Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is there any way to be healthy and NOT nerdy (for kids)?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:39 am
Let's take for example 3rd grader. I think it is reprehensible that they market disgusting forms and quantities of sugary garbage to children and therefore I have a moral problem buying it to give out to kids. But I also don't want my kid to be "that kid" who gives an awful healthy MM. In the past I did something like a juice box, a bag of chips/pretzels/cookies, and a prize/stickers type of non-food thing. Now that we're getting older I'm a little worried that would be nerdy.

Please advise.

I don't want to spend much, either.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:50 am
Homemade goodies? Small baked Challah or mini Kugel, plus a small bottle of grape juice or chocolate.milk might seem very sophisticated to an 8 year old.

Rappel

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:53 am
Another vote for homemade (though, speaking from experience: stay far away from soup! It's too hard to deliver.)

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:15 am
That's what I do for my own friends, but I can't imagine any 8 year old being excited by a challah or kugel. They want disgusting things like rollerball candy which my kid just explained to me.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:22 am
Chocolate milk and cookies? Plus maybe one sugary treat?

salt

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:28 am
I'd say apples and oranges would be considered nerdy, but juice and pretzels is just a slightly healthier form of nosh. Go for it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:34 am
amother wrote:
Chocolate milk and cookies? Plus maybe one sugary treat?

Where I come from chocolate milk and cookies ARE sugary treats. But I know what you mean.

It's a tricky one. On the one hand it is only one day, and you can't change the world. Is there any craze now like the fidget spinners were a few years back that you could put in to detract from the slightly nerdy nature of the food?

nameless

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:59 am
Maybe do something real that kids enjoy like homemade pizza or a fun type of yogurt.

rowo

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:35 am
I struggle with this!
Also depends on the kid, some are more sensitive about this than others.

As my kids grow older I have had to compromise on things like the Shalach manos they give their friends and the snacks they take to camp.
They know there are some things that are an absolute no, but I have had to give in on some things.

I often end up spending a bit more money, the cheapest stuff is often the junkiest, but I try to make it work.

It's a hard balance, I try and look at the bigger picture and their long term relationship with food.
(I'm sure we all know at least one person/kid that was heavily restricted with food at home and goes totally nuts when away from home)

jerusalem90

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:41 am
Do they still make those squeezable peanut butter things?

Most kids like salted nuts, peanuts, cashews, etc. Maybe dried apricots or raisins (I think most kids like the the white raisins more than the purple ones). Most kids like popcorn. Granola bars are usually pretty sugary, but still better than candy.

myname1

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:18 am
jerusalem90 wrote:

Most kids like salted nuts, peanuts, cashews, etc. Maybe dried apricots or raisins (I think most kids like the the white raisins more than the purple ones). Most kids like popcorn. Granola bars are usually pretty sugary, but still better than candy.

I like the popcorn idea. Maybe even drizzle chocolate on top to make it really cool! Or pretzel rods dipped in chocolate with sprinkles or some kind of homemade chocolate lollypop or cake pop.

simba

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:47 am
Popcorn is fun. Maybe make a few flavors.
Home baked food made into cool shapes is also a good trick.
Cake pops/cupcakes can be cool and different but not nerdy.

I made chocolate bark with white and dark chocolate.. marbles look.. sprinkled with some colorful sprinkles. Looked very festive and fun and was only chocolate.. wrapped it into pretty clear bags and colored ribbon bows.

Packaging also counts in the nerdiness factor.

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:56 am
Do a lunch or breakfast theme. Even kids like real food too especially on a crazy day like purim.

Some ideas:

mini cereal box, (maybe a little junkier then usual) milk carton, juice.

make your own pizza kit - make mini pizza bases, (or use pittas) grated cheese in a bag and tomato sauce in a little tub. Some cut up veggies or a juice box as well.

Or bagels and mini peanut butters, butters, cheese slices

older kids might enjoy homemade sushi or stuff like that.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:32 am
Yes, if you spend on sugarless candy etc. I wouldn't bother for one day. Don't destroy their PUrim.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
Homemade goodies? Small baked Challah or mini Kugel, plus a small bottle of grape juice or chocolate.milk might seem very sophisticated to an 8 year old.

we dont use any homemade items sent on purim. between not knowing where it originated from, mant pass on what they receive' hygiene and hechsherim, we pass it right on to the cleaning girl or garbage. rather something bought and packaged. arents can figure out what to do with makinh sure children dont overindulge.

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:09 am
In contrast to biblical precedent, Purim is the day I concede defeat (to nosh).

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:21 am
There are two days a year that I just "let it go" and the nosh wins. Purim and Simchas Torah.
I limit it by only allowing my kids to give up to four friends , not more. This usually ends up being two neighborhood friends and two classmate friends .

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
we dont use any homemade items sent on purim. between not knowing where it originated from, mant pass on what they receive' hygiene and hechsherim, we pass it right on to the cleaning girl or garbage. rather something bought and packaged. arents can figure out what to do with makinh sure children dont overindulge.

One of the many reasons we dont give out a ton of mm and those we do give to are people who I am sure wont toss it or give it away. I feel like the point of mm is lost when they become so impersonalized and mass distributed.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:50 am
jerusalem90 wrote:

Please please please please please there are so many kids with nut allergies, if you do this please make sure the nuts are in sealed packages so that they can be easily isolated and disposed of if needed.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:52 am
Thank you all for the suggestions!

I do a lot of letting it go when it comes to the nosh my kids receive (also simchas Torah lol) but I can't seem to bring myself to buy it and be the one dumping it on others.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I'm feeling a little more encouraged now!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics