in the summer as well, then of course its different. Im sure most teachers (and probably SAHM as well) dont mind, if in fact, enjoy, the summer vacation. But for those who have to find things for their kids to do because they work and can not take off, its hard, for both the parents and the kids. Not all kids like the lack of structure all summer long.

I believe you’re projecting your views onto kids, which may not in fact reflect reality at all...

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:24 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I love when my kids are home, I believe they have too MUCH school, not enough down time/family time, and I believe with their school workload they more than deserve their much needed vacation and break time.
As Imentioned above, I dont mind my child home. Thats not it at all. My child says that she doesnt like so much unstructured time. Summer vacation is hard with two working parents having to find things for their children to do.
I understand if parents who are at home, or teachers so they are also home, enjoy the summer break.
I personally work from home, so my child can be home with friends, but she herself loved having about 2 1/2 weeks of break and then she wants to get back to her "regularly scheduled program". And I dont disagree. Fine, maybe a month is perfect, but more than that? Completely too much I believe.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:27 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I believe you’re projecting your views onto kids, which may not in fact reflect reality at all...
Not at all. I never tell her my opinion on things like this. I need her to come to her own conclusions. She has always been one t hat needs complete structure in her day. Thats just how she is. So with no summer camp (very hard to find and very expensive, here in israel) its a lot of hanging around and she likes that for a time, but after that, she gets very restless.
When I havent worked in the summer, I love doing things with my daughter. Its building memories.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:36 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not at all. I never tell her my opinion on things like this. I need her to come to her own conclusions. She has always been one t hat needs complete structure in her day. Thats just how she is. So with no summer camp (very hard to find and very expensive, here in israel) its a lot of hanging around and she likes that for a time, but after that, she gets very restless.
When I havent worked in the summer, I love doing things with my daughter. Its building memories.

Totally hear her, with no camp, and working parents that really can get boring. So what do other israeli families do?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:
Move to the U.K. We have 5.5-6 weeks summer holiday.

Day school in Manchester? If only visas weren’t such a problem.....

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:03 pm
I'm in lkwd. My girls are little but they are off 10 weeks . I end up enrolling them in extended day camps and it's all the same to me . School and camp, end the same time . Similar enough in price (day camp slightly more expensive thou)

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 8:08 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I’m sure that’s how your child feels, but it seemed you were saying that you believe that holds true for most other children’s feelings as well, which I seriously doubt.

lucky14

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 8:08 pm
I remember loving summer vacation. I wished it was longer. I was not a school person and really needed the time "off". My school-age self is very angry at your question :-p May be inconvenient for the parents but I don't think it harmed me or my friends for having 2 months of vacation. Have children changed since back in those days? My question is why is school so stressful? Why such long days with so much homework afterwards?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 8:24 pm
Growing up in the UK I remember being jealous of the Americans who had such a long vacation. Now living as a parent (and teacher for the record) in the States I wish vacation was shorter like in the UK.
In the UK summer vacation is shorter but they have more shorter vacations spread throughout the year that breaks things up and makes it easier.
I also like the idea of making school dyas shorter and more weeks of school. Elementary school here is 8:05-4:00 and high school ends at 5:00! Would love to spend more time with my kids daily and they don't have to be in school so long!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 9:04 pm
I also grew up in the UK with only 5.5 weeks summer vacation. I never felt it was too little, and I really appreciated the short breaks we'd get throughout the year - especially when I was older it gave me a chance to catch up with my workload and get a breather (and we really did have a lot of work).
When I moved to the states I was really baffled at how there is so little break during the year (mostly Yomim Tovim and two long weekends), and a ridiculously long stretch during the summer.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 9:11 pm
Also, the long summer means there is a lot of time wasted at the beginning of the school year - it seems they are constantly going over and reviewing the previous year's work (and boring the kids). Give them a shorter break and it won't be necessary!
And I never ever remember having summer homework - vacation was vacation.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 9:28 pm
I think the amount of review is ridiculous which is why kids are bored. if it was necessary the kids wouldn't be bored.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 10:00 pm
Teacher here, who desperately wishes summer was a month shorter!!!

Do you people have any idea how hard it is to make up the lost income in the summer?

My DH and I are both in education and need to work our backsides off to stay afloat each summer. We have zero income unless we both take on extra jobs (which have less security because they are temporary.)

And summer months are WAY more expensive than all the others (camp, trips, swimming etc), so if we don't set aside $ all year, we are doomed.

And then come September, there are huge expenses to jump right into as well. School supplies, shoes, uniforms, and Yom tov!

We went into these fields for very noble ideals, and are so grateful to be living up to them, but man! It is difficult!

All of the above is true for teachers who are also breadwinner, not just in it to stay busy.

Thought you might want to hear a teacher's side too.

salt

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:54 am
amother wrote:
Teacher here, who desperately wishes summer was a month shorter!!!

Do you people have any idea how hard it is to make up the lost income in the summer?

My DH and I are both in education and need to work our backsides off to stay afloat each summer. We have zero income unless we both take on extra jobs (which have less security because they are temporary.)

And summer months are WAY more expensive than all the others (camp, trips, swimming etc), so if we don't set aside $ all year, we are doomed.

And then come September, there are huge expenses to jump right into as well. School supplies, shoes, uniforms, and Yom tov!

We went into these fields for very noble ideals, and are so grateful to be living up to them, but man! It is difficult!

All of the above is true for teachers who are also breadwinner, not just in it to stay busy.

Thought you might want to hear a teacher's side too.

I'm pretty sure that in Israel, summer months teachers get full salary.
You only get paid 10 months per year? If so I agree, I'd prefer work the extra month.
I was under the impression that (one of the only) perks of being a teachers was 2 months paid vacation in the summer! Unless I'm not understanding you.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics