Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why do kids need such a long summer vacation?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:15 am
salt wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in Israel, summer months teachers get full salary.
You only get paid 10 months per year? If so I agree, I'd prefer work the extra month.
I was under the impression that (one of the only) perks of being a teachers was 2 months paid vacation in the summer! Unless I'm not understanding you.

I taught in a public school in the US (not NY) and we had the option of splitting our annual salary over the 10 months of school or over the 12 month year. So basically they would put some of our paycheck aside for us to get in the summer. So it doesn't really matter if you get paid then or not- the issue is if you're making enough of a salary for the year or not.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:35 am
Long vacay is s they welcome back school after Very Happy

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:35 am
I happen to think the long break is good for kids. I think it gives them a chance to exercise different skills. I wish I had the option to be off for the summer and take my kids hiking and do fun things. Unfortunately, I don't get the option of summers off so it is pretty hard for me. But it's great for my kids.

I also love the no homework.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
Teacher here, who desperately wishes summer was a month shorter!!!

Do you people have any idea how hard it is to make up the lost income in the summer?

My DH and I are both in education and need to work our backsides off to stay afloat each summer. We have zero income unless we both take on extra jobs (which have less security because they are temporary.)

And summer months are WAY more expensive than all the others (camp, trips, swimming etc), so if we don't set aside $ all year, we are doomed.

And then come September, there are huge expenses to jump right into as well. School supplies, shoes, uniforms, and Yom tov!

We went into these fields for very noble ideals, and are so grateful to be living up to them, but man! It is difficult!

All of the above is true for teachers who are also breadwinner, not just in it to stay busy.

Thought you might want to hear a teacher's side too.

Many schools pay over 12 months, for exactly this reason.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:14 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Many schools pay over 12 months, for exactly this reason.

Happy to hear, for those teachers' sakes.

DH and I have worked in a number of frum schools combined, and have never had this option.

And even so, this would only help if you're making a decent salary, which is a whole nother topic...

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:19 pm
I live in London. Summer vacation is 5-6 weeks, which is ideal. Majority of kids go to day camp for 2 weeks, and then do family time the next 3 weeks. When it comes to the last week, my kids always say how they're ready to go back to school! I think we get a perfect package deal, because we also get a full 2 weeks winter vacation, with the option of excellent day camps, and around 2 weekends off at random times.

I actually moved here from Israel, and found the summer there ENDLESS!!!!!! there also didn't have great options for day/camp over there...
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics