Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Mornings/ 4 year old

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:52 am
What does your child do when he gets up in the morning , but it’s early so you still want to sleep ? My 4 yr old son wakes up early, comes to my room and disturbs, this is daily. I feel like he should be able to entertain himself quietly until it’s time for me to wake up.
Any ideas? We have many toys etc, for some reason they don’t seem to interest him in the morning

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:53 am
My kids come tell me good morning & then they go play.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
My kids come tell me good morning & then they go play.

My son is an only child , when there is more then one it’s prob easier for them to go play together.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:03 am
Maybe get some interesting toys or puzzles special for the morning?
Does he like to color or look at books?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:08 am
I would not let a child that age play while I sleep. In my opinion (I have a 4 year old too) it’s too young to be unattended.

Doesn’t your child have school to get ready for? My 4 year old and I are out of the house at 7:15 so there’s no sleeping in here.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:20 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I would not let a child that age play while I sleep. In my opinion (I have a 4 year old too) it’s too young to be unattended.

Doesn’t your child have school to get ready for? My 4 year old and I are out of the house at 7:15 so there’s no sleeping in here.

I think a 4 year old can play quietly by themselves w the parents sleeping.
The bus comes at 8.30, I think it’s reasonable for me to be waking up at 7.15

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:24 pm
Same story, it's normal. If it's because he's hungry you can start leaving something to eat on the table the night before so he can get started with that. Otherwise it's expected for kids that age to want to "check in" when they wake up.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
Same story, it's normal. If it's because he's hungry you can start leaving something to eat on the table the night before so he can get started with that. Otherwise it's expected for kids that age to want to "check in" when they wake up.

There’s checking in and then there’s coming to our beds and climbing on us talking loudly etc etc and won’t leave the room until we get out of bed.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
There’s checking in and then there’s coming to our beds and climbing on us talking loudly etc etc and won’t leave the room until we get out of bed.

Yeah, that's part of being a parent.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:

That's a four year old checking in Laugh

You can try a start chart if you want. Each day that he waits until you come out he gets a star, after 5 stars he gets a prize. But he may not be ready for it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:10 pm
Can he read, play with a toy... on the floor near your bed while you sleep?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
Yeah, that's part of being a parent.

Correct but sometimes there are solutions so I’m asking here Smile nothing wrong with that

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 1:26 pm
I truly think that your expectations are out of line with what’s realistic for a 4 year old.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:31 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I truly think that your expectations are out of line with what’s realistic for a 4 year old.

A 4 year old is big enough to play on their own and not disturb totty n mommy if it isn’t an emergency. I don’t think they r expected to be climbing on you each morning. If she would come in and lay and cuddle with me I would obviously be fine with that. But that’s not the case here.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:35 pm
I have some magna tiles in my room so if either my 2 or 4 year old wake up before I want to get out of bed they can semi occupy themselves.

keym

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:39 pm
What time are we talking?
My 4 yr old has one of those clocks that changes colors at the time you set.
If he gets up before 6:30, he can turn on the CD or read books but that's it. "Its still night and everyone is sleeping".
After 6:30, though, I get up, feed him, set him up with toys. If he's playing calmly, I'll doze on the couch near him.
My toddlers and preschoolers eat supper at 5:30 and go to bed at 7. If he's up by 6:30, he's done sleeping and probably really hungry.
Then that's part of being a parent.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
A 4 year old is big enough to play on their own and not disturb totty n mommy if it isn’t an emergency. I don’t think they r expected to be climbing on you each morning. If she would come in and lay and cuddle with me I would obviously be fine with that. But that’s not the case here.

Some four year olds are, some aren't. If you think yours is, a star chart should work. If he's motivated by the chart and still can't manage, he's not capable yet.

solo

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:51 pm
It took a lot of reinforcement. But now my 4.5 yr old comes in 1-2 times to check if it’s morning (even though I’m sure he knows the answer) and then he plays semi quietly in his room, or the playroom, with my 7 yr old. Who is bh able to play quietly until 7am and then get dressed on his own!
It gets better
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics