Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
16 old and insomnia

smile

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:45 am
My 16 year old daughter has difficulties falling and staying asleep, real insomnia.
Any tried tips and advices?
I prefer her not getting used to sleeping tablets.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:53 am
Get out some books on sleep hygiene, like No More Sleepless Nights.
Limit evening
-caffeine
-screen exposure.
Before pills, try relaxation techniques. I'm sure you'll find good stuff if you google insomnia+relaxation.
Make sure your daughter has a physical to rule out medical conditions such as hyperthyroidism. (Long shot, but there could be other stuff too. And re hyperthyroidism: No one should rush to destroy the thyroid with radioactive iodine, whatever pressure doctors give. Take time to make an informed decision.)

And I assume you've ruled out stressors - self-esteem, stress at school, broken friendships, etc.

shevi82

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:38 am
My 16 year old had that and then she cut out coffee and chocolate. It really helped. some people are more senstive to caffiene.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:10 am
My teen had difficulty sleeping. I actually took her to a psychiatrist because she was in therapy for something else, and the therapist was worried. Believe it or not, the psychiatrist did not rush to put her on meds. He put her on omega 3 vitamins (it has to be a certain type and potency, and it is not Kosher - it's called Omega Mood) twice a day and it has really helped.

my mama

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:19 am
I found that a weighted blanket really helped me. And a completely dark and silent room
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children