Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Kayla

chavalah

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:01 pm
Im pregnant and trying to come up with a list of possible girl names. I love the name Kayla but am having trouble finding a real source for the meaning. At this point, I'm not even sure if its actually hebrew or yiddish or another language altogether. Does anyone have any information? Thank you!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:32 pm
chavalah wrote:
Im pregnant and trying to come up with a list of possible girl names. I love the name Kayla but am having trouble finding a real source for the meaning. At this point, I'm not even sure if its actually hebrew or yiddish or another language altogether. Does anyone have any information? Thank you!

This is my daughter’s middle name Smile
As far as I know it’s a yiddish name, but I really don’t know what it means!

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:49 pm
It's a Yiddish name but I think became popular in general as well.

I see there are old threads with same questions & some possible answers

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:52 pm
I think it is even used in secular world in America

Sunnydays

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 4:56 pm
It’s a Yiddish name

cm

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 5:04 pm
dankbar wrote:
I think it is even used in secular world in America

In English, "Kayla" could be considered a variant of "Kayleigh," which has been very popular, along with all its spelling variations, in the secular US for some time. Baby name sites say it means "like G-d" in Hebrew, but I suspect it is more likely to be derived from Gaelic if it is anything other than made-up English.

In Hebrew, I thought "Kayla" was short for "Michaela," but maybe I'm wrong.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 5:12 pm
https://www.kveller.com/jewish.....ayla/

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:16 pm
My sister’s middle name is Kyla קיילא
It’s Yiddish and she was told it means vessel.
I haven’t seen anyone mention that meaning in any of the other threads though.

Gerbera

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:31 pm
From Aish.com

Keila
Keila is a Yiddish name derived from the Hebrew word "Keli," which means "vessel." A talented person is often referred to as "Keli" – a complete vessel, capable of performing great things.

http://www.aish.com/jl/l/b/489.....e=yes

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 6:40 pm
Thank you, Gerbera!

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 8:38 pm
I named my daughter Kayla after much back and forth. I loved the name but didn't love that it was yiddish. We were told to spell it קילה with a ה, instead of with an א, so it's more Hebrew than yiddish. When we did our research, were told it's from the word kelilah which means Laurel (crown). Good luck with your decision.

etky

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
I named my daughter Kayla after much back and forth. I loved the name but didn't love that it was yiddish. We were told to spell it קילה with a ה, instead of with an א, so it's more Hebrew than yiddish. When we did our research, were told it's from the word kelilah which means Laurel (crown). Good luck with your decision.

So כליל is indeed a sort of crown (it also has a meaning of 'perfection').
To further feminize the name some people add a ה.
כילה is a mosquito net that you put up, especially around a baby's crib.
קילה is a hernia, although it is pronounced Kee-leh.
I think that the name Kayla is usually spelled קיילה with two yuds.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 9:42 pm
My sister is Kayla. According to what I've heard about it, it's for Keili-Hashem.

salt

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:43 am
Gerbera wrote:
From Aish.com

Keila
Keila is a Yiddish name derived from the Hebrew word "Keli," which means "vessel." A talented person is often referred to as "Keli" – a complete vessel, capable of performing great things.

http://www.aish.com/jl/l/b/489.....e=yes

Keli in Hebrew is כלי
Is should be written with a כ and not with a ק if it's meaning is a vessel.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:25 am
I read once in some name book (I'm sorry I don't remember which ) that Kaila is Chaya=Chayala=Kayala=Kayla.

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:29 am
etky wrote:
So כליל is indeed a sort of crown (it also has a meaning of 'perfection').
To further feminize the name some people add a ה.
כילה is a mosquito net that you put up, especially around a baby's crib.
קילה is a hernia, although it is pronounced Kee-leh.
I think that the name Kayla is usually spelled קיילה with two yuds.

Two yuds is a mistake. Yiddish has two yuds, but when spelling names they are almost all properly spelled with one yud (think faiga, shaindel, kayla, etc.) I see constant misspellings because in reality the spelling is only very important for a get....

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:42 am
nchr wrote:
Two yuds is a mistake. Yiddish has two yuds, but when spelling names they are almost all properly spelled with one yud (think faiga, shaindel, kayla, etc.) I see constant misspellings because in reality the spelling is only very important for a get....

I always hated when people told me my name is spelled wrong. That was the name I was given, and that's what's meant for me.
I have more commonly heard the translation of "crown."

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:34 am
cm wrote:
In English, "Kayla" could be considered a variant of "Kayleigh," which has been very popular, along with all its spelling variations, in the secular US for some time. Baby name sites say it means "like G-d" in Hebrew, but I suspect it is more likely to be derived from Gaelic if it is anything other than made-up English.

In Hebrew, I thought "Kayla" was short for "Michaela," but maybe I'm wrong.

There is a secular name Kayleigh/Kaylee and another, different secular name Kayla, which is occasionally a nickname for Makayla/Michaela but can be a name in and of itself.

Kayla is also a Yiddish name.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:53 am
WitchKitty wrote:
I read once in some name book (I'm sorry I don't remember which ) that Kaila is Chaya=Chayala=Kayala=Kayla.

Interesting! My daughter’s name is Chaya Kayla (named for someone). Maybe it’s one of those double names like Dov Ber or Yitzchok Eisek?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names