Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is there any way to be healthy and NOT nerdy (for kids)?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:52 am
I've given sesame street 100% juice boxes, natural fruit leather, the powder candy watches and rings, a prize, pic of the kid...

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:52 am
Its purim, this one day I look the other way!!
If I indulge in some junk, so can my kids.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:56 am
seeker wrote:
Thank you all for the suggestions!

I do a lot of letting it go when it comes to the nosh my kids receive (also simchas Torah lol) but I can't seem to bring myself to buy it and be the one dumping it on others.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I'm feeling a little more encouraged now!

From a food waste and money waste perspective, after reading on here how many people toss candy in the trash, I think you make total sense in looking for alternatives.

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 5:57 am
Their are "natural" lollypops, jellies, fruit rolls, fruit leather with no coloring just colored colored from natural flavors

sky

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:18 am
Home made cupcakes or cookies packaged pretty. I could see a preteen being very proud to give a pretty cupcake box with a chocolate.

keym

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:20 am
We have a one drink, one snack, one candy rule. Practically that means a juice box, snack bag, and one candy thing- lolly or such. So even though the snack bag and drink isn't healthy, its not as bad.

Also themes, themes, themes. My kids are way more likely to go with healthier options if it could be tied in to that kids costume or presented in a shticky, themey way.

PS according to my 11 yr old, pickles and hot peppers are not nerdy.

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:23 am
We don't buy candy in our house, but we wouldn't single out our kids on Purim. Their mm have the same junk as everyone else and we ignore the candy. If they eat it, so be it. They usually end up vomiting anyways, most likely because they are not used to it (except for the ones already in school who probably eat it there).

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:25 am
keym wrote:
We have a one drink, one snack, one candy rule. Practically that means a juice box, snack bag, and one candy thing- lolly or such. So even though the snack bag and drink isn't healthy, its not as bad.

Also themes, themes, themes. My kids are way more likely to go with healthier options if it could be tied in to that kids costume or presented in a shticky, themey way.

Hot peppers were always so "shticky" with my brothers.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:25 am
keym wrote:

Not only are they not nerdy, but they are now super-cool.

I buy these snack-size ziplocks, and my 5th grader takes either pickles or hot peppers to school for snack.

I'm thinking of limiting that to once or twice a week, as I'm not sure it's actually so healthy on the stomach to have that daily.....even when the alternative is chips or bissli....

keym

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:32 am
Chayalle wrote:
Not only are they not nerdy, but they are now super-cool.

I buy these snack-size ziplocks, and my 5th grader takes either pickles or hot peppers to school for snack.

I'm thinking of limiting that to once or twice a week, as I'm not sure it's actually so healthy on the stomach to have that daily.....even when the alternative is chips or bissli....

True. But to give or receive pickles or hot peppers rather than candy rollers or shpritz or dipping gel or whatever pure garbage is given out will not label the kid a nerd, and other parents will bless you.

BTW, candy rollers are truly gross. My 11 yr old calls it colored deodorant after I introduced him to roll-on deodorant. I can't look at the candy anymore without gagging a bit.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:40 am
keym wrote:
True. But to give or receive pickles or hot peppers rather than candy rollers or shpritz or dipping gel or whatever pure garbage is given out will not label the kid a nerd, and other parents will bless you.

BTW, candy rollers are truly gross. My 11 yr old calls it colored deodorant after I introduced him to roll-on deodorant. I can't look at the candy anymore without gagging a bit.

Totally agree, the stuff they market to kids nowadays is sickening.

I'm actually thinking of doing this for my DD (my big girls did this a couple of years ago when they were her age) - the girls were cowboys (or cowgirls....hair in braids and cute makeup, cowboy hats, vests, and bandanas). They gave out mm with a package of taco chips, pickles, hot peppers, and iced tea, cutely packaged with a bandana (I had managed to get a bunch cheaply on ebay.)

keym

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 6:47 am
Chayalle wrote:
Totally agree, the stuff they market to kids nowadays is sickening.

I'm actually thinking of doing this for my DD (my big girls did this a couple of years ago when they were her age) - the girls were cowboys (or cowgirls....hair in braids and cute makeup, cowboy hats, vests, and bandanas). They gave out mm with a package of taco chips, pickles, hot peppers, and iced tea, cutely packaged with a bandana (I had managed to get a bunch cheaply on ebay.)

My daughter's friend did that last year. Gave out tortilla chips, salsa, and hot peppers. Coolest shalach manos on the block.

The other cool one was dressed in Starbucks apron etc. Gave out boxed capucino and danish pkged in a hot cup with a lid.

acemom

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:10 am
thunderstorm wrote:
There are two days a year that I just "let it go" and the nosh wins. Purim and Simchas Torah.
I limit it by only allowing my kids to give up to four friends , not more. This usually ends up being two neighborhood friends and two classmate friends .

Same here.
I found my kids were never interested in all the junk and nosh anyway. They ate one or two pieces (maybe three...) and put the rest away for a later date.
They usually forgot to ask for the leftover nosh and I tossed it after a week.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:00 am
acemom, that's my experience too. I just look away and let them eat whatever they want on Purim. My only rule is you have to eat a normal breakfast. I find once the restrictions are relaxed, they don't care so much for it all. I put it away for "tomorrow" and usually they forget about it. I have one who loves candy and she doesn't always forget, so we have a little bit for a few days after and then she also forgets. Its just cool to have, not necessarily to eat.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:25 am
Trader joes has some fun stuff like pareve sun butter cups, kettle corn in individual bags etc. My kids thing its junky enough for school snacks but its not super gross.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:41 pm
Unfortunately I don't think the kids are interested in things like homemade rolls and mini kugels (I did that once and they probably all ended up in the garbage). I usually have my kids give something fairly simple which is nosh but not crazy candy (e.g. bag of chips, juice box/ mini water bottle, fruit strip, chocolate wafer). What makes it not nerdy is the packaging that ties it into our costumes. For example, when my kids dressed up as construction workers we packaged their MM in large plastic cups with an orange napkin wrapped around to make it look like a construction orange cone.

The good news is that when girls get to be teenagers they think it's cool to give their friends things like salads, dips, and the like.

BA

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:28 pm
I love the idea of a cute prize like item along with a healthier type food

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:52 pm
My grandchildren love string cheese and crackers. I would think that they would not think that it's nerdy. Kids will also eat single serving applesauce. It probably matters how it's packed since it is all in the presentation.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:13 am
My kids, at age 8, would never have gone for this. It’s purim, once a yr, let them give what they want, within budget and reason. Make them involved in all the decisions- packaging, colors etc. To avoid waste, try to give things that kids would take to school for snack/ eat for a Shabbos treat. Packaged items can be given to Tomchei Shabbos or a food pantry. I don’t think they would be thrown out. I like the one drink, one snack, one nosh structure. Where I live, 8 yr olds don’t do juice boxes. My kids aren’t such soda fans. They prefer to give iced tea or lemonade.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:20 am
I don’t throw out wrapped candy. If my kids don’t like it, I donate it. If they do, I save it for Shabbos. I almost never buy candy. What they get on Simchas Torah, is eaten through Purim. On Shushan Purim, we go through everything and sort. We have a “give away” box, a box for treats containing flour that we finish before Pesach, because we don’t sell chametz gamur, and a box of other candy/ snacks that we sell and eat after pesach. It usually lasts us until simchas Torah, lol.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics