Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O how much for a family of 3 groceries a month?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:28 am
Including produce, meats, paper goods, vitamins and health foods.

Not including “target items” like cleaners and shampoos or takeout or restaurants (about $100).

My toddler likes his special yogurts, applesauces and snacks which are expensive. Also juice and milk her drinks like water.

DH eats lots of chocolate bars and I try to buy lots of vegetables and cut up lettuce so I’ll eat better.

All above items are definitely pricey but worthwhile because it gets eaten.

If I make shabbos its about $150-200 week
Otherwise anywhere between $80-150

Comes out to about $600 a month.

How about you?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:31 am
We are a family of 6, I spend usually about $350-$450 on groceries and fruits/veggies

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:46 am
Ema weekly? Not monthly

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:50 am
I'll quote someone else on the other thread:

baby12x wrote:
You're asking the wrong question: how much can you afford to spend on food?
Then make that budget work the best you can.

We budgeted $300 a month for our family of 3, we can choose to spend it on chocolate or we can spend it on strawberries, but that's our budget.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:53 am
amother wrote:

We budgeted $300 a month for our family of 3, we can choose to spend it on chocolate or we can spend it on strawberries, but that's our budget.

I think $300 sounds about right. Obviously that goes way up during yom tov, especially pesach. But I try .

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:

$300???!!!

What do you serve for dinner?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:37 pm
dankbar wrote:
Ema weekly? Not monthly

Sorry, that’s weekly. We also live in Far rockaway, where grocery shopping is expensive.
I get some things in Brooklyn, which is a little cheaper than here, and I get the remaining stuff at a local grocery store. My fruits/vegetables I get at a more expensive store, and I spend about $75-$150 a week, depending how many people we are for shabbos. This week we had my in laws and also a family of 7, so it was on the more expensive side.
I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and am also (mostly) gluten free, so that’s also a little more expensive.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:50 pm
I can answer for the $300 - this week I made a jambalaya-type stew in the crock pot. I used 2 cans of tomato sauce ($1.20), chicken ($9), rice (50 cents), celery ($1), peppers ($1.50), and then herbs and spices. I made a huge serving so it's enough to last us about 5-6 dinners. For less than $15. We're only two people though, and we had salad ($3) with it. We don't mind leftovers which is a huge help. I know some people wouldn't want to have the same dinner multiple nights in a row, but when you make it really delicious, it's fine by us!

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
$300???!!!

What do you serve for dinner?

During the week, for the main, chicken. (Usually 4x a week, sometimes I just can't handle the chicken anymore so we have salmon) once a month/twice a month we have meat (ground meat)
Starch is either rice, pasta or potatoes.
Roasted Broccoli or other roasted veggies for the vegetables.

I live in ny

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:07 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I can answer for the $300 - this week I made a jambalaya-type stew in the crock pot. I used 2 cans of tomato sauce ($1.20), chicken ($9), rice (50 cents), celery ($1), peppers ($1.50), and then herbs and spices. I made a huge serving so it's enough to last us about 5-6 dinners. For less than $15. We're only two people though, and we had salad ($3) with it. We don't mind leftovers which is a huge help. I know some people wouldn't want to have the same dinner multiple nights in a row, but when you make it really delicious, it's fine by us!

Can I pm u for the recipe?
It Sounds good!

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:10 pm
icedcoffee wrote:

Where do you get celery for $1.00? Mine was close to $3.00, or are you breaking it down by how much you used for the recipe?

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 2:24 pm
Celery is $1.99 at my store and I used 2 stalks, leaving plenty left. I think I'm going to make khoresh karafs, a Persian celery stew, with the rest (super easy - you just need parsley, onion, kidney beans, stew meat, and some spices, then serve it over rice).

And this was the recipe I used! I just didn't include sausage because my husband hates it, and I also forgot to mention the onion. Didn't add chicken broth either, the spices added a lot of flavor without.

https://www.joyofkosher.com/re.....laya/

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:47 pm
icedcoffee wrote:

Right but I have a child who likes his own foods plus I won’t eat the same thing 6 times on a row.... the most I’ll do is three. I make a big morrocon fish Thursday night eat some for dinner, have on shabbos and then again Sunday night is leftovers. By Sunday night I’m pretty sick of it though.

Protein (save for eggs) is expensive! Cheese costs $10-12 a bag, chicken cutlets, salmon, meat and chop meat are a certain (expensive) hechsher.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 4:49 pm
amother wrote:
During the week, for the main, chicken. (Usually 4x a week, sometimes I just can't handle the chicken anymore so we have salmon) once a month/twice a month we have meat (ground meat)
Starch is either rice, pasta or potatoes.
Roasted Broccoli or other roasted veggies for the vegetables.

I live in ny

On a bone?

Unfortunately we are pretty picky. Cutlets only and once a week. Other nights are chop meat, dairy or salmon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics