Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
APT living- Do you try to minimize the noise?

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:41 pm
I live on a floor with neighbors directly above and below us. I’m so careful about the noise we make, constantly stopping the running, jumping, noisy toys on the floor etc.

It seems like my upstairs neighbor doesn’t do this. The noise from above drives me crazy.

Do you think it’s ill mannered that they just make noise and are not considerate, or is it just an acceptable part of apartment living?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:43 pm
Normal living noise is OK and part of apartment living. But outdoor toys like bikes, balls, jump ropes, pogo sticks, and roller skates are unacceptable.
Some things like doll strollers & pushing a chair make little noise in your home but downstairs its heard pretty loudly.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:44 pm
Its a normal part of apt living. Obviously 2am isnt acceptable, but regular playing and little kids running is just part of life.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 7:51 pm
Some noise is unavoidable but people should be as considerate as possible. TVs and music should not be loud enough to be heard by the neighbors but babies cry and people use toilets at all hours.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:02 pm
Depending on how your building was made, sometimes a person walking around can sound like a stomping elephant. I've lived in that setup and it's not fun but I couldn't blame the upstairs neighbors for living life. Now I live on the first floor and share walls with a neighbor next door, plus I have someone above me. For the most part we don't have to think too much about noise because our building is well insulated. But there are still some basics, like music kept to a respectful volume, no bouncing balls, and in general we keep the noise level down during quieter hours like morning and late evening. My upstairs neighbor has a dog who barks sometimes. It is what it is.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:14 pm
you should be considerate of noise before 7 and after lets say 9 but as someone said even normal walking can be dreadful. I had a downstairs neighbor who went on the treadmill. she asked the downstairs neighbor before renting the apt but she didn't realize it would make the upstairs neighbor's (me) apt shake as well. I'm so glad I don't live in an apt anymore!

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 8:54 pm
Op here.
So you’re saying that kids can run and jump as they please and I don’t need to stop them if it’s not early morning or late at night?
Doesn’t seem right to me.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:10 pm
I live on top floor of apartment building, my kids love to race around the Dining room table and dance to music after school.
My downstairs neighbor can't stand the running and jumping. Am I supposed to stop the kids from being KIDS and having a good time?

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
I live on top floor of apartment building, my kids love to race around the Dining room table and dance to music after school.
My downstairs neighbor can't stand the running and jumping. Am I supposed to stop the kids from being KIDS and having a good time?

Yes.
Because having a good time while bothering others is inconsiderate.
You can use it as an opportunity to teach your children consideration for others.

And I think it’s precisely because you live on a top floor that you have no idea what the noise sounds like because you don’t experience anyone’s noise on top of you.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:32 pm
I live in an apartment in a solid building and I do try to keep it down. Yes, kids can be kids, but only during the day and only within reason. Like if they jump around occasionally then that's life but a game of jump rope that's going to be boom boom boom boom is not an apartment activity. My kids do like to jump and hop around, randomly to get from place to place, I don't make a big deal out of it most of the time but I do have a mini trampoline so if they're doing it a lot I send them to the trampoline which hopefully absorbs much of the impact, and whether on or off the trampoline we have a rule of no jumping after supper.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 9:48 pm
Amother purple, regularly running & jumping around in the house is inconsiderate of the neighbors downstairs. If your kids must run and jump, maybe consider getting carpet for the dining room.

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 2:27 am
I've 4 kids under 3 who are very... busy. We bought an apartment in a building full of pensioners. Only one has complained (he and his wife go to sleep from 2pm to 4pm. And yes I'm jealous!) so during those times I try to take everyone outside or at least keep the chaos to a minimum.

Aylat

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 2:50 am
amother wrote:
Op here.
So you’re saying that kids can run and jump as they please and I don’t need to stop them if it’s not early morning or late at night?
Doesn’t seem right to me.

Yes. Kids need to be kids, and that includes running and jumping in normal play around the house during daytime hours.

Spaghetti7

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:47 am
We have lived in many apartments, some above, some below, and some between other apartments. I feel like any amount of kid noise is acceptable and unavoidable. I can hear my upstairs' neighbours' children crying in the middle of the night sometimes. I hear them waking up in the morning and jumping up and down, rolling who knows what across the floor, moving furniture, all of it. And you know what, when we lived above people, I'm sure they heard us too.
Kids are kids. Really a good idea where at all possible to live in an apartment building with other families with kids. Then everyone can just relax and be understanding that yes, all children do make noise.
We have lived in apartment buildings where some families had kids and some were older retired people and that was HARD because it's just a different stage of life and requirements.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette