Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Budgeting for move

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:34 am
We are I"YH moving soon and trying to figure out roughly how much to budget for movers. We are in NY, family of 7 (to give an idea on amount of stuff we would have) and moving from a 3 bedroom house to a house about 25 minutes away. Roughly how much should we expect the movers to cost? Not including other miscellaneous expenses (such as items for new house, take out food, etc.). I know it depends on how much/what stuff we have but just to give us a general idea if those who have moved recently can post how much they paid it would be a big help. Thanks.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:57 pm
Bumping up for afternoon crowd.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:06 pm
You should approximate how many boxes you will most likely have. Call multiple movers for an estimate . They usually ask you what furniture there is, major appliances etc. . That's the best way to figure out approximation . Four years ago it cost me about $1300 to move a family of six, a 15 min drive away. But it varies on whether they need to hoist furniture . If there are lots of steps etc. They take all this into account.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:10 pm
Also find out about tips. I dont know if its city specific but where I live they are really not optional. We paid an extra $200 in tips alone and we were on a very tight budget so we paid the low end of the moving company range.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:18 pm
I would estimate like $1500

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
We are I"YH moving soon and trying to figure out roughly how much to budget for movers. We are in NY, family of 7 (to give an idea on amount of stuff we would have) and moving from a 3 bedroom house to a house about 25 minutes away. Roughly how much should we expect the movers to cost? Not including other miscellaneous expenses (such as items for new house, take out food, etc.). I know it depends on how much/what stuff we have but just to give us a general idea if those who have moved recently can post how much they paid it would be a big help. Thanks.

We moved 4 people from a 2 bedroom for $1500. Not including tips. So I'd budget more.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 4:34 pm
Definitely aim for closer to 2000. Our move originally was 1400 but then they added on this charge and that charge...

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 5:37 pm
Thanks to all who answered. We got a quote for $1,800 which my husband thought was high but I thought was about right. Sounds like it's in the right ballpark. We will call other movers to get some other quotes to compare but sounds like budgeting $2,000 (to include tips) should be about right.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks to all who answered. We got a quote for $1,800 which my husband thought was high but I thought was about right. Sounds like it's in the right ballpark. We will call other movers to get some other quotes to compare but sounds like budgeting $2,000 (to include tips) should be about right.

Make sure you get a signed contract. The first time we moved we got a quote and the guy nickle and dimed us and gave us the usual moving spiel that we had more stuff than they thought bla bla bla and we weren't prepared. Not worth it! This time we used a super official company and got a signed contract with a higher bid but it was sealed signed and delivered and we knew they wouldn't ask for an extra dime. It appears to cost more at first, but it's not that much more and the piece of mind of knowing and not dealing with the unknown was much less stressful.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 5:55 pm
Try maxi movers we had good experience with them

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 6:37 pm
M Bakin movers were the best priced and so reliable and pleasant. They are very popular, ask around. We just moved this summer. They give you a signed contract and stick to the price. I cannot reccomend the
Highly enough!

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:19 pm
my husband owns a moving company. prices vary. depending on the amount of furniture,
you have. The people come down for an estimate, and that is the amount you pay.
Nothing is added on later. the price should be around $1,600-$2,000

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 9:25 pm
to save yourselves some money, maybe get a Uhaul and move all STUFF yourselves--- the boxes. And then JUST hire movers for the furniture and appliances.

We moved a block in 2011 and we did NOT do this because I ended up having a relapse of a chronic condition and couldn't even finish packing so not only did the movers move EVERYTHING, they had to pack a lot too. However before I got super ill we started with breakables and I was able to move some breakables over by car without packing--- just stacking the china on the backseat floor of the car, etc. So that saved some time and money.

I agree with price estimates. I'm sure we were somewhere between $1500 and $2000 and that included some packing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics