Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Tongue tied being a ba’alas simcha

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:52 am
My daughter B’H is gettting married soon. I get very nervous & blank out, mouth gets dry, when I’m asked to give a Bracha to people who wish me Mazel Tov. & not comfortable in that role. I know being a ba’alas simcha I am expected to give brochas to others. I need like a narrative to have ticked away in my head to wish to others. Any one can help me???

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:54 am
I wish you and your family every happiness.
Mazel tov!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:59 am
A cousin of ours says, "Im yirtze Hashem by yours!"
Or say simply "Amein, thank you for coming!" I was told that Mazal Tov is a bracha, so amein is the appropriate response.

Having a couple canned responses can be very helpful. Don’t give brachos unless you feel that you want to. Being a gracious and welcoming happy host is most important.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 3:29 am
No one asks the mother a bracha. And I've been to smachos on several continents.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:47 am
Ive never heard or seen anyone ask the mother for a bracha. They just wish her mazel tov.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:05 am
We should continue to share bisoros tovos.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:22 am
I know how you feel. I'm a very quiet person myself, recently married of my eldest and for me it was more the thought of acting the hostess and standing under the chuppah with our daughter that worried me. I never heard of mothers-of-the-bride being expected to give brachos but maybe it is that way in your community.
Anyway, what helped me was focusing my thoughts on every guest who came over and how nice it was of them to come to our simcha. Instead of focusing on my response, I was focusing on them. This can help with both "thank you for coming" and with giving a genuine Bracha, if you have one you can repeat (and if it really is expected). The guests felt the genuine appreciation and I was surprised how natural it all felt. It actually added to our simcha in a special way.
Mazal Tov!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics