Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Cost of mm
1  2  Next

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:21 pm
What's the average cost per mm?
I'm thinking I need to prepare about 50
Plus another 50 for the kids?
I don't need a theme but would like to keep costs reasonable. Any suggestions?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:34 pm
IMHO, $3-$5 range is average. Think a bottle of grape juice, chocolate, candies, bag/box to pack it in... it costs... it depends how simple or lavish you like your mm to be.
Some do with a cheap drink, snack and candies. Some do large sparkling grape juice, bar chocolate, plus more...
Think of how you want to present your mm, what would you like to put into it and search for good $ deals.

amother
White

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:38 pm
I keep mine under $2 a piece. It takes some effort, but I do care a lot about aesthetics so it's worth it to me to give something that looks and tastes great even though I can't afford to spend more. If I had more money to budget for this I would definitely cut myself some slack.

watergirl

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:39 pm
You will get a huge range in these types of threads. Some communities put emphasis on the packaging, some on quantity, some on quality.

Where I live, standard is a cellophane bag with a bag of pretzels or chips and a few laffy taffy's or wafers and a “simchas purim from the Watergirl family” sticker. Under $1 each. Mine are about $1.25/each, and I give about 14 out, not counting teachers/rebbes.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:41 pm
I usually spend about $4 each and make about 50 (not including the kids). I hope I'll be able to find something for less there year. I guess we'll see.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:51 pm
I feel that mm for teacher, Rabbi, tutors, therapists, close friends, siblings, parents... need to be presentable stuff, no snacks and junk food like leafy taffy.
You don't need to impress them with fancy mm but decent items they can make use of.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 7:55 pm
Mine are about $25 each. We do 31 from the family. Kids do about 10 - 15 each. Theirs are about $5 to $10 each.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 8:32 pm
Most of people I get mm from put in a few homemade cookies & a small grape juice or mini liquor. Maybe throw in some pretty candy like wrapped with gold foil....thats it...

I usually like to match to my theme...so it's cute & don't have to bake something homemade....its easier for me.

I send around 25-30.

Most sil we don't exchange. Only some neighbors. Some friends. Some aunts.

For parents I make something for seuda.
For school rebbes, I usually put a wine or sparkling into a bag with a check.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:51 am
amother wrote:
I keep mine under $2 a piece. It takes some effort, but I do care a lot about aesthetics so it's worth it to me to give something that looks and tastes great even though I can't afford to spend more. If I had more money to budget for this I would definitely cut myself some slack.

For adult mm, what do you put in that costs a total of $2, junk food?
Do you give $2 mm to teachers and Rebbis as well?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:03 am
not nessecarily under $2, but cheap ideas
Mini chumus, baby carrots, pretzels ( or mini pita)
Iced Coffee & cinnamon bun
Arizona & package of tea biscuits ( this one was our favorite - a pulled together theme, and really under $2!)
Popcorn
Hamantashen
Knish & sardines
Challah roll & dip

We usually look at flyers for sales a couple weeks before Purim for inspiration, then I go to $ store to buy nice packaging.

DVOM

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:16 am
I love preparing and giving shalach manos!

We usually prepare 75ish for adults, plus about 50 for kids. The kids ones are under a dollar, usually a soda can and candy. The adult ones are a bit more, but I try to keep it under 2$.

Last year I bought white paper lunch bags at wallmart, on sale, 100 for 99c. My kids decorated them with paint, stickers, glitter glue, sequins, ribbons in the weeks leading up to Purim. They were ravishing! We baked little chocolate cakes and added a drink... I think all together each one was about 1.75$, and we had so much fun making them.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:30 am
I give one per kid to trade at school, allow them to do their own if they DO their own.
I wouldn't spendmore than a couple euro unless we're giving five beautiful ones.

meme6

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:34 am
You can do nice and affordable for around $2.50. Baking can cost u way cheaper. Kids are also around 1.75 each.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:13 am
amother wrote:
For adult mm, what do you put in that costs a total of $2, junk food?
Do you give $2 mm to teachers and Rebbis as well?

I’ll answer this.

I make a pretzedog - homemade pretzel dough wrapped around a hot dog. A pickle spear, a can of coke, and maybe a cookie. I put it all ina takenout container and a sticker label. Not fancy but our friends love it and its real food. I dont give to anyone who I think will chuck it, regift it, or not trust my hygene or kashrus.

Teachers and rebbis get a bottle of cheap but tasty wine and chocolate bar. It’s what we can afford. Also, I know that every teacher and rebbe would feel truly horrible to think that I spent more money than I could afford to bring them a nicer/fancier mm.

meme6

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:21 am
Rebbes and teachers get my regular mm. They like the tip way more then me spending more money so for a tip I give what you can afford!

keym

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:36 am
Depends what else is going on. Baked goods could be very cheap, but takes time and energy.

I like doing a mini grape juice and a challa in a cellophane bag. Around $1.75/$2.00 a piece.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
not nessecarily under $2, but cheap ideas
Mini chumus, baby carrots, pretzels ( or mini pita)
Iced Coffee & cinnamon bun
Arizona & package of tea biscuits ( this one was our favorite - a pulled together theme, and really under $2!)
Popcorn
Hamantashen
Knish & sardines
Challah roll & dip

We usually look at flyers for sales a couple weeks before Purim for inspiration, then I go to $ store to buy nice packaging.

I love some of these, bc they are not "junk" food, despite being reasonably priced. Kudos!

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:46 am
I try to keep mine under $5.00. I give about 30 minus the Rebbes and Teachers. I spend less for the teachers but include a check if I can. For teachers and Rebbes it'll be wafer rolls with a bottle of grape juice nicely wrapped or something like that. I find that they don't need my cutesy mm that I give for everyone else. They'd probably not even eat my stuff.
But I really lower the cost because I bake. I am into doing nice mm. I get a beautiful tray or something from the dollar store and present it nicely with cellophane or shrink wrap with a nice ribbon. The kids I try to do under a $1.00. You can pick up nice cups that are 8 for $1.00 in Amazing Savings or something like that. Soda cans at Walmart or Shoprite take up a lot of space and it makes it very exciting, you add a bag of popcorn and some gooey chewy something, color coded and you're in business.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
Mine are about $25 each. We do 31 from the family. Kids do about 10 - 15 each. Theirs are about $5 to $10 each.

You spend $1000 on MM??!!

Family gives about 15 to 20, and we usually spend between $5 and $10 a piece. The kids' are included in that, except for the one kid who lives away, and he gives a couple of his own, to his roommates.

Our schools organize a Purim gift for teachers, so everyone contributes however much to MM/gift, so teachers aren't drowning in junk.

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:26 am
Some mm that people have to give will be more expensive like when they are including a gift, or it has to be more presentable like for a doctor, boss, therapist, someone that they want to show appreciation for, or for business reasons, where they want to keep a relationship to do business, like clients, sponsors/donors to an org.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics